You can type here any text you want

Wiring

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

USMC_Turbo6

I'm having electrical wiring problems 86 Buick Grand National . I have cross wiring issues somewhere. What I mean by that is... when I turn the left blinker on the hazard lights come on. When I hit the power seat switches the interior lights come on. Also when the battery is connected the lights on the gauges stay on constantly.

I just put the motor back into the car. All of the grounds are brand new connections with new wiring and were checked and double check by the friends that were helping me install the motor to the car.

However this didn't start happening until after I had a shop in North Carolina do some work to the car by installing my power logger and removing a aftermarket alarm system that was given the car problems by going off randomly.

After to speaking to a certified auto electrician with over 35yrs experience he told me that I needed to clean and locate all the grounds on my vehicle. NOT just the basic grounds.... all the components grounds also. He explained that my car should have 50 grounding locations. Does anyone have a list of all the grounds or schematics that can help point out all the locations of the grounds?

He explained that it would help me diagnose any problems with the car and help with the overall performance.

Last edited:
couple weeks ago a guy came along and when he turned the blinkers on the clearance lights came on.turned out the reverse light was in the brake light socket and vice versa.any changes to the bulbs lately?

i would take the fuses out of anything that has a problem.and put one in at a time and see if the issue goes away until one certain one is in.then that would be the circuit i would start with.
see if something comes on when that fuse is pulled?
just spitballing,i do alot of electrical gremlin stuff .

My back just hurts thinking about how much time it'll take fixing wires under the steering column by the fuse box. I'd disconnect all aftermarket wires as well to eliminate if one is spliced to the wrong thing (12v batt linked right to illumination turn on etc). I bet if you left the car on overnight, the battery dies, so a 12v source non switched is connected to the wrong thing for sure.

I will be going to war with my car on Saturday and Sunday to try and fix it. TurboTnZ06 the gauge lights stay on when i turn the car off

Sounds to me as tho the alarm removal is the culprit. Was it a factory alarm?
The "removal expert" may have done enuf cutting, etc, to trigger the alarm on a constant basis.

Your expert is right but he makes it sound harder than it really is. The main ground (negative battery cable) goes from the battery to the engine block. From there it is up to the ground straps from the body to the engine to ground the body of the car. Like the one from the bell housing bolt to the firewall. Always keep it in mind that the engine block is the main ground for entire car. Ground straps added from the engine to body better ground the body.

I would agree with Chuck. Go over the alarm connections.

Rick

I recall having a similar issue with the blinkers and hazards... I pulled and fiddled with the bulbs and the problem was fixed by doing so. Might be worth double checking before going through the hassle of tackling that wire harness.

Back