Anyone popped a head gasket with the power plate?

TURBO 6

Beer Snob
Staff member
Well, anyone? I remember Jason Cramer bringing this up before, but I haven't seen anyone report that they have yet. I know I haven't.

not a blown headgasket ...but.........

im not so sure about these powerplates tho.... i could attribute my spun bearing to a lack of air .....caused by the power plate restricting air intake therfore causing an awful amount of unburnt fuel sitting in my intake and in my oil when i disassembled my motor.......... im taking mine out , im not saying everyone should do this ..... but i am

?!?!?Wes

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't thing the powerplate would cause that much fuel to get in your intake/oil....

John

The powerplate has more flow than your throttle body, so I don't think that caused the problem.

In my opinion it is NOT POSSIBLE for the power plate to cause this sort of problem. If it can pass enough air for a 9 sec car (which it has) then a 12 sec car won't even be a challange. I have not flow tested it but it seems to me that the plate can flow more air that the throttle body since it has more open area. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong. I would look your tune up being way to rich as the problem or possibly the chip or another ECM problem.
Mike Licht

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
The powerplate has more flow than your throttle body, so I don't think that caused the problem.
or so they say.......... im just interested in seeing the long term effects of having this plate in ....no flame intended....just interested

Originally posted by OKTurbo
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't thing the powerplate would cause that much fuel to get in your intake/oil....
a restriction of air would cause unburnt fuel.....like i said....im interested in the long term effects these plates will have on peoples' motors...there are a lot of people out there who dont post on these boards that dont believe in thes plates....im beggining to wonder myself now........

plus it was rod # 1 that failed....not the back two that the power plate supposedly adds more air to .......

Crap! Your motor blew because of detonation, oiling problems, etc.. The plate has nothing what so ever to do with the bottom end and on a 12 second car at that. If anything you would wash the rings which doesn't seem to be the case here and you would be smoking like a diesel! Need something different to point the finger at.

crap intercooler! my scanmaster recorded 0.0 retard and only 850mv ....850 is NOT extremely rich...... like i said ...restriction of air......

i posted a month ago asking if my oil pressure was good at 19psi...i believe even you said that was good! :D

Mike, your comments are right on! No way can the PP restrict air flow as it has more area than the throttle body opening.

It DOES even out flow to the cylinders as Jason's test rig at the Nationals showed to even the most skeptical critic.

His stock-block GN went 9.94 at 134 MPH to show actual,in-use performance. The GSCA project car picked up .2 a sec. and over 2 MPH by the addition of the plate.

Wes, you have a problem and need to find it before you do the same thing to your motor. Unburned fuel sitting in your intake is not a common problem, so even IF there were a restriction, that would not happen.

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Mike, your comments are right on! No way can the PP restrict air flow as it has more area than the throttle body opening.

It DOES even out flow to the cylinders as Jason's test rig at the Nationals showed to even the most skeptical critic.

His stock-block GN went 9.94 at 134 MPH to show actual,in-use performance. The GSCA project car picked up .2 a sec. and over 2 MPH by the addition of the plate.

Wes, you have a problem and need to find it before you do the same thing to your motor. Unburned fuel sitting in your intake is not a common problem, so even IF there were a restriction, that would not happen.

.2 tenths...and 2 mph....wow....a different driver could make more than that difference on a timeslip

i already have done that to my motor .... everything on my car is only 15000 miles old ...so i doubt anything is worn out....try something else like suggestions....not just ..."oh it couldnt possibly be the pp....that thing is just a gift from god" please...

