Winter storage for the SMC kit

S

SMOKINV6

I recently put the SMC alky kit on and wondered what to do for winter storage. As of now I plan to just fill it full of denatured and leave it alone. Anybody know the freeze point of denatured? Anyone have any recomendations? Thanks Marty

That's how I plan to store mine. I know that you are supposed to keep the pump "wet" so that it won't dry out.

If it gets cold enough that the Denatured alchy freezes you are in trouble. :eek:

I thought alcohol used to be used as a antifreeze. Anybody know denatured alkys freeze point?

alky

smokinV6,
You are right - it was used as antifreeze at one point. Here are the specifications on Ethanol. It melts at –114.1°C, boils at 78.5°C, and has a density of 0.789 g/mL at 20°C. Its low freezing point has made it useful as the fluid in thermometers for temperatures below –40°C, the freezing point of mercury, and for other low-temperature purposes, such as for antifreeze in automobile radiators.
Ever put some Vodka or Whiskey in the freezer to chill it? It doesn't freeze. A 1-ounce shot of 100-proof whiskey contains 0.5 fluid ounces of ethanol. Denatured ethanol contains small amounts, 1 or 2 percent each, of several different unpleasant or poisonous substances. I hope this helps all. Later...;)

forgot to add...

The exact freezing point of PURE ethanol is -112Cdegrees. I don't think you should have anything to worry about. :D