3 Mufflers for a quiet system ?

Why would anybody want three mufflers????????????????????

Because some of use like to keep their neighbors happy, and reduce drone headaches.:biggrin: It's nice to drive a car that makes 600+ HP and sounds like it did stock. Loud doesn't mean fast. Just look at 90% of the ricer cars out there. Fart cans, drone, don't make for fast. It also keeps the police off of your butt. It also...................

Dennis use to run four (4)mufflers. He also had one in the stock cat position. Didn't need it though.

I was just on the Dynomax site and I see they offer an Ultraflow "X" muffler now. Instead of the flow being one side to the other it flows just like an X pipe so I wonder if that would be a better idea for us? I'm planning to go to 3 mufflers on my car shortly so I wanted to throw it out there for feedback. Only downside I see is it's not available in SS.

I was just on the Dynomax site and I see they offer an Ultraflow "X" muffler now. Instead of the flow being one side to the other it flows just like an X pipe so I wonder if that would be a better idea for us? I'm planning to go to 3 mufflers on my car shortly so I wanted to throw it out there for feedback. Only downside I see is it's not available in SS.

The "X" muffler will NOT work. It will cause the two inlets to smash into each other. You need the standard dual pass cross flow muffler if installed in the stock location.
I have the Magnaflow "X" muffler on my car now. I will soon be changing to the three muffler system. (because it drones pretty bad.) I bought the muffler thinking it was the non-"X" design, but when I opened the box I was disappointed. I ended up using it anyway, by using it as a 3" single shot deal. I Y'd the 3" single into the muffler and brought two 2.5" pipes out over the rear end out the passenger side qtr. panel. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/194545-new-exhaust-system.html

Thanks for the input I'll stick with the straight across Ultraflow. I'm unclear on the underseat mufflers though. I see some pics of SS oval mufflers installed and I see pics of round race type mufflers installed. Is there a sound difference or performance difference in the 3 muffler application? I wanted to stay all stainless so was leaning towards the oval mufflers since I don't think race ones come stainless. I also see pics of side in center out, and side in side out. My car has 17734's on it now which are side/side but I'd think side/center would be a little easier to plumb. Can you comment on that?

Easy and plumb just don't fit in the same sentence when building a three muffler system.;) Ultra-Flow still makes the non-x mufflers listed earlier in the post. Round or oval underseat mufflers should be nearly the same as far as noise. Time cutting, fitting, tacking and then final welding is pretty high, but very rewarding.

I did all the fabricating myself & had a retired welding instructer do the final welding - beautiful welding.

My Pit Bulls have been on the TR over 10 years. I'm somewhat dissappointed in the sound - still a little loud. I wonder if replacing the Pit Bulls would help the sound level?

I did all the fabricating myself & had a retired welding instructer do the final welding - beautiful welding.

My Pit Bulls have been on the TR over 10 years. I'm somewhat dissappointed in the sound - still a little loud. I wonder if replacing the Pit Bulls would help the sound level?

Most definately! The Pit Bulls are prone to blowing the sound deadening material out of them. I had a Pit Bull loose it's "innerds" idling in the staging lanes. Looked like a cotton wood tree opened up behind the car.:eek: I had people coming up to me asking what in the heck was coming out the tail pipe. This was on a fairly new muffler. It had less than 5,000 miles on it.:mad:

Hooker makes a 2-1/4" dual-inlet, 2-1/4" dual-outlet muffler in both the Aerochamber (21710HKR) and the MaxFlow (21810HKR). The catalog shows the exhaust gases going the same direction for each inlet-outlet pair. But the MaxFlow is bidirectional so it could be set up for cross-flow.

OK, mine is done

I had the Torque Tech aluminized cat back system with stainless Ultra Flows
(#17272) and a test pipe. The drone was terrible. After learning about the tri-muffler system, I decided to change it up a bit. I did not like the look and tight fit of the dual mufflers, so I put a #17515 crossflow in the stock location. The fit is a bit tight and the custom work is expensive, but it is very nice. I will post some pictures. Sounds great, and the look is back to stock. I don't think backpressure is an issue with this one. Back to tuning.
And, thanks, Bob.

Contact RJC and see if Jason will build one for you. He has a single inlet dual outlet muffler in 3". Similar to ATR's old system. That is the muffler that Dennis Hogan (designer of the three muffler system, built by Sean O'Brien) runs on his StageII car with three mufflers and it runs just a tick under 150mph, through the mufflers! Let us know what he says. I was hoping he was going to build his system into a three muffler system. More weight, but MUCH quieter. In 3" it would be the best of both worlds. If you can't find anyone to build/modify one by June, let me know. I won't have time until then to do much of anything.

Contact RJC and see if Jason will build one for you. He has a single inlet dual outlet muffler in 3". Similar to ATR's old system. That is the muffler that Dennis Hogan (designer of the three muffler system, built by Sean O'Brien) runs on his StageII car with three mufflers and it runs just a tick under 150mph, through the mufflers! Let us know what he says. I was hoping he was going to build his system into a three muffler system. More weight, but MUCH quieter. In 3" it would be the best of both worlds. If you can't find anyone to build/modify one by June, let me know. I won't have time until then to do much of anything.

Thanks Ken you are the man. I'll give Jason a call about the muffler.