Your Opinion (Converter Vigilante or 9 x 11)

Originally posted by WILD6
DOES ANY ONE KNOWS THE WEIGHT,OF THIS TWO CONVERTERS VIGILIANTE VS 9X11 ???

MY NL ART CARR WEIGHT 2O POUNDS.
ORANGE STRIP 40 POUNDS.

I WILL BE GOING BACK TO LOCKUP AND AFTER MY GOAL 17O MPH.

According to Bruce Toelle the PTS 9X11=26-28lbs.

turbo matt said, "Wow! My Precision weighs 37 lbs.! Ten lbs. of rotating weight right there to get rid of. Hhhrrrmmm?"

Yes, the Multi-disk vig is a lead donut compared to the 9 x 11. I ended up going with the 9 x 11 in my street car (no run time yet :(). The only experience I've had with the Vig was a 4200 stall multidisk l/u unit I had in a cammed '98 Z28. Most ineffecient converter I've had any experience with. The tranny ran cool w/ it though (160-170deg). Sounds like there are rocks in your converter at idle (you could even hear it over an LS1 with open exhaust!) Hitting the lock up switch with it at 6500rpm, and the rpms would fall all the way down to 4900! That is an ineffecient converter. Remember this was a 400hp N/A car, not a TR. My friend Nick just got a Vig for his T, we'll see how it works. Oh yeah, after about 10k miles of moderetaly hard street use, the Vig in my Camaro all the sudden stopped locking up, solenoid was new. Hmmmm... (then I sold that basket case of a car)

at ck performance we have run harder unlocked.as for everyone else,i cant say because we build what we build and they buildwhat they build ,however as the company that powers some of the fastest automatic powered cars in the country i feel people should give us respect especially with all the time we dedicate to the board as well as other companies.we speak from experience not from what the book says works .www.ckperformance.........hey south jersey,enjoy your 9/11.

Originally posted by chris718
at ck performance we have run harder unlocked.as for everyone else,i cant say because we build what we build and they buildwhat they build ,however as the company that powers some of the fastest automatic powered cars in the country i feel people should give us respect especially with all the time we dedicate to the board as well as other companies.we speak from experience not from what the book says works .www.ckperformance.........hey south jersey,enjoy your 9/11.

How come no one on here ever heard of you until you started posting? If your stuff was great you wouldnt have to keep reinforcing it by saying things like "however as the company that powers some of the fastest automatic powered cars in the country i feel people should give us respect especially with all the time we dedicate to the board as well as other companies.we speak from experience not from what the book says works ."
You will also find that most people on here in the 10 and 11 second range run quicker/faster with the convertor locked. Locking the convertor has absolutely nothing to do with who's hands built the trans.

i buy all my stock replacement converters from Pro-Torque, Have been for years, I talked to Joe myself and he told me the same thing, That 3200 is about all he can get with a LOCKUP 10.5,BUT it will stall around 3600-3800 using a transbrake.Which should be great for me With my t72bb turbo i can spool with an art carr that only flashes to 2600 and 3700 on the brake.(this is a nonlockup) I just want to go back to a lockup being that i am driving a mid 10 sec car as a daily driver,and i drive the highway to work:D
Otto
I may even put the car in the 9's this year as a daily driver,This BB turbo is the cats ass, very little converter needed to spool it.

i can see where this is going.sorry to see so many people are irritated by the fact that it aint a one man show anymore .if YOU didnt have such an ego ,the post wouldnt have gone to page 5.we post great info and have been around for years.as a matter of fact we sell more transmissions in south jersey and philadelphia than anywhere else.so i guess your booksmart about stuff and dont spend much time at the track or the street.and thats fine .i make it a point to not allow negative people to interfere with my ability to assist others on the board who appreciate my help.if you threw me a rope for me to hang myself with in front of everyone on the board im sorry but iwont be using it .i will however give you any technical information you want if you need help with anything in the future.and yes your opinion does count,and will affect my thought process before replying to certain things on this great board .sincerely chris at www.ckperformance.com

Chris i will be looking to buy some of your 2004r billet parts soon,I build my own trannies and have a very reliable unit at this time,But i figure my days of input shaft and forward drums is coming. WIll you make a package deal on some parts ?
email me if so.Also can do soem testing for you if needed, i have a trandbrake 200r4 and will be putting it to 18-20# launch testing.
Thanks Otto

Hey Chris

Chris,

I just wanted to say that I appreciate your comments and friendly competition is good. But I have to agree with Lee about running a "locking" TC. You can continue pushing the unlocked TC if you want but I don't believe it's the best option for most.

