You can type here any text you want

Wipers stop mid-windshield when turned off

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jmidolo

Sexy MF Joe
When you turn the wipers off (Car has delay wipers) the wipers will stop right where they are when you turn the switch off. Pretty sure (going way back) that it's the actual switch in the wiper motor that controls the park and is bad. Do I need to replace the whole wiper motor or is that switch on the motor replacable seperately??

Park: A mechanical arm riding on a wheel attached to the wiper motor keeps the relay contacts closed until the wipers park or complete the last sweep. After this last sweep the mechanical arm falls into a detent permitting the relay contacts to open. This stops the wiper motor, and the wiper blades remain in park.

I would pull the cover off the motor and have a looksee, detent wheel is visible with the cover off.

Hey Joe,

Has this car always done this or just started to recently?? Reason I ask is because if the steering column has been out of the car and replaced, it's possible that you have the wrong column which would make the switch pins at the connector not be correct.

Besides, there's always Rain X! :D

Originally posted by salvageV6
Park: A mechanical arm riding on a wheel attached to the wiper motor keeps the relay contacts closed until the wipers park or complete the last sweep. After this last sweep the mechanical arm falls into a detent permitting the relay contacts to open. This stops the wiper motor, and the wiper blades remain in park.

I would pull the cover off the motor and have a looksee, detent wheel is visible with the cover off.

Yea, I've seen that before on a Buick I had way back when. Did the same thing. I can't recall whether I replaced the motor or the switch in the column!

Back