ZDDP plus and VR-1

I figured at this point I would chime in since our company thru our distributors is the largest seller of ZDDPlus.

I was actually with Richard the other nite in North Carolina. A few points are perfectly clear to those that know Richard Clark personally. His love and passion for the Turbo Regals has no bounds. The man don;t sell a single part unless you replace it in his massive inventory.

I have known him personally longer than most that read follow this forum going back to 1991 and have sold him many many parts during the years. Every GS Nats he has worked on many turbo cars mostly brake issues....at no charge. To him it is must be like a hobby.....the man is the real deal.

First, of all the name zddplus is trademarked.

Every container of zddplus is tested prior to getting put in the 4 ounce bottles so you can bet the house it is exactly as claimed.

By now most readers surely are aware of zddp levels being reduced in API MOTOR OIL. Again I am referring to the star burst symbol. Its like a date code basically. The reduction has been gradual since its the original levels maximum was under the SF category which so happens to be around the time span of our cars the turbo regals with flat tappet cams. Also probably the only real performance car during that time span with flat tappet cams.

Its only because of this connection Richard even bothered to invest time money into producing ZDDPlus making darn sure with over a dozen tech briefs and testing that everything was 100% correct from day one. Granted back 3-4 years ago most of the public meaning us car owners, had no idea of the problems me included.

It was the engine builders that first started to have the problems. Without rehashing all this you can see now may companies have hopped on the band wagon with "special oil" or additives even Edlebrock has jumped on board. (I tried to get that account over a year ago).

The problem is real, the answer as you can see in the various posts vary. We believe we have the best and the simplest where you can buy any SM oil conventional or synthetic and simply add one 4 ounce bottle not 12 ounces or 16 ounces and have no cam wear worries. May be the best $10 you spend.

As a Turbo Buick owner you are in a unique situation, number one you heard about it first over 3 years ago, and number two the owner of the company puts the money back into Buick events and sponsors etc. Turbobuicknats is one prime example.

It is not snake oil. Its exactly what was in the oil back when your car was new. Crower cams buys the ZDDP paste, Erson cams is under a private label for it, Moss Motors is under a private label. Its even available from Eastwood, Year One, National Parts Depot, Ecklers, Mac Antiques, C&G Early Ford and several major engine warehouses that only sell to engine rebuilders. You don't obtain companies of this statue with a snake oil product.

Don Garlits uses it and endorses it.

I have conducted seminars on ZDDPlus at various events from Studebakers to Pontiacs to Corvettes. (I can tell you the Corvette crowd is a tough crowd).

Many options exist to obtain the PPM your engine needs....heck over 5 million older cars are registered in the USA. The choice is yours. We feel zddplus is the simplest. Especially if you want to continue to use an oil you have always used.

So, if indeed as someone stated earlier in this thread the zddp that was referred to in the broadcast was not aimed at zddplus it would be nice if such a clarification was made here and in the next broadcast. We would even welcome him as a distributor!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I figured at this point I would chime in since our company thru our distributors is the largest seller of ZDDPlus.

I was actually with Richard the other nite in North Carolina. A few points are perfectly clear to those that know Richard Clark personally. His love and passion for the Turbo Regals has no bounds. The man don;t sell a single part unless you replace it in his massive inventory.

I have known him personally longer than most that read follow this forum going back to 1991 and have sold him many many parts during the years. Every GS Nats he has worked on many turbo cars mostly brake issues....at no charge. To him it is must be like a hobby.....the man is the real deal.

I can atest to this aswell. Richard is a super great guy! Anyone that has any doubts on Richards love and passion for Turbo Regals. You guys don't need to miss the next Turbobuick.com nats event and get a opportunity to meet Richard and see his awesome collection of Turbo Regal Parts and cars.

Hope you had a nice drive back home the other nite dennis.

ZDDPlus vs. Lucas Engine break-in additive

Not to get off the subject of zddplus, but I have a question:

Has anyone used the Lucas Oil engine break-in additive, TB zinc-plus?

I'm reading this thread at work, and it got my attention. I walked over and grabbed a bottle of Lucas (16 oz bottle) and began to read. For engine break-in, it says to use the entire bottle. Notes on the label include:

-Designed specifically for racing applications

-Protects flat tappet camshafts and valvetrain during break-in period of motor

-Exclusive blend of extreme pressure additives to enhance protection in any motor oil, conventional or synthetic

The directions state:

-Add one full bottle to engine along with regular oil capacity of engine. after approx. 1000 miles drain engine and refill your engine with proper amount of oil. FOR MAXIMUM PROTECTION USE AFTER EVERY REBUILD. NOT recommended for use in passenger cars requiring API SG, SJ, SL, SM, and post-1994 vehicles-may cause damage to catalytic converters.

I have used Zddplus in the past, not only in my GN, but also in my 442. That was the first car I used it in because that's when I first learned about the zinc content in the oils. My question is for anyone that's used a Lucas product, is this an alternative to ZDDP? Does it have the same amount of Z and PH at a 4oz level? Also with oils, is Valvoline VR-1 the standard performance motor oil? Any feedback with using the Mobil Clean 5000 Performance motor oils? What about synthetic oils, are there any out there with acceptable levels of Z and PH?

The reason I ask is because the Lucas is readily available to me, where as I have to go thru other channels to get ZDDP now. WIth a freshly-rebuilt engine, I do not want to take any chances. If ZDDP is the best, I will continue to purchase that product. If the Lucas is a tested and acceptable alternative, this is readily available to me and I will use it.

Not trying to stir the pot, or take away from the conversation. But I thought I would ask.

Not knocking Lucas...but you really need to ask Lucas what is in 16 ounces is it really something you want to do each time pour 16 ounces in with your oil change versus 4 ounces of zddplus which we KNOW has the proper levels of zddp....making the correct combo....

Many mail order companies sell zddplus....some have special deals the more you buy....

16 ounces in a normal 4-6 quart oil change is alot.....

I would think the $10 investment via mail order would be worth it....

Eventually it will be in stores but that is a tough market to get without a major distributor picking up the product....

We do sell to some stores.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I take it ZDDP Maxx is the same as ZDDP plus?

No it is not our product.....you would need to check with that company to find out their content of zddp.

On the private label accounts it will say on the back made by zddplus.

In the cases where it is a different label. On other private labels some companies have choosen to keep the same trademark name and simply have their logo and address on the back.

Point is, only zddplus is the one that is throwing their support back into the Turbo Buick community as Richard has stated above. Logic would tell you that being the case it makes sense to support a product that the monies go back into funding events related to the Turbo Buicks and one that clearly you know the contents of the 4 ounces.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

No it is not our product.....you would need to check with that company to find out their content of zddp.

On the private label accounts it will say on the back made by zddplus.

In the cases where it is a different label. On other private labels some companies have choosen to keep the same trademark name and simply have their logo and address on the back.

Point is, only zddplus is the one that is throwing their support back into the Turbo Buick community as Richard has stated above. Logic would tell you that being the case it makes sense to support a product that the monies go back into funding events related to the Turbo Buicks and one that clearly you know the contents of the 4 ounces.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

You've sold me, Mr. Kirban.

I appreciate your insight to this whole conversation, and answering my questions to the best of your ability. I have emails into Lucas Oil Products which I'm sure will be returned tomorrow. But, your dedication and support on this subject will have me buying ZDDP.

Thank You!!