87 GN in Angleton, TX (Just south of Houston)...I NEED HELP!!!

If those two things are not plugged in you will have runability issues but not the starting issues you are having.
That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure. I will take some pictures this evening and get them posted...I am also going to run through the setting procedure one more time when I get home now that I have had a little time to walk away from it and relax a little.

Your 15 and 23 DTCs are for the coolant temp sensor and the MAT (manifold air temp)....wouldn't keep it from starting.

Check the connector? To make sure it is plugged in?

I went ahead and set up the piping on the car to plug in the MAFT and translator plus but have a two wire plug leftover with no home...any idea where that goes?

Probably a T+, whereby the two wire plug is optional to adjust ignition timing. Post a pic.

Last edited:
Here is the plug

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 84
If its from the translator, than:
1 - cover should say "translator plus" (edit: i can see the "plus" in the picture.)
2 - there should be 4 knobs inside
3 - its optional and used for ignition/timing adjustment.

Edit 2 :rolleyes: : If this was previously setup, you may want to plug out in for now. The other side will be from the coil/module harness.

Here are the other pictures pictures you asked for

I know the crank sensor is a little blurry but I can't get the damn phone to focus in that tight spot!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
I second jerryl , that looks like timing option. Not your starting problem

I second jerryl , not your starting problem
Yeah, I didn't think so...the previous owner said he thought it could be but also said that the folks here (you guys) would know better. He was dumbfounded that I having this problem too but I am sure I have done something wrong or there is just a difference between the 2 cars that is causing this. I am running the same ECM though.

Ok. Take a picture from another angle at the ignition module wires and plug. Are you sure the grounds from the coil/module to the engine are solid?

Also, of the followed the procedure to the exact, the cam sensor is about 90 deg off. Does not mean it won't work the way it is now, just an observation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought that too but at ATDC that is where the window is...shouldn't it be pointing towards the drivers side headlight?

Is this what you were looking for on the pictures?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 81
I am slightly confused by the "Edit 2" comments?
If its from the translator, than:
1 - cover should say "translator plus" (edit: i can see the "plus" in the picture.)
2 - there should be 4 knobs inside
3 - its optional and used for ignition/timing adjustment.

Edit 2 :rolleyes: : If this was previously setup, you may want to plug out in for now. The other side will be from the coil/module harness.

I am slightly confused by the "Edit 2" comments?
I was just referring to the T+ plug.
Post a picture of the electric wires plugging into the ignition module. Something appears off from 60 miles away (?)

Ah, ok. "I" would regroup and take all that MSD s*** off, and plug the main harness directly to the ignition module. Plenty guys making power with stock junk.

The only reason I have the MSD on it is because it was the way it was set up in the other car and the stock ignition I have was shot and not firing.

Also, I don't think that is causing my problem. Do you???

Last edited:
Understand, and may not be the issue, its just what i would do. If the cars starts without it, you found the issue, of not, you can put it back on. Process of elimination.

There are enough flaky things with these cars to add another variable. Besides, I heard those systems can be troublesome.

Understand, and may not be the issue, its just what i would do. If the cars starts without it, you found the issue, of not, you can put it back on. Process of elimination.

There are enough flaky things with these cars to add another variable. Besides, I heard those systems can be troublesome.
I run one on the dragster and haven't ever had trouble with it but I have heard some horror stories as well. I guess I can buy a new stock unit and try that. I will probably wait until getting the Caspers cap tomorrow before spending more money! I have dropped some serious cash in the last month trying to get this thing running again, some of it necessary and some not really necessary. My wife had some words for me this afternoon which makes me slightly leery about jumping online and ordering one! If I was 100% confident in the cam sensor being right I probably would do that, after you made the comment about it looking 90 degrees off and me already having that suspicion I am not convinced it is right. Only weird thing is I turned it around to "where it should be" and it still acts the same way. I may just have to BEG someone to come over and help me take a look at it.

Last edited: