Your three top irritating pet peeves about your Turbo Regal

All of the above!

Plus- worrying about the power antenna and if/when it will crap out
Crappy radio
Squirrely handling

1-Finding replacement parts that one would think should be avaiable like tail light lenses.
2-Fuel gage is terrible.
3-My biggest gripe: Being the QC department for NEW parts which often don't fit or work out of the box!

Last edited:
1. Shitty fuel sending units (electrical in general) and shitty gas tank filler makes putting (the correct amount of) gas in the tank A. a challenge and B. a mess.
2. Wind noise and rattles in a T-Top car even with new weather striping, all new body bushings and all available bracing.
3. The lack of press or explanation to the public about the T's when they were built and the lack of documentation on TR's in general. Always get asked what is a T-Type more than I get the nice monte comments.

1) oil leaks
2) quality of some aftermarket parts, oem being very expensive
3) fear of being stolen, limits on where to drive it.
4) crappy factory paint

But, I LOVE MY GN!!!!!

1. The instrument cluster layout and gauges suck.
2. Water gets inside door window when washing.
3. Only room for 4x10 rear speakers without using adapter.

Last edited:
2. Water gets inside door window when washing.

Not sure if this is the case for you, but I struggled with this for a long time, but after learning to keep the weatherstripping lubricated with a thin layer of silicone grease I am finally water tight. It didn't help the wind noise much lol.
I

This thread has put my mind at ease a little. To see how there are so many others that struggle with wind noise makes me not feel so bad about my car. I've gotten mine pretty tolerable and was content until I rode in my buddy's 11k mile hard top GN that was as quiet as any modern car. I wish it was like that for me. It comes down to the weatherstripping though. I learned by looking at his seals that even the NOS stuff is not the same as what came on the cars from the factory.

When you guys talk about wind noise is the wind actually getting inside the car because the windows don't seal tight or is the noise just due to the brick like shape of our cars?

1- no alky
2- not enough boost
3- my interior needs refinishing and my New rear tires are already showing signs of excessive wear...
Sorry thats actually four...Mike

1. Slow windows!! I had eliminated all wind noise until I had new hinges installed on drivers door, now I need to spend 2+ hours on adjusting the window again

2. Fuel Gauge inaccurate despite cleaning all contacts and a new sending unit

3. Oil leaks, if it doesn't leak, there isn't any in it

And above all those, Monte comments

Kirban update

Concerning wind noise....one quick story and one clever solution that the original Pete better known as the window rattle guy (my GTO buddy) used to do when he worked on Turbo windows at the Nationals years ago.

My buddy Pete actually worked at a Buick dealership when these cars were new and handled all the crappy warranty complaints that regular mechanics did not want to mess with.

Here is the trick:

When you go to install new weatherstrips on those critical front areas where the wind is coming towards you meaning down the front pillar area....

first off its tedious project getting all the old gluey stuff out of the channel area...before doing the project go to an auto store buy several feet of the various diamater vacuum hose so you have an assortment of different diameters.

also have a dollar bill handy....

as you install the new weather striping keep shutting the door to see how snug it is against the window edge that is where the dollar bill comes in see if it grabed its tight with the door shut...the areas that it does not grab the dollar bill tight is the areas you want to insert a small amount of vacuum hose BEHIND your new weather strip just in that area of concern.

Since you are putting it behind your new weather stripping it is not seen....

Again this is assuming your windows are tight to start with...we sell a window kit think its part number 7170 or 7071....the key to this kit is the plastic window guide this part sits at the back of your door and where the glass is you will see a metal pin that seats in this plastic guide if you look down into your door where the window is...that guide being its plastic wears gradually over a period of time. also the felt on the 3 or 4 metal guides wears thin replacing those items will tighten up your glass in the door.

In other words, you need to make sure your window is tight in the door in order for the trick I explained above to work. Pete Hoffman does windows also you can contact him as well.

Monte Carlos have the same issues as we sell a lot of the window kits to one of those companies as well. Those cars just lack the low end torque so the issues are not nearly as bad....

My idea presented here may not eliminate the issue 100% but it will be darn close.

As for T-Top owners there are adjustment son the actual tops any of the various bracing we and other vendors sell will go a long way to tightening up the car to make it close to new again.

Quick story:

When my wife and I picked up in 1992 picked up our GMC Syclone at GMC headquarters it was one of 2 they used for all the magazine testing we drove it home from Michigan.(it had 9,000 miles on it)...when we got home our eyes where dried out to the point of being irrated badly. The Syclone unlike the Turbo Regal was like vacuum tight...so tight few months later my wife snapped off the inside door handle shutting the door.

