6776 track results....

Talked to Damon who has the same 3200 converter. He's seeing 600 rpm drop in the 11.0 range so it's definately odd that your blowing through yours. We'll get yours open and make sure nothings laid over.

This is a rare case but it's not the first time a converter in a 200r application seems out in left field. I have had 2 other instances where the converter looked new on the inside but the stall was off quite a bit from where it should be. I have not been able to find any answers as far as if the converter feed is different or what may cause this. This only seems to be the case with 200r trannies. I have not ran across this with the T-400 stuff.

Dusty, I will be do some WOT passes tonight and check my RPMs for sure with visual and data log info then I will get back to you. Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me on the phone and troubleshoot this. I really appreciate it.:)

Dusty, I will be do some WOT passes tonight and check my RPMs for sure with visual and data log info then I will get back to you. Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me on the phone and troubleshoot this. I really appreciate it.:)

Post up the findings here, we have close the same combo and I have a PTC 3200 on the way, I'm worried I should have got the 2800 now lol, let us know what you find.

Post up the findings here, we have close the same combo and I have a PTC 3200 on the way, I'm worried I should have got the 2800 now lol, let us know what you find.

As Dusty said everycar is different. Turbo6(Damon) had pretty much the same combo as me but he is getting a good rpm drops between shifts. I will post the results when I get the restalled converter. The good news is I guess the car is making ALOT of power.:D

I wouldn't worry just yet. This is why most companies offer a free stall change. I know it's a PIA to pull it out and send it back which is why I take so much time to get it as close as possible on the first try. Occasionally this happens and the two cars here are a perfect example. Identical converters, one runs 11.0's with a 600 rpm drop, the other has almost no drop but is making enough power for low 11 second runs.

Like I mentioned earlier. Some 200r's act differently than others. Since I'm not a transmission guy I can't explain it but heat and the way the tranny fills the converter are just 2 variables that have an effect on stall speed.

Dude if you ran an 11.90 and only trapped 90mph after getting out of it, your car is freaking fast :D

Mine likes to knock in high gears too (on nitrous mainly), I am thinking about doing some race gas for the track...

Dude if you ran an 11.90 and only trapped 90mph after getting out of it, your car is freaking fast :D

Mine likes to knock in high gears too (on nitrous mainly), I am thinking about doing some race gas for the track...

I hope it turns some good numbers when I get it dialed in.

Hope you get your combo dialed so that we see what this turbo is really about. Do you have ported heads or anything?

I've run 7.0's in the 1/8th at 98-99mph with a PT52 and 22-23psi. I'd be disappointed if only John P from NE and Melissa are the only ones putting big numbers down with a 67 of sorts. Can't think of anyone else runing mid 10's or faster.

We just ordered one for a friend here in Texas and I'm contemplating the same one too for myself and Dusty's 10".

Dusty, how much power is the 10" good for? and will it support a mid/low 10 second car (all else considered).

John

I've run 7.0's in the 1/8th at 98-99mph with a PT52 and 22-23psi. I'd be disappointed if only John P from NE and Melissa are the only ones putting big numbers down with a 67 of sorts. Can't think of anyone else runing mid 10's or faster.

John

Don Plumbo (sp?) went at least low 10's with a non ball bearing 67 and iron heads in TSM.

Good to know Don has used it. I'm just trying to sift through all of the guys using it and whether they've really gone "faster". or at least faster with lower boost, etc. Would be great to see these turbos taken apart and compared with the old 63, 64 (66), and T66 variations.

I like the turbo, I'm just trying to justify the upgrade.

Good to know Don has used it. I'm just trying to sift through all of the guys using it and whether they've really gone "faster". or at least faster with lower boost, etc. Would be great to see these turbos taken apart and compared with the old 63, 64 (66), and T66 variations.

I like the turbo, I'm just trying to justify the upgrade.

Me too. My GN runs great with the old school 63E. I have been tempted a few times to get a 67DBB. Just trying to justify the expense. My buddy had a journal bearing 67 and I was not that impressed by it. My GN and his car have the same mods except turbo. And mine was about 2-3 MPH faster at the same boost. Cars weighed the same too.

subscribed....

Ed...zip Steve (dogslow Steve) an email. he posted on here awhile back here he was blowing through his converter also. He had a single disk vig and unlocked he was getting over 20% slip similar to what you're experiencing. I think he quoted 17% while it was locked!!!

If the tracks were open here, I'd post back my results as all three of us have similar combos. Good luck.
-Mike

I believe now after really analyzing my rpm logs and speaking to Dusty Bradford and Brian Hofer that my problem is a bad converter(some fins layed down) or it just needs to be a little tighter. I am also installing a deep sump pan and rear pick up while I am at it. Cant hurt.

I hope I dont disappoint anyone with the numbers when I go back to the track. I am only going to run about 23 psi. I have a bone stock bottom end and my car is basically a show car that I drive 5-10 miles on a Sunday. I am not trying to run mid to low 10's.:redface: I put the big turbo on just to have room to grow down the road if plans change. If I run a low 11 with my combo I will be happy.:smile:

I wish you luck. I am hoping to see some good numbers out of your car. I want to get that 67DBB. Just need a good reason. :cool:

I hope I dont disappoint anyone with the numbers when I go back to the track. I am only going to run about 23 psi. I have a bone stock bottom end /QUOTE]

Stock bottom end here as well but I replaced the rod and mains with AARP hardware but other than that, stock shortblock.

I wouldn't be surprised if you pick up at least 3mph due to a more efficient converter. You'll be flirting with high tens easy at your same 23lbs of boost once dialed in. We need more vid's of show quality GN's, like yours, running as good as they look....bring a camera with ya next time out:cool:

Dusty, the 600 rpm drop was with the 3200 and my new motor, with the stock 109 it was in the 850 range.

Let me tell you my story, not to hijack the thread. My car has been 11.06 with a 1.63 60' at 108 mph, letting off slightly after the 1/8th. 6.90 at 101 1/8th. This was with a stock 60k block and Dusty's PTC 3200 converter.
Now fast forward to the present. I have a 250ci. stroker with the same turbo and with that same converter I was blowing right through it. So now I have a 2800 stall and it did the trick. Spool up is really quick, and my rpms are dropping 950-1000 rpms on the shifts.

Having said that, a 3200 stall and a stock displacement 109 is a real good match for the DBB 6776. Not sure how well the turbo would spool with a 2800 stall, but I'm sure someone will let us know.

Consider me the leader of BB 6776 reserch and development. ;)

We just ordered one for a friend here in Texas and I'm contemplating the same one too for myself and Dusty's 10".

Dusty, how much power is the 10" good for? and will it support a mid/low 10 second car (all else considered).

John

It will support a mid-low 10 second car. Using Damon's info above with his 250ci and 6776, he's seeing nearly 1000 rpm drop with a 2800 stall which is nearly perfect. I'll be looking forward to feedback from his track runs to see how it does out the back.

Ed tried a 2800 initially on his stock motor car but reported issues of it being hard to spool. He had other issues at the time that may have contributed, we're still going over a few things as well as cutting his converter open to see if anything has changed. Looking at his rpm/boost #'s with the 3200, I don't see why a 2800 won't work for Ed.

Personally I prefer using a non lock converter once the car is into the 10's and intended to run there often. These 10" converters use oem parts which keeps the cost down. They will hold up but aren't the best converter for a mid 10 application. Damon will be stress testing his for sure:biggrin: His combo of the 6776 with the extra ci of the stroker compliments each other very well. He can run a tighter converter which helps efficiency.

The non locks use much better internals, can be better suited to stall needs of the combo. I have nearly a 1600 rpm range in 200 rpm increments that the non lock can be adjusted. Not so with the 10".

Having said that, a 3200 stall and a stock displacement 109 is a real good match for the DBB 6776. Not sure how well the turbo would spool with a 2800 stall, but I'm sure someone will let us know.

Lacey's T-type will have the above combo (Stock un-opened 109 {90k miles} w/ Dusty's 2800 L/U) in two weeks or so. I will let you know how it goes on drop and spoolup.:smile:

Brad

After PM to Dusty
I'm going to try my 2800 ProTorque first on the new setup I also have a PTE 3200-3500 might be a little much

yeah after seeing this thread kinda starting to wonder i just got that PTC 3400 non lock up from Dusty