Z06 maf?

Pittsburghkid

Displacement Replacement.
I know you can get the LT1 and LS1 MAF to work on the TR's with a Translator, but my Question is will the Z06 MAF, with the 5 pin connector that comes out of the MAF sensor at a 45degree angle, work on our TR's with the same Translator and if so is there any benefit to use this MAF instead of let's say a 3.5" LS1 MAF sensor? I know they also make the 5pin to 3 pin adapter wire, some of which have the pigtail for the Idle Air Temp Sensor which is something i would like to take advantage of being that my IAT Sensor just kinda hangs out around my air filter and not actually in it like it should. Anyone actually use this MAF with the 5 pin to 3 pin wire and IAT sensor pigtail with your common 6.21v Translator, or do you have to have the gen 2, or translator pro to use this type of MAF or is this MAF just not capable with the TR?

I run a screenless z06 maf in my car with the casper's plug to use the integrated IAT sensor and the standard translator. It's 3.75" OD I believe, and required a little creativity in coupler sizing to get it to fit on my car with a 4" K&N and 4" RJC maf pipe. The z06 maf's are 85 mm and are screenless from '02 onwards. I went from a stock intake setup to the one mentioned above and gained a huge amount of boost and much quicker spool up.

Huge amount of boost and quicker spooling was all i needed to hear. I just picked up a 3.5" ls1 for $35 which i planned on getting some ported and screenless ends for. But hearing that i can use the 5 pin to 3 pin wire from caspers with the IAT sensor wire with a standard translator is what i was looking for cause i hate looking at my IAT sensor just sitting next to my air filter.

Other than the integrated IAT are there any other benefits over using the Z06 MAF over a 3.5" LS1 or LT1 MAF?

Other than the integrated IAT are there any other benefits over using the Z06 MAF over a 3.5" LS1 or LT1 MAF?
the z06 maf is larger I believe and if it's from '02 onwards it's screenless. I went from a steady 23psi or so with the stock intake, to not being able to control the boost at all after I made the switch until I basically max ported the exhaust housing. That was all the proof I needed to know that the stock intake was a restriction even with my basic setup. I know the stock maf has been 10's before, those guys can have my maf and I'll stick with this one ;) Plus, you can hear the turbo scream a mile away now :eek:

They did the math on the 3.5" LS1 MAF years ago.

It flows a lot of air. :eek:

Enough for tons of HP, not exactly sure how many tons however. :p

If you dig up the data you'll probably realize you may not need the Z06 one. ;)

I guess it's use would depend on goals, budget, parts in hand, etc. :)

I went with one from the LS1 merely to be less of a restriction since I was running a 4" pipe to my 6262 turbo. Along with my 4" cold air intake it seemed like the logical choice, the integrated IAC was a bonus. Wish it was a true 4" diameter though. It is lighter than the LS1 as well.

Thanks guys these are exactly the answers i was looking for and i'm assuming that since they make the adapter for the LS guys to swap out their LS or LT MAF for the Z06 then the Z06 must be the best one available at the moment also benefiting from the built in IAT sensor so it looks like i may be selling the 3.5" LS1 i just bought and go straight for the Z06. :)

the z06 maf is larger I believe and if it's from '02 onwards it's screenless. I went from a steady 23psi or so with the stock intake, to not being able to control the boost at all after I made the switch until I basically max ported the exhaust housing. That was all the proof I needed to know that the stock intake was a restriction even with my basic setup. I know the stock maf has been 10's before, those guys can have my maf and I'll stick with this one ;) Plus, you can hear the turbo scream a mile away now :eek:

As i am looking for these MAF's i'm finding the ones with the screen are cheaper then the ones with out. I know the screen impedes air flow but are there any other performance differences between the MAF from the 01's and prior as compared to the 02 and forward or it just simply because of this screen that i could just as easily remove?

As i am looking for these MAF's i'm finding the ones with the screen are cheaper then the ones with out. I know the screen impedes air flow but are there any other performance differences between the MAF from the 01's and prior as compared to the 02 and forward or it just simply because of this screen that i could just as easily remove?
It's probably a very minimal difference, but if it's screened I'd probably leave it. I would assume removing it would negatively affect the calibration unless that was tuned for someway. It's less trouble to just get a screenless one I imagine. I'm sure the difference is very very small, but it IS one of the things they changed from 01-02 that accounted for some of the 20hp gain the z06's got. Just food for thought.

removing the screen from a MAF that came with one will generally cause the car to lean out about 10%. You can compensate in the translator. The best overall sensor IMO is the 3.5" LS1, especialy the new version
Mike

Well i just got my used 3.5" LS1 which has a screen and and is tagged from a 95 camaro so i'm assuming its the older version. I was thinking of getting ported screenless ends for it. Should i do this how do i adjust for running lean through the translator? Or is it the Translator Gen2 that i would need to do that?

That is an LT1 sensor which runs quite a bit different than the LS1 which is from 98-02. A regular translator is going to have some trouble but a gen 2 will be fine, it is going to need some tuning
MIke

I've had very good results with the 85mm sensor and a translator+. The 85mm has very good running characteristics. Smooth idle, great drivability, and plenty of hugeness.

Does anyone know if only some 5 pin maf's have the IAT sensor or is it all 5 pin maf's that have the IAT sensor because i asked someone selling one if it had the IAT and they said no but i don't think they knew what they were talking about.

Does the Z06 need a 4' MAF Pipe?
Someone post a picture of a Z06 setup. :cool:

Thank You

It doesn't need a 4" maf pipe just the correct couplers to adjust for the size difference between the pipe and sensor, however obviously the bigger the MAF pipe the more air you'll suck thus making more power which is why getting a bigger bore sensor like the z06 would allow the car to breath better than a stock sensor. I don't have the setup yet so i can't post pics but hopefully someone else will for you.