3 Mufflers for a quiet system ?

Yes, they are still listed on the websites, but are not available to buy. I have tried as recently as 2 weeks ago, and they are no longer in production.

I just called Jeg's and they had 4 in stock so I ordered one and it's supposed to be delivered this Saturday.
I'll let you know what happens.

KS

FYI Dynomax no longer makes the muffler described in this thread.

I got mine today and it is the correct one but I ordered the shorter 14" version to help make the installation easier.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17231/10002/-1?CT=999&sendroicid=b87b5ad1-402e-450a-9647-bc510d253e51&sendroikwd=Dynomax 17231&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BING_VENDOR_Dynomax

I also spoke to two shops today and I didn't have any luck in getting them to try this custom install (even one that advertised custom exhaust systems) so I will keep looking. If I have to I will do it myself, but I would REALLY rather have a shop do it. After a bunch of phone calls I learned that none of our shops in this city or in the nearby towns has a mandrel bender either. :(

ks

What about the mufflers with the spring loaded baffle in it?
Dynomax VT...I just installed these on the Pypes system instead of the RacePro mufflers. Sounds great and there is NO drone. I took TurboBob for a ride in the car after the install, he likes them too. You can actually have a conversation in the car at a normal level. Call Brian at Gbody, he can set you up with what I got.

Bryan

Dynomax VT...I just installed these on the Pypes system instead of the RacePro mufflers. Sounds great and there is NO drone. I took TurboBob for a ride in the car after the install, he likes them too. You can actually have a conversation in the car at a normal level. Call Brian at Gbody, he can set you up with what I got.
Bryan

No way........Who was pushing???????That's why it was so quite.....:D:D

They don't need a mandrel bender to make the muffler work. Just buy U-bends from Jegs/Summit in 2.5" and they just cut and weld them together. That is how I build any mandrel system, whether its intake, boost, headers, ect. U-bends are pretty cheap and just need a chop saw and welder to make them fit. Takes a bit of trial and error to get right. After awhile you'll get good at it and not waste so many bends. Cut too much off of one bend and it will change the angle of the tube. Then you gotta grab another and start over. At $18 a bend (for SS) you learn quick to take your time and make SURE you have it right before you turn the chop saw on. Try a race car fabrication shop, they will be better at custom tube fabrication. That's where I learned to do it many years ago.

mine was built from mandrel bends. I had a dual 2.5" system that we grafted the crossflow onto.

Bob

Thanks guys. I'm still talking with shops but a buddy and I may try it ourselves if we need to.

ks

They don't need a mandrel bender to make the muffler work. Just buy U-bends from Jegs/Summit in 2.5" and they just cut and weld them together. That is how I build any mandrel system, whether its intake, boost, headers, ect. U-bends are pretty cheap and just need a chop saw and welder to make them fit. Takes a bit of trial and error to get right. After awhile you'll get good at it and not waste so many bends. Cut too much off of one bend and it will change the angle of the tube. Then you gotta grab another and start over. At $18 a bend (for SS) you learn quick to take your time and make SURE you have it right before you turn the chop saw on. Try a race car fabrication shop, they will be better at custom tube fabrication. That's where I learned to do it many years ago.
The do make a machine that makes mandrel bends and there are a few (very few) shops that have them. One of them's in Houston. The shops that have them charge more than it would to buy the parts and have them welded up though.:(

I'm bringing this thread up from the dead.
I am wanting to do this 3 muffler setup as described in this thread. I have all the information I need except where to purchase the 2.5" cat-back exhaust pipes with mufflers? I will need to purchase the cat-back system then probably cut the tail pipes off in order to use the Cross Flow muffler described in this thread. So where can I get a Cat-Back y-pipe system?
3 mufflers

I had a 3 muffler system done. I got Cotton's 2 muffler cat back system and then bought the crossflow mufflerfrom summit. A local muffler shop made the mods by cutting Cotton's system at the axle and welding in some bends for a super clean system. He added v bands and clamps for easy disasembly.

No drone and at least as quiet as stock.

Thank You
Kevin

I just got my car back with the 3 mufflers installed! AMAZING!
There is a little bit of drone around 2000RPM but the rpm band that it drones is very narrow, like 2000-2100rpm then it's dead quiet. There is more engine noise than exhaust noise and if I put my ear near the tail pipe I still can't hear the exhaust over the engine at the front of the car. The fuel pump is certainly much noisier than the exhaust coming out of the tail pipes.
I convinced a small local muffler shop (Dougs Mr. Muffler) to do it and I am really impressed by how he managed to get all the pipes to wind through the car. Most shops wouldn't touch it but he decided to give it a shot.
I attached some pics and a list of my parts I used for this install in case someone wants a parts list, but these are for a mild steel kit:

JEGS:
QTY 1: 520-16810 - Hooker 2.5" CAT-Back Exhaust Kit
QTY 2: 289-17219 - Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler (Under the car - I didn't want to use the mufflers that came with the Hooker kit so I bought these instead. These are not a chamber muffler like the Hooker Areo Mufflersr so these should flow better and should be quieter..but this is my opinion)
QTY 1: 289-17231 - Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler (This is the shorter muffler that others have wanted to try in the previous posts and this goes behind the axle. This shorter muffler allows more room for welding the elbows in place)

SUMMIT RACING:
QTY 2: SUM-622003 - U-BEND 2 1/2" 5" - 12" 12"
QTY 6: SUM-670176 - 1D TIGHT EXHAUST BEND 2.5" 90*
QTY 2: WLK-41438 - EXHAUST PIPE ADAPTOR

IMG_5000.JPG
IMG_5001.JPG
IMG_5002.JPG
IMG_5003.JPG
IMG_5004.JPG
IMG_5005.JPG
IMG_5006.JPG

That system looks great!!!! I would be interested to see what the before/after HP numbers would be. But driving a TR without the drone is priceless. Nice work.

I can't wait to see what the boost reading is through full exhaust then again with the dump open. The factory exhaust I took off was the plug in my system. Through the factory exhaust boost would max out at 25psi with the stock turbo (wastegate fully blocked off) but when the dump was open 23psi was the most it would put out.
I also have a new Precision 5831 going on soon so I will really be testing the flow of the exhaust at that time with around 28-30psi of boost being the goal.

ks

That system looks great!!!! I would be interested to see what the before/after HP numbers would be. But driving a TR without the drone is priceless. Nice work.
Somewhere in this thread I think there was some HP numbers or maybe just ET's and with this system you don't lose much power at all. That's why I went with the different mufflers than what came with the Hooker Cat-Back system but I quoted one comment below but this was with a 3" system:

We went to the dyno with Dennis,s car and made a run with the exhaust and without. It made 7 more hp without the exhaust hooked up :) It cant hurt it to much it made 756 to the tire through 3 mufflers on 22# boost :D The car also went 9.32 146 MPH on 21.5#boost 2 week ago :cool: I bitched like hell about that exhaust hurting his HP and after our test i cant say anything about a HP loss but the weight is something else :rolleyes: Sure takes people by surprize to see a low 9sec car without any noise to judge how fast it is :eek:

Well the 3 muffler set up seems to work well but has anyone tride a single 3 inch with 2 mufflers? Not trying to stir things up but just wondering how well it might work.;)

Air bags Kevin, really?:p

On Dennis' StageII car (9.16@149) he had the three muffler system on it in 3" and it gained 6 (SIX) running it un corked. He runs 10.0@136 on a 2.5" three muffler system. Don't think you will gain anything opening it up.

Charlie, adding a second muffler will do virtually nothing to the drone with a single 3" system. Read this whole thread and I mention everything we had tried to get the drone to go away.

Thanks for having it fabbed with the smaller cross flow muffler. I have one sitting on the shelf and just haven't had the time to use it.