Your Opinion (Converter Vigilante or 9 x 11)

Well I need some answers to. I just ordered a Precision Vigilante 9 1/2 inch non lock up 3200-3500 stall and I dont want to be disappointed. Everybody I know around were I live swear by Art Carr 9 inch but everybody wants so much for a new art carr. So i just went ahead and order the Precision. Somebody let me know what the think.

see signature below

I tell people all the time that the 9/11 was the single biggest improvement that I have made to my Buick to date.

You can't go wrong with the 9/11

Re: see signature below

Originally posted by boostedmaxPSI
I tell people all the time that the 9/11 was the single biggest improvement that I have made to my Buick to date.

You can't go wrong with the 9/11

Me Too!!!

That sums it up. Single biggest improvement to date. It really woke my car up. And my ET's reflect that. Not to mention: Irregardless warranty, free restall, custom built, etc. Believe me when I say those who don't own one are misinformed and are surely missing out on the best TC deal on the planet!!!

Thanks thats the answer i was lookin for. I was starting to think I should have ordered a 9-11. They are all proly good convertors.

I have been shopping for a decent lock up convertor for awhile now and was leaning towards the Vigilante Multi disc but have 5 things that really bother me about it
#1 Very harsh lock up under normal conditions
#2 Annoying rattle at idle
#3 Price
#4 All Vigilante's are off the shelf and not custom tailored to specific applications leading to a lot of guys questioning whether they got the "right pump number". :rolleyes:
#5 They weigh substantially more than most convertors.
I am sure a lot of the guys with them will argue most points, but for me some of this things are very critical. I dont mind spending money for a quality part, but some of the issues are things that really bother me. Besides the fact that I called Precison Industries yesterday and had a woman try to answer my questions. I wanted to discuss with someone my combo of parts so that i can get the correct convertor. The reply was "no one is available."

Lee,
I can't believe a man of your caliber would write such things about Precision...I'm floored...I don't know what to say...except...

You beat me to the Keyboard!!!

I have had the exact same problems with Precision..."No one is available at this moment"...or..."I'll give him the message, and he'll call you right back." And the same can be said for them returning e-mails...if I could make a middle finger out of the characters on this keyboard, I would.

But I can speak first hand about Bruce. He has returned all of my e-mails the same day, and even help S10xGN (Russ) with his tranny $#@#-up while on his cell phone...calling Texas from Cali.

Erik

Originally posted by Kid with a toy
Lee,
I can't believe a man of your caliber would write such things about Precision...I'm floored...I don't know what to say...except...

You beat me to the Keyboard!!!

I have had the exact same problems with Precision..."No one is available at this moment"...or..."I'll give him the message, and he'll call you right back." And the same can be said for them returning e-mails...if I could make a middle finger out of the characters on this keyboard, I would.

But I can speak first hand about Bruce. He has returned all of my e-mails the same day, and even help S10xGN (Russ) with his tranny $#@#-up while on his cell phone...calling Texas from Cali.

Erik

LMAO!! That's cool Erik. Bruce has also bent over backwards for me. I've got it made since the guy is just down the street from me. :D

It must be nice to live up the street from a legend...a guru...a mentor...hell, the man is just plain nice.

Erik

it nice to see competition in the marketplace.without it we would all be stuck with the same product as the next guy,aqnd all running the same et etc.at ckperformance we are loyal to our convertor suppliers because of the end result and quality of the product not just because they are around the block,or because someone else is using them.although we dont buy many prescision units we do have several customers running our 2004rs with prescision units w/out problems running stage 2 motors w/n20.they are a bit noisy for us ,and we run harder unlocked than locked w/hi horsepower motors.

I have a Precision Vigilante and like it alot. I do have a rattle at idle that I haven't been able to figure out. Is it normal for the Precision converter to do this? They are expensive though and I probably would have gone with a converter from PTS had I known about them when I bought it.

Mike

We have two legends below the Mason-Dixon Line...

Big Bad Bruce from California and Mike Kurtz from Texas.

And if the rumors are true, we understand that they are half-step-brothers that were conjoined twins, separated soon after birth.

Erik

bigz,
It comes down to this-

F'up policy, known as a warranty
Re-stall
Availability of the damn owner and associates who love to talk your ear off :D
Price

Erik

Thats what my problem was also I forgot about the PTS convertor and all I could remember was Art Carr and Precision. And by the time I found out about the PTS I had already ordered a precision. Just wondering about PTS. Do they make a 9 inch or 9.5 inch convertor. That is nonlock up. 3200-3500 stall. And about wut is the price. I just wanted to compare the 2 prices. thanks

i told you to look into protorque,we havent seen anything negative about their products on the board and a nonlocker 9.5 is about 625 bucks

Originally posted by chris718
i told you to look into protorque,we havent seen anything negative about their products on the board and a nonlocker 9.5 is about 625 bucks
Chris, I called Protorque! They wont make anything more than a 3200 stall in a lock up. They will make anything you want in a non lock. But non locks suck unless you have an all out race car. For the average 10 and 11 second car, a lock up is the way to go IMHO. I will most likely be calling Bruce and ordering a 9x11

Originally posted by GNVAIR
But non locks suck unless you have an all out race car. For the average 10 and 11 second car, a lock up is the way to go IMHO. I will most likely be calling Bruce and ordering a 9x11

I agree.

Justin Terry,

Just go to the PTS link in this thread and fill out a spec sheet. They will call you back and recommend the best option to suit your needs. And if you decide to purchase they will custom build one just for you. What could be better?

Ooops! I belive I already recommended this.

DOES ANY ONE KNOWS THE WEIGHT,OF THIS TWO CONVERTERS VIGILIANTE VS 9X11 ???

MY NL ART CARR WEIGHT 2O POUNDS.
ORANGE STRIP 40 POUNDS.

I WILL BE GOING BACK TO LOCKUP AND AFTER MY GOAL 17O MPH.

To get aholta Bruce or Mike (I'm from Texas)...it's takes just a single phone call.

To get aholta Precision...it feels like more of an act of Congress.

Just my two copper coins.

Oh yeah...ILBCNU6...those Pro Stock guys run multi-disc clutches, but, they also replace them after every single or every other pass. Something I don't look forward to doing for two reasons...I'm too poor and too stupid.

Erik

Originally posted by ILBCNU6
I run a 7 disc vigilante and it doesn't lock up hard! I've not noticed any rattling from the discs.(A question: why do pro-stock cars run multi disc clutches? More friction area and therefore less slippage.) My engine is noisey anyway because of a fast ramp cam, along with aluminum pistons so who cares if the disc rattles. By all means a lock-up is the only way to run a street strip car and the tranny needs to be built right to work with a l/u and last. My car runs so sweet with the l/u feature and cruises just like a stock car. Most people that don't like the Vig. quote the disc noise, locking up and not un-locking, heating up the tranny oil because of the restrictor in the convertor drain oil etc. My tranny oil runs 175* in 95* temp. and running hard. (My cooler system for sure helps control that and tranny mods.) Many 9 sec. S2 cars run this convertor! Why? Yes, the cost is more but a warranty, one free stall change during the war. period. Just another opinion, your choice. Gene
Its great that the PI Vigilante worked out good for you. But as an FYI, they dont even make a 7 disc anymore. The new ones are either singles or 5 disc and from others I have spoken with, the 5 discs lock up harder and do make noise.