3 Mufflers for a quiet system ?

Maybe Jack Cotton, too. His son makes some nice stuff, from what I've seen

Although I didn't end up going to Jack because his schedule was full when I got mine done, I did talk to him and he said he (his son Brian??) could/would do the fab of my custom 3 muffler system.

In my opinion if a vendor would fab up a 3 muffler system it would be a hit.:cool:

I have been saying this for years.

The first time I drove mine I was amazed that I wasn't turning the stereo up after leaving a traffic light. I had always needed to do that previously.

Mine is 2 2.5" ultraflows under the rear seats, and a 17276 ultraflow across the back.

Bob

I've got the 3" ATR Crossflow and its really loud, I was thiking about a high flow barrel type muffler where the cat is, any recomendations??

I've got the 3" ATR Crossflow and its really loud, I was thiking about a high flow barrel type muffler where the cat is, any recomendations??

I never had that system, but I tried a muffler where the cat is and it essentially did nothing to quiet it down.

Flowmasters

I'm running 21/2 inch duals with Flowmaster 5o's. I see several posts saying Flowmasters are no good on our cars???? Can anyone explain further please???:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm running 21/2 inch duals with Flowmaster 5o's. I see several posts saying Flowmasters are no good on our cars???? Can anyone explain further please???:confused: :confused: :confused:

They have ALOT of restriction, and thier literature is (somewhat) valid only on a normally aspirated engine. A turbocharger in front of a flow master completely voids any possible (if any) gain using their theories. I have installed Flowmasters only becasue the customer demanded them. I personally have never liked the tin can sound they make, anyway. But, a Ultra-Flow style muffler will work better in just about every car. (I didn't say EVERY case, becasue I'm sure there's a engine somewhere on some dyno that made .0035% more power with a Flowmaster muffler. Marketing at its best. IMO.
Turbocars need to have a high flowing exhaust to help the tubo spool. The idea that an engine needs back pressure is not valid on a turbo engine, because there is a huge amount of back pressure from the turbocharger itself.

thanks. Surfing for mufflers now. Dynomax seems to be the best option? Ultra flo welded is what I'm looking at.

They have ALOT of restriction, and thier literature is (somewhat) valid only on a normally aspirated engine. A turbocharger in front of a flow master completely voids any possible (if any) gain using their theories. I have installed Flowmasters only becasue the customer demanded them. I personally have never liked the tin can sound they make, anyway. But, a Ultra-Flow style muffler will work better in just about every car. (I didn't say EVERY case, becasue I'm sure there's a engine somewhere on some dyno that made .0035% more power with a Flowmaster muffler. Marketing at its best. IMO.
Turbocars need to have a high flowing exhaust to help the tubo spool. The idea that an engine needs back pressure is not valid on a turbo engine, because there is a huge amount of back pressure from the turbocharger itself.

Ken,

What's your opinion on the spiral flow muffler (Moroso)?

Jerry

Ken,

What's your opinion on the spiral flow muffler (Moroso)?

Jerry

I personally have never tried them, BUT.......I KNOW that a Wlaker Ultra-flow (or any brand that is a straight through perforrated pipe muffler) will work and sound great. Read that again. A straight through perforrated pipe muffler (you pick the brand, Walker, Magnaflow, Gorlicks, ect.) will WORK. No need to re-invent the wheel. Dennis Hogan has tried just about every muffler there is, and if his StageII car can run 150mph through three straight through mufflers, then they flat out work. Will other style of mufflers work? Sure. but why even buy any other design? Now if you already have them on your car, that's a completely different story. In THAT case.........The Moroso mufflers are the BEST!!!!;) :D Note: If you can't see straight through it, leave it on the shelf. If it has louvers hanging into the exhaust stream (glass pack) leave it on the shelf, and call Jeg's, Summit, or any vendor that caries a straight through perforrated pipe muffler. I think I have typed that more times in one post than anyone ever has. But in case anyone missed it...................................:p

turbofabricator and others

How do you think the RJC exhaust will perform in terms of noise? What about adding an extra muffler to that system. Would that be close to the 3 muffler system?

I'm thinking of getting that exhaust, but I would like to hear what it sounds like first.

Thanks
Chris

I concur. Flowmasters are IMO good for when you have a low performance V6/V8 and you want to "make" it "sound good". Notice I said "low performance"....meaning an engine that is not required to breathe heavily....for example, that emissions plagued 1970's V8 american car....but you want it to "sound" like it's an animal....that's where Flowmasters shine. For when you want more bark than bite. Also good for 5 point slow Mustangs. :p

Anytime you are dealing with high performance where the engine is going to be pumping huge amounts of air thru or a turbo car, a low restriction muffler/exhaust system is key.

No Flowmasters aren't the master of flow, despite people thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread....they just make an otherwise 200 hp smog era 302/305/350 sound like it's a million bucks.;)

thanks. Surfing for mufflers now. Dynomax seems to be the best option? Ultra flo welded is what I'm looking at.

