Your suggestions for a deck please

I need to upgrade the factory Delco AM/ Cassete in my Limited to something a little better that plays CD's. Will probably never run amps/subs. Was thinking of a factory GM deck powering some 6x9"s in the rear and some upgraded speakers up front. Real basic stuff really. Any suggestions on a factory looking deck from a newer GM car or should I just go aftermarket with mounting kit? I'm kina torn on this one as I know aftermarket is probably better but I wan't it to look like it belongs in Buick not in a spaceship. Thanks in advance.:cool:

I would highly reccomend a DIN style radio and a this American International kit http://store4.yimg.com/I/spectravox_1756_119198543 because the radio is flush with the kit. But you will have to use the existing stock radio brackets.

The decks of my choice are...

#1 Pioneer or the premier models
#2 Kenwood
#3 Alpine

Why the number choice for me is Pioneer is its value, features, powerful built in amp, strong tunner and excellet CD sound quality.

Hey, I'm new to the site, but been around a long time in the audio world. My opinion is if you do not plan on ever running an amp you'll need something that'll put out clean power. I personally use the Alpine 7811 in both of my wife and I's car. It puts out a stout 4 volts, and the sound is very clean. I've got 6x9's (memphis reference) in my rear also, and I don't think I'll need a subwoofer or amp. That's my 2 cents. It cost almost $400 for the deck, mounting kit, and harness. For the same price you could get a Pioneer or Kenwood, but I'm not closr enough to either brand to know what model number would be compairable.

I second the Pioneer vote. Very good value. Kenwwod stuff is always solid. Another good brand is Clarion. Wish I could endorse Sony but most of their products after the late 90's are pretty bad. IMO Alpine is over priced, over hyped, mediocre equipment.

You could also never go wrong with Kenwood also, only installed a few Clarion's so I don't have much to say. I allways been an Alpine guy but yes GNand TTA says is true its way over priced now. And especially in Hawaii we get our Alpine through a distributor down here so there is a 25% mark-up on the cost of the products.

Nosjunke,

The Alpine 7811 is an older model and still a very good deck but for that price most guys would not buy that with a $400 price tag. And most of the new decks are equiped with high voltage out-put.

I got a Pioneer 1 1/2 DIN model. Works good, plays CD etc. Not too expensive. Not a real audiophile but with quality speakers I think it sounds really good. Never liked the single DIN size. IMO looks kinda cheezy with the plasticky adapter to fill in the rest of the hole.

Oh, if you like the 1 1/2 DIN size, Crutchfield has the Pioneer plus a Jenson (plays both CD and casette). I got mine at BestBuy. They are a little hard to find.

i have was the manager of a car audio store for a long time i swear by pioneer the jenson 1 1/2 din unit is garbage buttons always break and displays stop working i have a pioneer 1 1/2 din unit in my car DEH-77dh i love it theres a lower model its like 20.00 less theres just less features for amps and no built in alarm. even as the manager of a stereo shop i still buy my products from public places cause their cheaper than my distributors

try
www.caraudioexpert.com
www.ikesound.com

I like my Pioneer DEH-P77DH from www.thezeb.com It sounds tons better than the stock unit with some good speakers. Best part is I have money left over for othe parts.

If I had, a numbers matching '63 split window corvette, I wouldn't take out the factory radio. Todays head units are so cheap and add so much quality and flexibility that it's hard to not replace it. Back in the 80s when tape decks were all the rage, CD player head units were over $300, now you can get a good one for $200.

I have a pioneer 7300. It was like a day and night difference from the stock unit. It has alot of features to fine tune your sound. Actually two other friends also have pioneers and their systems sound good.

I just found out the other day after owning the deck for almost 2 years, that if you adjust the sla feature for the cd sounds become louder without losing its crispness. It was almost like suddenly the headunit was amp powered.

Thanks for the replies guys. Got a Pioneer DEH-P5500MP and some new Polk speakers(6x9 and some 3.5"). Nothing too fancy but I am sure it will be a night and day improvement over the stocker. It just took a little pushing to get me to get a non factory appearing set up. That's what I like about you guys-always helping me justify spending some coin on the Buick:cool:

Originally posted by Grant National
At the risk of sounding like a newbie...what are bass blocker caps? ...How much do they cost?:confused:

Its a capacitor that block lower bass frequency. Cost around $1/ea at a Radio shack or electronic part supply. Some say use only non-polarize but the polarized will do just fine. Its attached inline on the positive speaker terminal.