Wire harness in front of dipstick

xrunner123

There is a wire harness (with the oval 3-4" wide covering) that is ran in front of the transdip stick tube instead of behind it. How can I move it behind? It actually runs behind the heater core hoses then in front of the dipstick. Is it easy to remove trans dipstick or remove wires from oval harness and try to stretch the wiring?
Thanks

Should be an oval, plastic bracket clip that clasps the conduit shut and holds it in a certain position. Loosen it and slide the conduit to develop slack. There should be no need to stretch the harness as there is plenty of wiring from the grommet to the engine bay, its probably just caught somewhere. Stretching it would not be easy.

Phil

Do NOT try to stretch the wires. You run the risk of breaking them internally. The dipstick tube is only held in by one bolt for the bellhousing. Just loosen it, pull the tube out, move wire, replace tube.

Squid

By stretching, I assumed you meant cutting them all and resoldering them with shrink wrap on each wire NOT pullin on em :O. But since its not a custom app, the harness should fit perfect.

Phil

PhilM said:
By stretching, I assumed you meant cutting them all and resoldering them with shrink wrap on each wire NOT pullin on em :O. But since its not a custom app, the harness should fit perfect.

Phil

I meant talking the wires out of the conduit and trying to get slack and come over the dipstick. I'm worried about doing this- don't want to break the wires. I hope you're joking about the splicing.

Nope, not joking, i just redid my harness for Gen7. Cut ECM end connector off to install the DFI units. Crimped, soldered, defluxed every termination. Luckily I only had to chop and relocate about 30 wires in the engine bay so that the harness hidden...I just dont like to ever worry about a wiring problem.

Phil

Has your transmission been replaced? Sometimes when reinstalling the trans, the dipstick tube can slip behind the wiring harness instead of in front of it. This happened to me twice. The trans work was performed by a builder on this board. :eek:

I removed the bolt on top holding the dipstick tube (a real pain, but be patient, it can be done) removed the tube, and reinstalled it with the wiring harness postitioned correctly (behind) the tube.