You can type here any text you want

Winter GN Build Advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

peachnbeast

Well looking for some advice and input on my GN build. I picked up a 87 a few years ago that had 100k miles on it.
I want to update the engine compartment,suspension and rebuild the motor. To be honest I'm a mustang guy. I have always loved the GN's and couldn't wait to find one. I can't believe all the aftermarket stuff for them. I don't have a 1/4 mile goal, and I want the car to be a cruiser. All the engine work will be done in house, was looking to replace the exhaust manifolds and the hot side. My friend was looking at building everything but I found some kits from vendors here that we couldn't build them ourselves for what they charge. Also want to upgrade the turbo. The car has a cold air kit bigger injectors and a chip. It ran a 13.1 at the track just throwing it in drive on going. Thats fine for me because its a blast to drive. So I'm looking at stock bottom end rebuild....
Heads? stock ones fine or should they be upgraded?
Cam?
injectors.. I believe they are 42# now with a upgraded fuel pump
intake?
turbo?
radiator?
Stick with a chip for tuning ? or my friend has a electromotive Tec GT that i can get cheap
I'm sure there is more but I need a starting point so I can start getting parts together. We will be pulling motor this week.

Wow, you are making it difficult for anyone to offer a good suggestion, because a "cruiser" is a relative term. to some it is low 12's, what you seem already to posess and to others it is a 9 second car! If you coud narrow it down a little more, we would be better able to help w/suggestions. A good street cruiser is best simplified, as "grumpy" would say, KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid.
The 42#ers have been in the high 10's along w/the stock cam, heads,etc. w/a TT chip. So depending on price,the elecmotive TEC really isn't nescessary,tho you still have to monitor the engine w/cheaper but reliable tuning gear. Like scanmaster and power logger, unless you want to go low 10's and faster. then reliability/longevity comes into question when cracking the 10's also. Don't forget the transmission, it is the weak link when making power. There are several good vendors on here like Lonnie and Chris, whom I have personal experience with and can testify of their work and products. Hope this helps.

Pretty much from what I've read I was leaning on a stock rebuild. The car has a Art Carr tranny. The TEC GT my friend has and I am familiar with the software. And it's cheap coming from my friend. So The only real thing left is the turbo. What would be a good upgrade to the stock one?

Back