2-step for stock ignition systems

TurboBob

Resident mad scientist
Staff member
I have been developing a 2-step rev limiter with retard for a while now and its almost done. I let a few people know and they are all asking for details.

So here are a few.

A 2-step is an ignition cutting rev-limiter and on turbo cars like ours has several uses.

1: when running alky injection, if you hit the factory rev limiter in the ECM, the ECM cuts off the injectors, but your alky is still spraying. Now you are at high RPM, high boost, and deadly lean. This breaks engines in a big way. So by setting an ignition cutting limiter below the ECM rev limit you will save your engine if you over-rev.

2: for foot-brake launching, you can reduce the torque the engine makes, and raise the EGT by using an ignition retard when brake torquing. Using a partial rev limit helps spooling on the brakes and also works for rolling brake torquing.

3: for trans-brake launching, generally guys don't use retard, just a full-cut style rev limiter and adjust the limiter setting and their boost controller to set their staging boost level.

There are lots of ways to configure and adjust a system like this, I have just listed a few.

So, on with the show.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaWYxsKq0E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQESvfZqSNI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqbUfcRpqcU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SGQ5sMtskM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4tJLulBQMk[/YOUTUBE]

a picture of the config switches

The unit shown is my prototype, they should be ready for 'you guys' in the early spring. Stay tuned.

Bob

Cool, thanks Bob for always inventing Buick specific parts. Put me on the list!!! :D

You the man Bob!!!!

My car should be back home sometime next month. So I can "test" one out for you :biggrin:

Scott

hmm i cant get the vids to play...

I can't just click on them either, going to try to fix that.

In the mean time, right click and choose "save as" and save them to your desktop. then double click them there.

Note, the files are huuuuge, so they take a while to download.

Perhaps I will put them on you-tube.

Bob

Sign me up!! Will it be able to use a 12 volt signal such as a transbrake to be activated??

anything that runs with the stock ignition system will work with this.

FAST (classic, xfi, whatever)
BS3 (yup)
DFI (6, 7, whatever)
Stock ECM (of course)

Bob

Sign me up!! Will it be able to use a 12 volt signal such as a transbrake to be activated??

there are 2 12volt activation inputs along with a TPS input.

One activation input turns on the retard, the other enables the 2-step function.

Bob

anything that runs with the stock ignition system will work with this.

FAST (classic, xfi, whatever)
BS3 (yup)
DFI (6, 7, whatever)
Stock ECM (of course)

Bob
NO IS NOT (WHATEVER.IS WHATEEVAAA):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i edited the top post some to add some other ways to view the vids. Then the time limit to edit the post ran out. So I will work with Shane and Jay to tune up the post. In the mean time I will stuff the rest of the files into Youtube...

Bob

I don't know if it's true but I heard MSD has stopped making the Buick Interface Module for use with their DIS-4 two step. So Your System Might Be Just In Time For us Turbo Buick folks. :)

Looks like a very nice product?when will it be available bob?and aprox. how much will it be?

Many Thanks,Nick

Bob, seems the best way without the large switch would be 12 v reference from the brakelight switch correct?? Is it going to be an issue with current or amperage the reason you show such a large switch having to be used on one side of the brake pedal??

Bob, I watched the "you tube" video you posted at the beginning of this thread and I'm wondering...Is your device installed inside the Translator box?...'cause I don't see any other "box" other than the Translator a Scanmaster...:confused:

Thanks,

Claude. :smile:

Bob, seems the best way without the large switch would be 12 v reference from the brakelight switch correct?? Is it going to be an issue with current or amperage the reason you show such a large switch having to be used on one side of the brake pedal??

you can use the brakelight switch. but in my testing, the brakelight switch is not fast enough. The pedal just reacts too slow, so the car rolls and then WHAM.

I use that switch because it will never break even though you are stepping on it, the current required by the activation inputs is quite low.

That switch is on the expensive side, but has light 'snap-action', and quite a bit of excess travel.

Bob

Bob, I watched the "you tube" video you posted at the beginning of this thread and I'm wondering...Is your device installed inside the Translator box?...'cause I don't see any other "box" other than the Translator a Scanmaster...:confused:

Thanks,

Claude. :smile:

I show the hardware in one of the other videos.

It's in its own separate box.

Bob