wire connection

sandman524

I had a connection located just behind the alternator, coming out of a wire harness for my 86 gn that had both wires insulation frayed and touching together. It's 2 white wires coming into a green male connector to a black female connector with one black wire. Is this a simple ground for something, or is it something else???

The two white wires are actually the tach signal from the CCCI and then over to the engine harness, to the dash, then ultimately to the bargraph boost/tach module. IF the green connector is connected to the black connector with the gray wire, your bargraph tach won't work properly.
DO NOT CONNECT THESE TWO connectors together!
DO NOT CONNECT THESE TWO connectors together!
Did I remember to mention not to connect the connectors together?
PS If your tach pegs out on RPM's on your car, check to see if they're connected together.
-John Spina
http://www.casperselectronics.com

Did anyone mention not to hook those together? Also, the single wire plug is the test lead for the fuel pump.

ok, so how should I fix this then??? btw, my tach hasn't worked since I got the car...car's been running pretty bad...pukin and no power when I give it full throttle...are they related somehow???

Unplug the green connector from the black connector, and leave them apart,, your tach may work. Tape the frayed wires the best you can.

The pair of white wires are supposed to be connected together in a male terminal within the green connector. If the two white wires aren't securely attached to each other, your tach won't work. And, since the white wire is internally connected to the CCCI module, you run the risk of damaging a component in the module when you feed that wire with 12 volts (which happens when you attach the fuel pump relay feed, black connector with the gray wire, into the green connector). Does this make any sense? I'm starting to think I'm being too wordy...
Anyway, if those two connectors were connected for any length of time, the module itself may have been damaged. If removing the two connectors won't correct the problem, I'd replace the module.
-John Spina
http://www.casperselectronics.com

It makes sense...the green connector and black one were together when I bought it, so...we'll see...so, I can just basically splice the two white wires together, and cap it off, since the green connector is ruined....that right? And, how will I know if the module is bad for sure?