Window Washer Fluid

fwdmopar

Anybody here run window washer fluid in their alcohol kits? I've heard of some people doing this. They say to run the one that says it has methanol in it. I'm installing my SMC kit this morning.
I can get a gallon of the window washer fluid in question for about $2.50, whereas I'm looking at colser to $10.00 for the isopropal, or the like.
Thanks.

WW fluid has all different kinds of alcohols in it, and usually they are all different. They are mostly isopropyl and water, and give off fewer BTU's compared to denatured.

Guys used to run WW fluid years ago, but they switched to cleaner and better burning alcohols.

Denatured has methanol in it also BTW

Go for it! The btu content is not all that important. Be sure to use a 2 second squirt of w-d 40, or a capfull of Klotz. You can always add some denatured to the mix if tuning becomes a problem.

Yes I've heard of people using it successfully! :)

That's all I've used so far. I use the .75/gal blue stuff. Waiting for an "after winter" sale to get the high octane orange stuff.

Thanks guys. I've got some of the blue stuff, and I also picked up a gallon of denatured alcohol.

R-R is probably going through a lot more alcohol than we ever will if he's using it to tow. R-R how big is your tank?

FWD Mopar does your blue stuff tell you whats in it?

What it does say is:

Contains Methanol

Then lots of poison warnings etc.

Not a true list of ingredients though.

BTW, I didn't get the kit installed afterall today. I forgot our local car club meeting was today. Besides it was raining like crazy and I'm going to be working outside.

Thats what I dont like about w/w fluid, is you dont know whats in it and that can cause inconsistencies. It says contains methanol because it has to by law so some alcoholic doesnt try to drink it

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Why dont you use it Tim?

Actually I never thought of it! :) Sounds cheap enough, and easy to see the level in the bottle. I doubt it has methanol in it, way too corrosive...

Hmmm, I wonder if there are lubricants in the mix...

Oh it has methanol in it for reasons I listed above. Thats why denatured has methanol also. Every bottle I have ever looked at says "contains methanol". Its such a small % that it doesnt damage the pump

Does anyone have some sort of hydrometer that would measure the % of methanol? Whatever % it is, I notice the blue stuff is not considered flammable while the HD orange stuff has warnings all over saying "flammable".

Well I can vouch for one thing, denatured alcohol with between 60 and 70% is VERY flammable.

Took two weeks for my eyebrows to grow back:mad:

Dont ask

Hey Now!

Well, I got to install the SMC kit today. Me and my 300+lb friend took it for a spin without increasing the boost from the 15-16 point at which it was already at. It was noticably faster then when I drove it to his house by myself earlier. I was reading 1.06 on the 02's and 1450 EGT's. Then I started uping the boost. I got it to about 18 and still plenty rich. It was pulling so hard and then POW!!! All the power was gone, but my car was stlill running and idling quite smooth. That was scarey ;) So I got a look at it and found I had blown the hose right off the turbo that was going to the I/C. I put an extra clamp on it and took it out again with a tad more boost. I have about 18.5-19 psi and I'm still plenty rich and it's faster then ever. I'll hook up the scan tool tomorrow if the weather holds up, and try dialing it a bit further. I'm going to need new tires.

Warren ****ens
89 Daytona C/S
2.5L completely rebuilt 25k ago
TII Turbo / 2.5" Swingvalve
Ported Exhaust Manifold
3" Mandrel exhaust
Phantom Grip Limited Slip
SMC Alcohol Injection
TII I/C

Since it is still pig rich turn the pump speed down a little and see if it helps. Also where do you have the kit turning on at? It should be a little before your old max boost level before installing the kit

I'll play with the pump speed for sure, when I have the scanner hooked up. It's coming on a little early, but the boost comes up so fast that I set it lower to make sure it was there when I needed it. It's not causing any stumble so I figure it's not too early. I'll post again with the final tuning results. It may be a couple of days, I think yesterday was the last dry day around here for a few days.

about the windshield washer fluid, try contacting the manufacturer and have them fax ya a msds sheet;) That will tell you everything thats in it!

Good idea but......they keep the manufacturer a secret. The stuff I'm using says "Made in USA for Wal Mart Inc."