Wireless help! Help me be a hero!

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Trying to use my laptop to connect to our WIFI setup at work. It is saying on am connected and the signal strength is excellent but I can't get on the internet. Brought my own laptop in to the day job today to try and figure out why people can't get on with their laptops. Our IT dept is pretty much worthless and hasn't helped me out on this since it isn't the regular secure network. It is an unsecured public WIFI deal so don't see what the problem could be.

I don't have any problem getting online at home or at other places that have WIFI.

It is probably one of those feeds where you have to go to a specific IP address first and log on then it will open the rest of the net... Like in some Hotels etc... It doesn't sound "public" to me though...

Trying to use my laptop to connect to our WIFI setup at work. It is saying on am connected and the signal strength is excellent but I can't get on the internet. Brought my own laptop in to the day job today to try and figure out why people can't get on with their laptops. Our IT dept is pretty much worthless and hasn't helped me out on this since it isn't the regular secure network. It is an unsecured public WIFI deal so don't see what the problem could be.

I don't have any problem getting online at home or at other places that have WIFI.

They may have MAC address filtering on - what that does is only allow traffic out to the internet if the network card has a MAC address that matches a predefined list.

Its old school security - the reality is - anyone with a brain can spoof their MAC and bypass that.....

Do you have ANY machines that do work on this internet connection?

Have you considered that your IT department put up a wireless router that actually isnt connected to anything just to mess with you guys?

assuming XP - start/control panel/network.
right click the wireless and go to status/support/details

give me the stuff in that box - and Ill give you some things to test.....

What OS are you using on your laptop?

Has anybody ever been able to browse the internet using this connection?

Do you know where the access point is? If it is seperate from your normal network then how is it hitting the cloud.

Do an ipconfig from a cmd prompt and tell us what IP you get including the gateway. Just want to see what class it is setup with (probably Class C though).

Might have to change the class IP the DHCP settings are giving out from this router. Can cause conflicts depending on the setup.

NO one can connect with this WIFI setup. Messed around with it for about an hour today and had to walk away from it. Too busy to be messing around with this so I dropped it. My network computer works fine, was just trying to help the folks with laptops. The IT guys will have to earn their big $$$$ on this one, I'm done and thanks for the advice anyway.