You can type here any text you want

Wintertime pinging

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NJ Turbo

Hi guys. Maybe I can get a comment on this issue.
I have a 9k mile 87 grand national I have owned for 4 years. 2 years ago I installed the following parts. hotwirekit, k&n filter, adjustable fuel pressure regulator 41 psi, acuator/boost controller set at 17psi, 160 thermostat, and TT chip customized for the mentioned fuel and boost. Car ran fantastic and was a night and day difference.
Then my issue started when I decided to remove cat and put test pipe in. It started to ping/knock at high rpm. I decided to remove my k&n filter and install stock airbox back in and that seemed to cure the issue in the warm summertime weather. I pulled the car back out after a few months and drove it with air temps at 34 degrees recently and she is back. My question to you guys is this. Could I possibly get by with just upgrading to a bigger fuel pump? Or will I have to go bigger fuel pump, injectors, and new tt chip as I have kinda researched on google. Like I said when I switched back to stock airbox in summer it cleaned her up but now with the cold air Im assuming I was probably walking the threshold anyway when I removed cat and am hoping I can just get by with a bigger fuel pump. Thanks for your time guys!

Pulling the cat and stock air box allowed more air flow. Cold air +that extra flow= more fuel needed. You can bump up the base fuel some with the TT chip. What's your fuel pressure set at, 43? See what happens. I assume you have a Scanmaster? How much knock and what rpm? If you don't have a Scanmaster and are "hearing" knock that's bad. It can knock long b/f you hear it. If it's the original fuel pump it may be all done. Fuel filter could be clogged too. Nothing will kill a TB faster than a weak fuel system or bad tune.

i will take a guess theres noscanmaster since you call it ping/knock so its audible and you didnt state a KR number ..you need to have a scanmaster
with a scanmaster (or other old scool scan tool) check the o2s and kR counts... cold weather needs more fuel and you freed up the flow needs more fuel , as mentioned this can be bumped up in the chip , but you need to know what the 02s are now, you may need a pump and a fresh filter
what boost ? you may be over boosting do you have areal boost gauge
what fuel + how old is it ? 93octane i hope i dont assume anything anymore , fuel looses octane over time and does go bad, even garaged its junk within three months , you may need to drain the tank and try some fresh gas .. 93octane

Last edited:
The stock fuel pump is barely adequate for a stock car. Once you remove the air box and have a chip with even a small increase in boost it will be lean 9 times out of 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your replies guys. I do have a boost guage and its reading 17psi. Before I had the cat removed I was at 17psi. Once I removed the cat she shot up to 20 psi so I backed it down back to 17. I guess I will start with an upgraded fuel pump in the upcoming weeks and see how it goes. Really dont want to have to get bigger injectors and a new chip, so hopefully this helps. Also, I do not have a scan master. My afr I believe was right around 14.1 at WOT if this also helps which seems to be way lean. Never thought removing a cat on a turbo car would lean so much. I guess the crisp cold air magnified that too

Get a Scanmaster first! If the rest of the car is stock other than what you put on then there is no need for larger injectors.

When my secondary fuel pump died my car ran a 14.5 afr at wot for maybe 5 seconds. This was enough to cause need for a full rebuild. No knock either. You are playing with fire. Get a Scanmaster and turn down that boost until you upgrade your fuel system.

Back