Originally posted by Wes
crap intercooler! my scanmaster recorded 0.0 retard and only 850mv ....850 is NOT extremely rich...... like i said ...restriction of air......

i posted a month ago asking if my oil pressure was good at 19psi...i believe even you said that was good! :D
850 is rich! Fuel isn't going to just sit there on the plate. How would absence of air spin a rod bearing? The power plate restricts air to the back two unlike what you mentioned. If you had any problems with a rich condition you would know it because the car will smoke like a freight train. When I stuck my Max-Effort chip in backwards with 83's in the car it smoked worse than a turbo diesel tractor trying to pull a sled at The Buck! Something was wrong with the engine, not the plate. No flame but why only 12' at 107 MPH with a low 11 second combo like you have in your sig? And 19 PSI at idle hot is fine for oil pressure.

Originally posted by Wes

Without knowing ALL the details, I would assume that by unburnt fuel in the intake, you mean after shutdown. I will also assume that your problem came from fuel getting into the crankcase, or that is what you think. Sounds like a leakdown problem. I can't see fuel getting in during operation unless there is no fire in a cylinder. If you think that the PP causes fuel to get into oil then you really have a different problem and it was a coincidence. If you fear a leakdown problem, as I do, then a simple fix would be a switch in the car to kill the fuel pump before you shut down the ignition. Shut it down by fuel starvation. They do this in aircraft engines for this and other reasons.

Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

i never said anything about fuel sitting on the plate...that would be damn near impossible .... unburnt fuel due to the restriction of air would cause unburnt fuel blowing by the cylinder rings and onto the cam...and guess what...fuel on the cam...good or bad...could that cause a spun bearing ...i think so! .... your guess is as good as mine as to why the time is so high .... :D

just admit it guys....it is entirely possible....

I don't see how the fuel can sit in the manifold since it is injected directly into the ports.. The PP is way above the injectors and the ports so there would have to be a TON of reversion going on in order to blow the fuel backwards and up into the manifold.. I agree that 850's O2's are not that rich since I run 820's+ with no problem.. I think something else may have attributed to the engine failure but time will tell through the testing of others. But I'll give ya $20 for your PP...:D

No Flames, just my observation...
ks:confused:

Originally posted by Intercooler
My point exactly so how is the plate doing anything with your fueling?

it has everything to do with fueling .... air intake and fuel go hand in hand! you cant produce combustion without both!

Weird!

The power plate will even the air distribution, so that all six cylinders get closer to the same mixture. Cylinders 5 and 6, without the plate, are LEAN. The plate will NOT make them too rich, the O2 sensor reads average, and adjusts pulse width of all injectors. O2 numbers were high, sounds like too much fuel pressure, or stuck injector maybe. The plate won't affect overall mixture, that's the ECM in closed loop, and fuel pressure, in open loop. Fuel on the cam? A restriction in one cylinder might cause unburned fuel in that cylinder, but that's not how the pp works. I'm sure you had a problem, but if you try to blame the power plate for something it clearly can't cause, you'll miss the real cause.

aaahhhhh...... maybe that cylinder was making more hp due to the PP and that caused the bearing to go bad due to the extra load..... Naturally we will never know...

:D
ks

Re: Weird!

Originally posted by Ormand
The power plate will even the air distribution, so that all six cylinders get closer to the same mixture. Cylinders 5 and 6, without the plate, are LEAN. The plate will NOT make them too rich, the O2 sensor reads average, and adjusts pulse width of all injectors. O2 numbers were high, sounds like too much fuel pressure, or stuck injector maybe. The plate won't affect overall loop. Fuel on the cammixture, that's the ECM in closed loop, and fuel pressure, in open ? A restriction in one cylinder might cause unburned fuel in that cylinder, but that's not how the pp works. I'm sure you had a problem, but if you try to blame the power plate for something it clearly can't cause, you'll miss the real cause.

thanks... but ive read how the pp is supposed to work .....about a hundred times now

Still no flames.. but what do you mean fuel on the cam? Fuel in the oil is no biggie. If you have ever changed your oil after a long weekend of racing you will no doubt smell or even see the gas in the oil.. After 2 hard days of racing with Cam2 Purple the oil in our cars had a purple tint to it.. No biggie.. It's caused by blow by past the rings...

ks:confused: