Your suggestions for a deck please

DO NOT BUY SONY CAR AUDIO! I had a head unit in my car and it never worked right. Screen wouldnt turn on, volume wouldnt work. Then some dumbass broke into my car stole it (thank god), some other stuff, and then ripped my frickin dash out. Two months later I am still puttin it back together. Jumped off the soap box now. I just bought a Alpine CVA 1005. It has the flip up screen. Totally awsome. This is the third one that has been purchased in my family. Also have Alpine CVA 1006 and had a CVA 1000 (stolen). The only bad thing is that it dosnt come with a CD player, you have to buy a changer. But they are reliable and awsome. I will post a picture when installation is complete. New they range from 1,000 to 3,000 US, but on ebay you can get them for less than half of the origional price. I personally think alpine is the best, but to back it up. My moms 1992 Jaguar VP(sold), 2000 Jaguar XJR(sold), and her new 2001 Jaguar XKR have all had one. None have had any problems. And remember DONT BUY SONY!

Nick

I forgot to add. I replaced all of my speakers with Alpine. A world of difference. I highly reccomend replaceing all of your speakers with a non-paper cone. The sound is much clearer. You will get some better sound if you hook up a small to decent size amp to the 6X9's. Now my car has concert sound.

Nick

And remember DONT BUY SONY!
Sadly I agree. But Sony will get it together. They still are the inovators of car audio electronics. 1st company to build a cd changer, 1st anti skip buffer, 1st minidic changer, 1st with protocol linked components, 1st HU with built in hard drive, etc. Given a price range, I'll take my Sony ES HU over any Alpine.

My TV's, computer, and home audio are Sony. I love the quality of their home products and Walkman products. But all the car audio needs MUCH improvement. Untill then dont buy their car audio.

Nick

But all the car audio needs MUCH improvement. Untill then dont buy their car audio.
So how many Sony radios have you bought? Sounds like just one. I know some of the recent lower end models is where the quality has suffered. But thier top end stuff is still among the best. Especially the DVD changer and mobile monitors. We will see how long it takes before the other manufactures copy that design.

Don't bash a whole line from one bad experience. It took a few bad expereinces from me and a few of my friends before I wrote Alpine off.

My sony deck, cd changer. My moms speakers. My buddies deck, cd changer, amp, subs. My other buddies amp and subs. Every car audio guy I have talked to. I think that makes for some ligitiment reasons not to buy Sony car audio.

Nick

I havnt heard anything good out of sony car audio. From personal experience, Friends experience, and from what many car audio stores have told me. If you want to buy a Sony Xplode (key word) go right ahead. But if you do I suggest that you buy the best warrantee for that product because you will need to take it out of your car and send it in to sony to be fixed alot. I have done that before and it is a royal pain in the ass. If you dont trust me, go to your local car audio store and ask their opinon. If the $400 sony is as good as a $400 alpine, pioneer, or kenwood. Then you will find out that I am not BS'ing.

Nick

I'll 2nd the bass blockers idea! Those have saved my Alpine 3.5"s and I am a firm believer in not spending money on the same part twice!

I also agree on the sony.. I had a tape deck and a friend of mine had a cd deck.. BOTH had very odd problems within several months of use. I've had trouble with other sony audio products ( portable cd player) as well.. I swear I'll never buy another sony product as long as I can.

I had a Sony head unit once. ONCE.
It had the worst reception I have ever heard.

I currently have a Pioneer deck in my Buick, and a Clarion (lots of neat features) waiting to go into my Tahoe.

Ross