87 GN in Angleton, TX (Just south of Houston)...I NEED HELP!!!

Nero328

I purchased an 87 GN and 84 T Type a month ago. Both of these cars are basket cases and I am trying right now to piece together the GN and go from there. I have the motor back in and I am so close to hearing this thing roar but I am so far away. I have no idea what is wrong but I cant get a spark or fuel!!!

I can jump the fuel pump and the pump runs great but it doesn't come on when you urn the key on and I am also NOT getting spark. I have been messing with this thing ALL DAY LONG and I haven't gotten anywhere. At this point I know if there was a GN guy standing here with me we would have it running in no time at all. Is there anyone around the Houston area willing to come to Angleton to have a look at this thing and see if we can get it resolved? I know the GN community is amazing and that is the only reason I ask this question. I am happy to cook a steak lunch and provide all the beer!

Let me know if anyone is interested. I have never had a GN and remember watching them tear up the streets as a teenager...now I have 2 of them and not one running car between them!

unrelated, but since you're new to them, did you set the cam sensor properly? if you aren't sure than you didn't - and need to go find that procedure. If you are breaking in a flat tappet cam too? if so, than you definitely need to get all your ducks in a row for that start up and break in.

The motor ran in the other car for about 15 minutes with the precious owner. I did check the power wire, I assume you meanthw wire that (on my car) is coupled with the positive terminal cable. Is has a fuse able link on it

Holy crap! Eticket!!!! Your my new hero, after hours of messing with this damn thing I never thought of the simple problem...yes it was connected but the wire had pulled in two internally and it looked as if it was still in tact. When I tested it I didn't get power, I connected it and solved ALL of my problems! Damn your good...when are you coming over for a steak dinner?

Glad you got it resolved. Was just going to suggest me coming over.

Since Eticket is in the SA area, i will stop by and eat the steak. Lol

Well, you may still want to come over...I still don't have ignition. Not sure what that problem is yet!

There are a few ways . . You can listen or feel the injector pulse, while you crank the engine, or go the parts store and buy/rent the tool/light.

I am sure I could feel it but my arms aren't long enough to crank it and feel them at the same time! My wife and boys are away now and it's just me. I will try that when they get home. Still can't figure out why I don't have spark? The car ran before and I didn't change a thing...

I presume that the crank and cam sensors are plugged in and setup correctly? Do you have every plug - plugged in? Crank sensor low driver's side of front cover, cam sensor 3 wires front of intake in front cover, injector harness rear of intake and of course the coil pack connector at the rear? if you have fuel and no spark, then you probably check your crank sensor first, than cam sensor.

I have everything plugged in except for the MAF and O2 sensors on the up pipe. I do have a small single wire pin the same harness as the crank sensor that I have no idea where it goes and also for some strange reason my Throttle Positioning sensor plug is Missing in action. That one baffles me, I have another square 4 pin plug that is long and I can't find a home for either. I already have the one that plugs into the throttle body but it looks exactly like that one

there's no o2 sensor on an up pipe? air temp sensor maybe, but that's pre turbo... the single wire is likely the stock o2 sensor wire.... sounds like you seriously need to work out some wiring before you go further.

There is a 2 wire that goes to a stock boost solenoid... a flat 4 wire egr plug

I
there's no o2 sensor on an up pipe? air temp sensor maybe, but that's pre turbo... the single wire is likely the stock o2 sensor wire.... sounds like you seriously need to work out some wiring before you go further.

There is a 2 wire that goes to a stock boost solenoid... a flat 4 wire egr plug

Some of this stuff is new to me so I may be calling it something it's not...

The O2 sensor is in the passenger side header right?

If I post a few pictures here can you help me identify a few of these?

I can't find a plug for this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 118