That's what I'd go with. Dynomax Ultraflows. You can look in one end and see out the other thru a perforated tube.

FWIW twice I've replaced Flowmasters with Ultraflows on n/a V8 cars and picked up top end power. On the Buick I swapped the stock 2.25 exhaust pipe, stock downpipe, homemade 2.25 test pipe and both Flowmasters....for a 3 inch downpipe and a straight shot 3 inch pipe with an Ultraflow 3 inch in/out muffler and 3 inch test pipe and had to turn the boost down....went from 19 PSI to 26 + PSI. :eek:

I finally got the stainless Ultraflow installed with the 2 Pit Bulls still in place.

I bought mandral bends & welded it all together. I spent more than a weekend on this install.

The quiet is worth all the work, time & money. I hear tire noise now & don't turn the radio up anymore. I do have the electric cutout, but the TR seems to run as well thru the muffs. The extra weight is not enough of a worry to offset the quiet.

Buicks SHOULD be quiet.

turbofabricator and others

How do you think the RJC exhaust will perform in terms of noise? What about adding an extra muffler to that system. Would that be close to the 3 muffler system?

I'm thinking of getting that exhaust, but I would like to hear what it sounds like first.

Thanks
Chris

For an exhaust system to be real quiet and not have drone, you MUST have a cross flow muffler in the system where the two exhaust pulses are going in opposite directions. If you look at the pictures that Bob posted, you will see that the upper tube in the cross flow muffler travels in one direction, while the lower tube flows in the opposite direction. This is what eliminates the drone. For those that say their 2.5" (brand X, Y, OR, Z) doesn't drone, just plain doesn't know what drone is. I have spent countless hours trying to eliminate the drone (on systems that folks SWEAR doesn't have drone) and the only system that honestly cancels out the drone is the Dennis Hogan designed, and Sean O'Brien built 3 muffler system. I have built the same system w/o the two under car mufflers, and it is louder, but the drone is minimal. Adding the Cross-flow muffler behind the rear axle is the BEST thing you can do IF you want a quiet, but high flowing exhaust. Try it, you will NOT be sorry. I have completely wrapped an ATR stainless system from turbo to tail pipes, and it did NOTHING. I installed a 3" muffler where the cat goes.......NOTHING! Sean took over and tried just about every muffler there is, and if it was restrictive (KILLED power) it would work. But, the only way to make a high flow system and kill 99% of the drone, is to use a cross-flow muffler. I have nothing to gain i saying this. You'll just have to trust me.
And the few guys on here that have also done it and had the same results. They ALL say the same thing. Not much room for debate, here. Just do it. Unless you can't afford the fabrication costs, then buy a system that works for you, and buy ear plugs for your wife/girlfriend if you plan on making a long trip.;)
Some vendor NEEDS to step up here and make the system affordable. ONe option is the welded steel version of the Ultra-flow. It is narrower and would be ALOT easier to make fit. I have one along with two of the welded steel ultra-flows to install on my car. I figure they would last about 5 years, and are cheaper (by a bunch) than the stainless versions) The main reason I bought them was to see if it canceled the drone as well as the wider SS version. I just haven't had time to install them. I have the SS tubing waiting, just need about a week of spare time in the evening to build it. BUT, my car is for sale and NEED to sell it. (I'm moving and don't want to bring the car with me. (Someone, make me an offer in the next 20 days, would ya!!)

I just checked some prices on the Dynomax 17276...

Summit: $193.95
Jegs: $193.99
A-1 Performance Exhaust $178.95

Never heard of the last guys but if it saves a few bucks....

Does anyone know if this muffler is offered in another finish other than "polished"

The 17231 welded muffler is what I have and am going to try on the next system I build. It is smaller thatn the 17276, so it will be easier to get it to fit w/o having to cut the inlets/ outlets off. I'm not positive that it'll cancel all the drone, but I was going to try it. If it does, it is the muffler of choice, except it is NOT SS. If you want the same dimensions as the 17231, then use the 17515 welded steel muffler. Obviously they won't last as long, but as far as function, they'll be the same. The center perforated pipes, are stainless, though.

My cars rarely come out and only when it's really nice out. No rain, no snow. Mostly garage queens. Not too worried about muffler longevity since they really won't be exposed to the elements. Just want something that will quiet the car down a bit. My GN drones so loud I can't hardly speak in the car.:eek:

What about these for the two in-line mufflers?

With the expensive custom bending and welding already done on the new crossflow muffler, it would be a shame to cut that nice work and try to wedge in the Ultraflows that were very tight before I took them off. There is a straight section (about 12") right before the bend over the rear axle. Walker makes the 24215 bullet style muffler (2.5" inlet/outlet, 4" diameter)with a 12" case that might work instead.

I haven't had the car out for a while with the weather, work and having the wheels refinished. This week, back on the street.

Even with the crossflow, I could quiet it down a bit more. This could be the right fit for mine.

Just thought I would throw that out there...