Alky Vs Racegas!!!

Steady diet of 100+ here....:biggrin:

150 passes + an equal or better amount of steet races / encounters over the past 18 years and 80k of hard driving at boost levels ranging from 20-30+ psi...all on the factory headgaskets.

Needless to say I'm sold on triple digit octane..........its not mechanical so it won't fail.

flame suit on.......:biggrin:

I know your a pro at changing 02 sensors aint cha!;)
But I wont add that to the cost because I'm sure you get them replaced under warranty...at least I hope you do.

How much do you spend on fuel a month...answer=more than me:biggrin:

Bet you spent more than $500 to dual fuel it, and it wasn't sent to you in a complete kit with instructions and Great Tech Support.

Race gas vs alky is nothing more than a money issue and ease of installation. Look at all these responses in this thread...it's about the money not how well it works. If people would take the time to think about what is "truely" the best fuel their opinions would be different. I don't see alky guys running more than 28lbs of boost like you can with race gas.;) Think about that when comparing the two instead of the prices. ;)

My 2 cents.

After having owned 3 TR over the past 12 years, ALky is the best mod to come along in my opinion for the budget street guy. I did the race gas thing for years and I dont miss it at all!

How can one argue about a kit that is tried and true(Alkycontrol), that lets you drive to the gas staion and fill up and always be loaded for bear.

I got caught on the street many times without the race gas and it was no fun. If you own a 8-9-10 second race car then I fully support your use of race gas 100% of the time..but on the street there is no substitute.

Alky gets an A+ rating for low cost, ease of use, and productivity. Period.

Alky is the best! I ran race gas on the street for years and was throing $$$ away because on the street, 99% of the time, you don't need race gas just to cruise around. You also had to stay close to a station that sells race gas.

For exconomy and convenience, not to mention performance, alky is the way to go IMO. If you want insurance... throw in some race gas when you go to the track.

Race gas vs. Alky

I recently started running 93 and alky, but ran 110 before that and from what I have seen the benefit of running Race Gas is that U will be able to run more timing at lets say 27 lbs of boost compared running 93 and alky at that same 27lbs of boost. More timing equals more power. That being said Ive become a strict Alcoholic.

I have been running VP 100 octane UL full-time from the pump for almost a year now and I love it. I am currently set at about 22 lbs of boost, I believe. However, the price just went up from $5.90 a gal to $6.70 a gal and that was the straw that broke the camels back. I am going to get my Alkycontrol alky kit installed in the very near future and go back to crappy Kali 91 octane and add a gal or two of VP 100 octane UL as necessary if necessary to the
91 octane to run about 22-23 lbs. of boost. 100 octane, leaded or unleaded is bullet proof, no doubt, but with alky I think that you will pick up at least a few horse due to the cooling aspect of it.

state your opinion and list reasoning for your choice.....

To have "fair" listings of opinions, the goals and budget for the driver must be stated as well. Here are my example opinions :tongue: ;

First off:
Definition according to my opinion :tongue: ;
DD - 300+ miles/week
Weekend driver - 150+ miles/weekend
Budget limited - "Starts to drive a bit less if gas was over $3.50/gal"
Budget unlimited - "Would not care if gas was $6.35/gal"
Low risk performance - 22 PSI max
High risk performance - 27 PSI min

So, IMHO the winners are :biggrin: :
For a DD Boost of 20 PSI max - 93 + alky
For a DD boost in the high upper 20's - 93 + alky

For a weekend driver 20 PSI max, 93 + alky
For a weekend driver high 20PSI, 93 + alky

For a weekend racer 20 PSI max, 93 + alky
For a weekend racer high 20 PSI, 110 + alky

Limited budget DD, 93 + alky hands down.
Unlimited budget DD or racer, Turbo Blue + alky

So, it all comes down to the budget, risk, set-up, combination, and goal.
The budget dictates:
Risk level
Boost level
Fuel used

Of course you always have some the real innovative members;
For a someone who has an awesome set-up (Turbo1dr), 93 + Race gas

JMO

Love the alky!!!
It was the best bang for the buck mod by far.
I too have been caught on the street w/o the octane to run higher boost levels.

