woofers in the rear seat side panels?

BuickMike

Money pit
So one of my biggest gripes with car audio is the hole in the frequency range between the subs and the midbass drivers. I like to set the crossover on my subs around 80hz max and most midbass drivers just don't produce bass frequencies below 200hz as well as I like. I was reading up on Richard Clark's GN and remembered that he used 12"s in the panels beside the rear seat to fill in the gap between the subs and the horns. So now I'm thinking to put my components in the kick panels, beefy 6.5"s or 8"s in the rear seat panels, and a sub or 2 in the trunk. Thoughts?

I'm not big on 6X9's and adaptor plates. I have a pair of 4" plate speakers I may put in for rear fill. I'm just thinking some small woofers in enclosures by the back seat would fill that lower-midbass gap that most car audio systems have.

you can these in 4inch or 5 1/4 inch
DM03132 $128.14
1978-1988 Monte Carlo and Malibu (2 door) LH & RH rear panel set designed to hold modern day speakers. Want more sound without cutting or drilling on your classic vehicle? These new ?rear panels? sound great, enhance interior appearance and affords a ?no modification? fit. They come with (2) 4" speakers with 50 watts RMS and 150 watt Max. A great addition to any G-body car for the music lover! (No sheet metal cutting required to install speakers!) - Med. Dark Grey (Opal)

DM03133 $136.14
1978-1988 Monte Carlo and Malibu (2 door) LH & RH rear panel set designed to hold modern day speakers. Want more sound for your classic vehicle? These new rear panels sound great and enhance interior appearance. They come with (2) 5 1/4" speakers 60 watt RMS and 180 watt Max. A great addition to any G-body car for the music lover! (Some sheet metal cutting required depending on speaker choice. ) - Med. Dark Grey (Opal)

I'll probably make my own fiberglass encloseures and use a factory style panel to cover them. I also want woffers in there, not coaxials.

unless you go with a real shallow speaker you will have to cut a hole in the side behind the sail panel. I have 6" drivers back there , I had to cut a small hole for the magnet

I stuck 6x9's behind the panel in the rear arm rests in my cutlass. cut the cardboard backing off the padded area above the arm rest so the sound wasn't muffled. Couldn't tell they were there, unless they were on. Get creative with some fiberglass and dynamat to seal it up, and you could have some pretty good sound from there.

I stuck 6x9's behind the panel in the rear arm rests in my cutlass. cut the cardboard backing off the padded area above the arm rest so the sound wasn't muffled. Couldn't tell they were there, unless they were on. Get creative with some fiberglass and dynamat to seal it up, and you could have some pretty good sound from there.

unless you go with a real shallow speaker you will have to cut a hole in the side behind the sail panel. I have 6" drivers back there , I had to cut a small hole for the magnet
So a 6 1/2" speaker will fit in these panels??? Thanks Mike

I just saw that Richard Clark fit 12's in those panels at one time. I assumed that some 6.5's would be no problem. Maybe I will just mount the mid bass drivers in an enclosure in the rear deck.

I didn't buy the panels . I made my own.
But they will fit in that area. Just take out the cloth
Covered cardboard, trace On a piece of 1/4 in plywood ,
add a speaker ring , some cloth and voila !

All good high end manufacturers make drivers that will cover the midbass easily. You have to know what you are looking for. If you want it out of a 5 or a 5.25 your options are very limited.

I took the panels out and see how you really can't fit much without hacking thing up. My idea of mid bass is a little different than others. I want them to repond down to 100hz.