3 Mufflers for a quiet system ?

Hey guys, I went with the 17276 because it was tried and true to killing the drone, Yes it is longer and tighter bends are required .
The exhaust made an interesting point that I will always remember, As exhaust gets cooler it takes up less volume therefore requires less volume to flow so for those worried about going down to 2.5 at the end of the system with a straight thru muffler I wouldnt be so worried.

I just wanted to add that Dennis's street car just ran a 10.2 @134.7 last weekend on pump gas and alky, and his 3 muffler system. Time for a cage Dennis.;) There's still alot left in it. Heck, it's not far off from his StageII car.

I just wanted to add that Dennis's street car just ran a 10.2 @134.7 last weekend on pump gas and alky, and his 3 muffler system. Time for a cage Dennis.;) There's still alot left in it. Heck, it's not far off from his StageII car.

What turbo, intercooler, etc.....?

You should post a video...

Bob

For you Bob I'll tell what I've done, but don't tell anyone else:D . I'm not sure there is that much left in it since the weather was good at about 50 degrees.

The motor is the same Stage 1 but stroked to 274 inches. Same ported GN1 heads and stock headers Houston down pipe and 3 mufflers. Changes include PTE 6765 billet wheel turbo with S trim cover and .85 exhaust housing. Non ball bearing. Pte stock location intercooler. Comp 215-220 hyd roller cam. 70mm tb. 275-50-15 M/T Drag radials on 10" wide rims. All runs were at 24 lbs. boost and 0 lb launch on pump gas and alky. This turbo spools like crazy. The converter is about 3300 stall. Car is 3550 lbs with me in it. These are my 3 runs. The 60 fts. could be better, but the rest is fine with me. And there aren't any videos. Sorry. Also the converter was unlocked.

1st run 1.61 60 ft. 108.48 1/8th 10.29 @ 134.81

2nd run 1.56 60 ft. 109.73 1/8th 10.21 @ 134.27

3rd run 1.64 60 ft. 109.56 1/8th 10.32 @ 134.11

And the A/C and cruise control work fine.:cool:

Unfortunately, Dennis was dealt a tough hand, as his cars were caught in a garage fire. I haven't dug the thread out, but it sounded like he was working to get back in the game, starting with another car.....

I am working on a new shortblock, as my original is tired.

That said, I am still completely satisfied with the performance and sound of my setup.

Bob

TTT
save me from reading all these pages..
I have a TTA with the Magnaflow exhaust,its stainless and has just the stock location muf at the rear of the car,,i am a bit loud still i want to flow and be almost whisper quiet,,can it be done... what to use.. thansk guys.. Dennis

TTT
I have a TTA with the Magnaflow exhaust,its stainless and has just the stock location muf at the rear of the car,,i am a bit loud still i want to flow and be almost whisper quiet,,can it be done... what to use.. thanks guys.. Dennis

TTT
I have a TTA with the Magnaflow exhaust,its stainless and has just the stock location muf at the rear of the car,,i am a bit loud still i want to flow and be almost whisper quiet,,can it be done... what to use.. thanks guys.. Dennis

FWIW, I have a NIB Dynomax SS muffler #17276 for sale, $170.00 plus shipping. (Summit/Jegs $193.00+).

Let me know if iterested.

Thanks,
HOW

exhaust

i had the atr 2.5 stock exit with the pit bull mufflers ... this was back in 1998 the car actually ran the best e.t. through the exhaust and was very quiet i currently own a we4 and im looking for a atr kit if anyone knows of one send them my way !!! thanks , scott

3 mufflers

I had a 3 muffler system done. I got Cotton's 2 muffler cat back system and then bought the crossflow mufflerfrom summit. A local muffler shop made the mods by cutting Cotton's system at the axle and welding in some bends for a super clean system. He added v bands and clamps for easy disasembly.

No drone and at least as quiet as stock.

I had a 3 muffler system done. I got Cotton's 2 muffler cat back system and then bought the crossflow mufflerfrom summit. A local muffler shop made the mods by cutting Cotton's system at the axle and welding in some bends for a super clean system. He added v bands and clamps for easy disasembly.

No drone and at least as quiet as stock.

got pics?

I've actually wondered if just running a Dynomax Ultraflow cross flow muffler and no cat would be quiet and not produce any drone...?

I have a dual exhaust with nothing but a Flowmaster cross flow muffler on my Nova and it doesn't drone at all. However it also has 2.25 inch pipes.

From what I understand it's the crossflow muffler that stops the drone. 3 muffs. are extra quiet. The system is 2 1/2". I had a 2 1/4" SS Kenn Belle system that was relatively quiet but droned like crazy, same as every other one I've seen without a crossflow.