No more with the alky..kill mode all the time.

Alky. It's all about $$, it's cheap, but, can fail both mechanically and running the tank dry. :eek:

Race gas can't mechanically fail.

I don't street race, so don't need it on a daily basis.

Race gas is pricey, but, There's no way I would feel safe at the track running 28# of boost and 27° of WOT timing on alky.

Posted this in the other thread already... but I run both.

100 sunoco and SMC dual nozzle with Torco methanol. 28PSI from a 6776RH turbo and 25/23 degrees timing at 11.1-11.3 A/F ratio. So far so good.... sure is fun.

Alky all the way for me .. we have our cars tuned for it so it's ready to go ANYTIME :eek: $$$ wasn't the issue... turning everything down to drive it on the street did.. we DRIVE our cars .. no trailer queens here .. 10.10 @ 132 :eek: what else can I say :p oh we put on 8/10k on Melissa's car last summer ;)
oh if someone wants to run race gas who cares ???? it's their car .. whats the big deal??? guess I missed the "other" thread :eek:

Alchy here!

I still remember paying $.25 a gal. for sunoco 104 back in the day! I still cringe every time I have to pay $3.00 a gal. for the 87 gas now for the family cars, so the alchy helps to ease the pain!:eek: :redface: :biggrin:

My choice, Alky...

I used to run with a mix of race gas and 93 but my TR wasn't a daily driver. Just a weekend/night time cruiser. One of the limiting factors for me to drive it was the fuel costs.
I wanted an alky system primarily based on the cost/performance gains. I knew that it is a man made device and man made devices will fail at some point.
With that said, my goals for my TR are this; street brawler, occasional track, and just putting around. If and when something in the make-up of my combination fails I want it to be a head gasket, something that I can easily repair. I can not afford the race gas anymore at over $6 a gallon.
I just wish my transmission would of held up until the end of the year. :mad:

Race gas and Alky are as different as K-Y Jelly and Lip Balm. They can be used for the same thing but truly are made for different applications.

I am a PUMP gas fan :D. My 9 second car has no alky just straight 93. I run low timing and 19psi. For an ALL out assault on the track, no holds barred race you better put some 116 in the tank to be on the safe side. It doesn't matter what you run if don't watch the tune like a hawk. You better expect the worse if are guessing on your tune or strandling the line with motor on edge. One belch or fart with fuel or timing and out comes the dust pan and foxtail :D

ok....im gonna stick my hand in liquid nitrogen........ so bottom of the line is ____________ is best hands down....someone fill in the blank.

To have "fair" listings of opinions, the goals and budget for the driver must be stated as well. Here are my example opinions :tongue: ;

First off:
Definition according to my opinion :tongue: ;
DD - 300+ miles/week
Weekend driver - 150+ miles/weekend
Budget limited - "Starts to drive a bit less if gas was over $3.50/gal"
Budget unlimited - "Would not care if gas was $6.35/gal"
Low risk performance - 22 PSI max
High risk performance - 27 PSI min

So, IMHO the winners are :biggrin: :
For a DD Boost of 20 PSI max - 93 + alky
For a DD boost in the high upper 20's - 93 + alky

For a weekend driver 20 PSI max, 93 + alky
For a weekend driver high 20PSI, 93 + alky

For a weekend racer 20 PSI max, 93 + alky
For a weekend racer high 20 PSI, 110 + alky

Limited budget DD, 93 + alky hands down.
Unlimited budget DD or racer, Turbo Blue + alky

So, it all comes down to the budget, risk, set-up, combination, and goal.
The budget dictates:
Risk level
Boost level
Fuel used

Of course you always have some the real innovative members;
For a someone who has an awesome set-up (Turbo1dr), 93 + Race gas

JMO

ok....im gonna stick my hand in liquid nitrogen........ so bottom of the line is ____________ is best hands down....someone fill in the blank.

Did you get a chance to read my thread?
While it is an opinion, there is no such thing as "just one solution".
It depends on the goal and budget, risk assessment, etc.