You can type here any text you want

WRX Gets Schooled

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

XLR8

Lost at Altitude
I was cruisng in my GN with the T-Tops off enjoying the sun minding my own business going around 62mph (in a 55 zone) with the cruise control on. I notice a blue Subaru coming up fairly quickly on the 4 lane road. Since I was just enjoying the weather, I let him pass at around 75 and ignored him. About 1 mile up the road, with him way in front, he takes the same turn I need to take. I didn't see him after the turn since he was way ahead of my through a twisty section of road about a mile long. When I get to my turn-off which is on straight 4 lane road, the WRX is going 10 mph waiting for me. When he sees me turn to follow he speeds up to about 30 - I'm nut sure what gear he was in but his fart can was buzzing. I pull next to him in the left lane in second gear riding the brake with about 5# of boost built. I look over as I get next to the kid, he nods and floors his car. My car was set on stun (23* timing & 22# boost) as I nail it, shift into drive, glance at my boost gauge see 22#, check the Scanmaster see 0 KR and 820 O2s. When the car shifts into 3rd, I glance to the other lane and the Subaru is no where to be seen, I look in the mirror and see him at least 8 cars back and fading fast. I shut down right after that and took the next street and slowed down to see if the kid would follow. In my mirror I saw him shoot past still flat footed?? I don't get what the big deal is about the WRX's at all - in least in a straight line.

good kill,my neighbor has one went for a couple rides and drove one.once stock and now with a few mods quick car up until third threw me back and im 6'2 210lbs. but still i frown down on this nonsense. here is the problem. to me these idiots who gian h.p buy reading these dumb ass jap crap fag mags think by adding a noise can and 100h.p in stickers and all the bull**** body kits and dumb lights think they did something.dont get me wrong im from da bronx and have seen alot of quick jap crap, but $ per h.p is not worth it. yes i own jap crap but too commute and drive, my wife and i have identical corolla s model.,both with the same mods off e- bay while they all helped into making it peppier and a little fun im not going to challenge anyone. i must vent this **** cause its stupid trying to turn econo cars into something it was never ment to be, i may be gen x but 85%of the time i could walk up to any car in a show and de-code the vin and chit chat with the old timers about the good ole days and only wish,any one think a civic or integre or any jap crap will b around 10,15 even 20 years from now,i doubt and hope not.by the way im looking for a gn or t-type in the tri state area between 7to 10g's any help i would appreciate it. i have more to sa but its a waste and it would make me want to race my"commuter car"

Was it a WRX Sti? It has the rediculously tall wing and a large hood scoop. Those things are fast, low 13's/high 12's stock.
Nice kill!:D

Originally posted by TommyV8
Was it a WRX Sti? It has the rediculously tall wing and a large hood scoop. Those things are fast, low 13's/high 12's stock.
Nice kill!:D

They're quick, but not fast. You may see a low 13, but only at like 103-105 mph. Heavy mods obviously change the equation.

I always here about how quick they are from a stop, but I've taken the few I've raced right outta the hole. I guess I haven't come across a guy willing to punish his drivetrain to get the killer launch. If you're near them out of the hole, it's easy to walk away on the top. At least that's been my limited experience with them and the one EVO VIII I've raced.

Originally posted by gnxs
They're quick, but not fast. You may see a low 13, but only at like 103-105 mph. Heavy mods obviously change the equation.

I always here about how quick they are from a stop, but I've taken the few I've raced right outta the hole. I guess I haven't come across a guy willing to punish his drivetrain to get the killer launch. If you're near them out of the hole, it's easy to walk away on the top. At least that's been my limited experience with them and the one EVO VIII I've raced.

my neighbor knows how to drive, he has power shifted not good but it launches pretty good i think he's worried about the warranty cause he financed it and doesn't want to mess up the drive train.and it has the wing and hood scoop were the intercooler is, good design by subaru and gold rims ewwww. but hey not my cup of tea but still fast too kill a lot of domestic cars.

Good kill. I ran a best e/t with my stock STi of a 13.239@101. This was with all season tires (stock are race tires). I smoked my front two off the line and got rubber outt all 4 goin into 2nd. This was for a constant 1.7xx 60ft. Now the car has header, up-pipe, ported turbo wastegate, 3"downpipe with divorced wastegate, 3" titanium cat back (8lbs total), piggyback computer runnin stage two untuned, and a front mount i/c with 1,197ci core, and a short ram intake. This should be good for mid 12's. Gotta watch out for some WRX's, others gotta watch you.

Nick

I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I have never seen a WRX or STI run an 11 up here on the mountain.

i bet there up here. on wed. nights theres always some old guy with a blue wrx. he has a big beard, you'd probably know who i'm talking about if you've seen him. probably one of the smartest peopel i've meet up there, he claims to have the fastest stock turbo wrx in the country. right now i think hes running low 12's. but i'm sure that car is dialed in beyond anything anyone here has ever seen.

I've never seen any hit an 11 yet though.

Easy Street Motorsports is in the 9's with their WRX. They make kits for 740hp, 500hp, etc. That is an example, I know of two more on the WRX forums that are in that range (sub 12's) not with ESX. You will start to see STi's dipping in there pretty soon, the new piggy back computer just came out. The WRX is the next generation DSM.

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
I know of two more on the WRX forums that are in that range (sub 12's) not with ESX.
Nick [/B]

At Bandimere in Colorado?

Swedens fastest Subaru Impreza runs a 7.74 on 201 meters. Fast, but not fu--ing fast :)

Btw... I took a WRX on the highway a couple of days ago.
I wanted to run from a stop, but didnt get the chance. He then did a "ricer flyby"

Daniel

My roommate is a Subaru technician and he has told me some horror stories about the WRX drivetrain. He has rebuilt several WRX trannys or replaced clutches in cars with less than 7K miles. They simply do not hold up to prolonged abuse. He brought home an '05 WRX last week and we beat the crap out of it for about 45 min. and the damn thing clunks at every shift and doesn't build boost until 4K RPMs....I was not impressed :rolleyes:

ya my neighbor said some similar stuff like that,sometimes miss shifts and he gets worried. but do you think subaru collected parts together with out any real testing ie how a real driver would drive these things ,instead of testing it on some factory proving ground.also in the near future sooner than i hope some one is rumered to get an evo3 in my hood. I read about this car only has power steering and brakes no ac,pw,pl,or abs el strippo. fast.first im going to race him in my 79 ta ,then my boy rob in his 87 gn which im willing to bet my life with slicks and good launch easily low,low 10 sec wicked fast and scary on the street;bastard wont sell to me ever,car has almost every mod i could think of except parachute, wheelie bars.

The 5spd is pretty weak. But the 6spd is indestructable. The reason that alot of WRX trannies break is the driver sucks. You cant drop the clutch, you have to ride it out pretty long. Alot of people dont know how to do that. My motto "a clutch is cheaper than a trans."

Nick

I thought the STi was the bomb diggy until I found out that subaru gave them cast pistons. WTF were they thinkIN?

Back