WTF happened to my car?

Blasphemous

I start the car, and drive for about 5 minutes, get into the gas a little, only hit enough boost for about 7psi then let off. Knock gauge didn't even move just for the record. About 2 minutes later, I'm slowing down around a corner to get on the interstate and the car dies, quick and quiet, no sputtering or anything. The lights were on, stereo on, everything else worked/works. No warning lights were on before or after that happened. When I tried to start the car again, the starter kicks on, but doesn't spin, it is drawing power though. The oil level is full and so is the coolant. I tried hitting the starter with a hammer and got nothing different. A Scan Tool revealed no error codes or anything out of the ordinary. The car's got 141k miles on it and the mods are listed in my sig. Any other questions or ideas, PLEASE e-mail (availableonly@hotmail.com) or PM me.

Two things come to my mind: 1 the motor locked up for whatever reason??? 2 the crank sensor crapped out thus causing it to die, and the starter problem is a Mr.Murphy thing!

I didn't want to type this but I couldn't think of anything else either. Joe's suspicion is worth checking out. Remove at least 3 spark plugs (driver's side is easiest) and put a socket wrench on the alternator nut and try to turn the engine over by hand. It's better to know on the front end that the engine will spin. Reason being is that when a starter draws power and doesn't spin the engine, it can be a bad thing; it's happened to me on cars at work. If the engine passes that test, then look for a bad connection at the starter or have the starter tested. There are other things to check down the line from these but it's a place to begin for a time-only investment. Good luck and don't freak too badly yet.

Originally posted by gnXfan
What are your iac and tps readings, warm in gear?>

_BOB
I don't remember what the IAC reading was off hand, but the TPS was at .23. I'm going this morning to try and turn it over with a socket on the crank.

Turbov6joe: What's a Mr. Murphy thing?

When the key is turned on ON, but not started, can you hear the fuel pump prime? Maybe a fuse.

I love the cheap tests first.:D

How is the battery connection. It dosen't take much of a connection to run the radio, but it needs a good connection to start the car.

Hows the orange connection behind the battery?

The crank sensor will sure keep the car from running. I use that for a kill switch.

Originally posted by Dan Thompson
When the key is turned on ON, but not started, can you hear the fuel pump prime? Maybe a fuse.

I love the cheap tests first.:D

How is the battery connection. It dosen't take much of a connection to run the radio, but it needs a good connection to start the car.

Hows the orange connection behind the battery?

The crank sensor will sure keep the car from running. I use that for a kill switch.
When the key is on, the pump primes for about 3 seconds. Battery connections are good, checked both the positives and negatives. We tried to jump start the car also, thinking MAYBE it was a dead battery. It doesn't turn over at all, so I don't think it could be the crank sensor.

Ok me and Blasphemous went and looked at it at the food lion parking lot the motor is SIEZED, WTF would cause it to do this on the FREEWAY, i owned this car previously and the only problem i had was rough idle charateristics, where should we go from here?????? The motor just DIED, immediately SIEZED, no idiot lights no fault codes NOTHING!! OIL Is fine COOLANT fine...?? Possibility, next weekend we are going to pull it and tear it down, who the HELL knows what its going to look like....

Wait!!! I have seen a 455 do this, it broke a timing chain and wrapped it around the crank, jamming the motor. Pull the cam sensor and look around closely, it could just be a timing chain!

Easier to pull the timing cover than the whole motor!

It is likely that if this is the failure, you will need a new timing cover.

Other possibilty is a sheared off oil pump shaft, but that would have thrown you an "oil" light from lack of pressure, if it works.

HTH

Chris

To go along with what ChrisF suggested, pull the valve covers and check to see that all the valves are in place...Maybe broke a valve and dropped into the motor and locked it up on the upstroke causing the seized motor...

Maybe try to get a socket and try to rotate the motor over by hand??? Try both clockwise and counterclockwise...

Tried that, the socket idea, DID NOT DO ANYTHING, almost broke a BREAKING bar, the thing was BENDING..any other IDEAS...??

Definitely do the valve covers and timing chain covers like the guys suggested. For it to happen that fast with no warning I would think timing chain. That will shut things down in a HURRY. :(

Keep us updated, last time i seen this happen the crank was snapped and the counter weight smashed a hole in the block (chevy 305) i hope it is only the timing chain.
good luck,
Mike

Front cover should be coming off today, I'll keep everyone updated on what we (me and Power V6) find out.

If it looks anything like the few that I've seen lately there will be NO teeth left. Mine came out this weekend with 70,000 miles and had 3 lost teeth and cracks in most of the nylon. The others were out of 100,000+ miles cars and had 0 teeth on one and 2 on the other. This sounded EXACTLY like what happened to them, but they were fortunate enought to not have locked the motor. Best of luck.

Kev :)