Sounds weird but its true....

The Syclone we had the license plate read ZR1 KLR The Syclone was another GM entry that caused Corvette owners
some grief.

end of story

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My Metro weatherstrip is actually too thick at one point, preventing the window from closing completely with the door shut. This is on the vertical side, along the quarter glass area. A piece of vacuum hose would be counter productive in my case. After adjustment, my window seals tight when I put it up with the door open. Passes the dollar bill test along the entire window. So what I did was park the car in my garage near the wall and wedged a shower rod between the wall and the car window. This helped form the channel in the weatherstrip so the window would go up properly. So far it improved the seal quite a bit. I think the wind noise that my car suffers from is from the wind buffeting against the windshield, not the wind actually entering the car. On my driver side I have a small gap between the window and the weather strip at the very front. Will adjust the window when I put on the new weatherstrip in a day or two. Didn't mean for this to morph into a weatherstrip installation thread.

Appreciate your comments don't worry about the thread getting misaligned....as for windshield issues originally you have a rubber like very thin strip that seats around the molding around the windshield. We also carry that item as well.

Some of the various reproduction seals are harder than others

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I agree with all the above but mine doesn't leak because I never get it wet! I don't want the disappointment..

But The wind noise, paranoia about thieves or getting dings in a car that has NONE, waiting for the replaced power antenna and powermaster crapping out, crummy stereo, funky fuel gauge, crappy or lack of good factory gauges, *slow* power windows etc etc

but I have a few of my own to add

"Boy Racers" in either their daddy's GT Mustangs or in their own imports with coffee-can exhausts wanting to bust 'em off at every stoplight.

Daddys in their OWN GT mustangs or Beemers doing the same danged thing

Not feeling confident enough to work on it like I did with my Chevelle...

So, why in h&ll do we own and drive these?
Probably because they are cool as h&ll and sometimes people take our picture when we are out driving them. Happened to me. Kinda creepy, at first, but it did put the proverbial sh*t-eatin' -grin on my face! Gotta love our TB's......even with all their faults.

While I do agree with most , if not all said , I'll add my 83k mile 87 T-top GN does rattle , does leak water , and has the rear main leak (again after done at 49k ) , and trans leaks now to . But my TTA with 15k miles (rear main was done) , had virtually no leaks , not a pink spot anywhere on the trans , and maybe would have 1 drip off the rear main after a drive and then parked . Couldn't be happier .
Now my X with 14k orig miles , I find it to be a very tight , no rattles , no wind noise car .NTM , again , another one that really has no leaks , even after a good drive , not a drop hits the floor from the rear main , and trans . Extremely happy it is like this .
Now my pet peeves :
1) As one said about crappy paint , I'll elaborate , it's not the orange peel for me , it's the metallic debris you can see in the black cars !!!!! Some more than others .On a sunny day , it looks like you have dust on the car , you California duster it off , but it isn't dust , and stays there !!!! LOL .
2)Concert sound , it's anything but like you're in concert , the stereo sucks , the TTA's stereo was way better !!!!!
3)Wish they put astroroofs in the GNX's , would have been sweet . Can't believe they thought it would hurt structural integrity , as look at all the astroroof/T-top cars out there for years now pulling hard 60' times with slicks and they're just fine .

Most gripes have been covered BUT there is one that gets me that hasn't been covered.

*** People that feel the NEED to rev the shiznit out of their loud exhausts when they see you working on the car. They even do this if they just see your car parked in your driveway.....at night....late at night. They won't stop doing it if they see you are actually working on the car which is a major distraction to the job you are doing. HERE IS THE MAJOR GRIPE --- These same MFrs will either turn off the highway, park and hide, or make excuses when you pull up on them and call them out. I have found that those you back down with a call out do stop revving when they see you BUT they will still rev if they just see your car parked....at night.....late at night.:mad:

Most gripes have been covered BUT there is one that gets me that hasn't been covered.

*** People that feel the NEED to rev the shiznit out of their loud exhausts when they see you working on the car. They even do this if they just see your car parked in your driveway.....at night....late at night. They won't stop doing it if they see you are actually working on the car which is a major distraction to the job you are doing. HERE IS THE MAJOR GRIPE --- These same MFrs will either turn off the highway, park and hide, or make excuses when you pull up on them and call them out. I have found that those you back down with a call out do stop revving when they see you BUT they will still rev if they just see your car parked....at night.....late at night.:mad:
Ever think about moving?