Dave

You guys ....lol....

There is not ONE converter for every combo. What you should be doing is comparing what works with your "combo" vs your friends and fellow board members and their "combos". What you plan to do with your car is a HUGE factor also. That is how you gain more info and knowledge. I know people running Precision or AC or PTS 9X11 or ATI or whom ever, and are very happy.

EVERY car can be made faster by playing with converter combos, no doubt and I agree. What I try to cater to is "most" of the general use. Not to say in race trim a 9X11 won't do the job , but a lock up is what 90% of the people need and require. Is a non lock up faster than a lock up? Well in any individual application, it may be, it may not, but in some , and I would say 50% maybe they would be. So what does this tell you? It says that each situation will be different . If you have time and money anything can be made faster or "more" suited given down time and testing. Now, testing in the same CONTROLLED enviroment is critical too. These cars are as finicky as Morris the cat. As far as CK Perf running the fastest cars out there non lock, GREAT I think that is cool. You can have all the fast guys you like. But MOST are high high 10- 12 second cars. I try to cater to that the most as they are the majority of the applications. When I am back up and running , (which should be tues-wed next week) I will address this some more. I think you all missed the point. Share and compare. Make your choice with not only product, but consider service and what it is YOU would like to do with your ride and what is best suited for you. If you base your decision off "well Joe has one and it is great" you may be sorry. Like I said, Finicky.

Out of ALL the 9x11's I have sold, (well over 800) I would say very few are stalled higher than 4000, very few.
With that kind of stall , you are strictly racing the car, dont give a rats arse about street manners and just want to see how fast it will go. In that case I would run a non lock. After a mid 10 sec car, you are insane to be street driving it with any expectation of longevity cause it just aint gonna happen. 10.00 in a 35-3800 pound car is just plain haulin balls. The life of anything on the street, econimical and "well mannered" at that level, is just not there.
Not knocking either side but do not turn this guys question into a pissing contest. That is not what he asked and not what he is looking for. If you have one of the converters he is asking about and like it tell him. If you had one or have one and do not tell him why and how come. Facts and your experiances. Same with 9X11 , if you have one , explain your story and be straight. If you have had one and didnt like it , explain that too. I am a big boy, I can understand. In fact I want to know more from the people who DO NOT like it more than I do the ones who do cause that says that their particular combo I still have an issue with or I screwed up. You all know how much me screwing up bothers me.

There are ALWAYS issues with any fluid coupling, period!

and..... BTW a reg 9X11 wieghs about 32 lbs and our new "billet" ones are about 37lbs Dry

As for the guy who started this thread, Do your research. Listen to what you have and what you want to do with your car, and go from there.

Bruce
WE4

Hey Eric?

Are you mobile now that you are "unemployed"? If so, contact me through email or phone call.

Bruce
WE4

Thanks for the comments Bruce. It just reinforces my point which is most important. If you are in the market for a converter go here:
http://www.2004rperformancecenter.c...CatalogID=2&strCatalog_NAME=Xtreme+Converters

And fill out the spec sheet. They (PTS) will recommend a TC that's right for you. And they can custom build it to best suit your application. With the irregardless warranty and support, free restall and all, you just can't beat it. If you find a better deal than that let me know but I really don't think you will.

Dave<--just one of the many satisfied PTS customers.

I put the 9/11 in and went to the track and knocked .39 off my ET and went 3.03 mph faster.
I was running a red stripe before the 9/11 .
The car is about the same on the street as before.
Hope this helps.