Anyone popped a head gasket with the power plate?

Originally posted by Wes

.2 tenths...and 2 mph....wow....a different driver could make more than that difference on a timeslip

....that thing is just a gift from god" please...

Why did you even post this? You obviously know all there is about T-R's, so there is nothing we can add on a positive note from here.:(

Originally posted by Nick Micale

Why did you even post this? You obviously know all there is about T-R's, so there is nothing we can add on a positive note from here.:(

you really didnt have to go there..i wasnt telling anyone they were wrong or right...i was just pressing my point that this is possible given certain variables were in place..... chill out brother

Wes, I would have to concur with the group that it is probabally not the power plate. I dont mean to contradict you, but it would be a real shame if you removed it expecting the problem to be solved and the bearings spun again.

Just explore ALL your options, im not saying that the power plate isnt the problem, just sayin make GOOD AND SURE thats the problem before you run the engine again.

Evan

If you had a lot of fuel in the oil, oil pressure would not save you. Blaming a lack of air flow for this problem borders on the absurd but if you would rather blame something for the problem...I guess it is easier than finding a bad injector that washed down a cylinder and put mixed gas with the oil.

No matter what you decide to blame the problem on, I suggest you pay a lot of attention to the rest of the engine and make sure you have cured the problem by removing the plate. It could get rather expensive to repeat the process of rebuilding when you lose the engine again. I kinda doubt you will show up here and blame it on something else.

If there is unburned gas in your manifold, it got there thru the pcv valve which sucked up the fumes in the crankcase resulting from the wash down.

To answer the original question. Has anyone ever blown a head gasket with the power plate. I DID. But it's not becasue of the power plate. I blew a head gasket becasue I ran the car low on fuel. that's part of racing. The power plate is a excelent product and it will be on my car for a long time.

The questions that did raise in my mind was why did the #6 blow.
When I blew head gaskets in the past I always blew #6 ( with out the power plate ). With the power plate I still blew #6. Im not sure why that is. That was the only one that blew. I know that the car runs better and is building more power with the plate.

Originally posted by Chris McDade
To answer the original question. Has anyone ever blown a head gasket with the power plate. I DID. But it's not becasue of the power plate. I blew a head gasket becasue I ran the car low on fuel. that's part of racing. The power plate is a excelent product and it will be on my car for a long time.

The questions that did raise in my mind was why did the #6 blow.
When I blew head gaskets in the past I always blew #6 ( with out the power plate ). With the power plate I still blew #6. Im not sure why that is. That was the only one that blew. I know that the car runs better and is building more power with the plate.
Did you put on the PP immediately after replacing the HG's? Maybe it was "on it'sr way" already on #6, now it was a straw.

Chris, you are saying that you blew the gasket because you did not have enough fuel in the tank? I am wondering if anyone has popped one because of too much boost. I know I went form 2.5* of knock at 16 psi to 0* at 18psi.

Wes, .850mv's is not rich enough to wash the bearings. The power plate is a proven divice that works. Like everyone else said I would check everything else out before you spin the next set you put in.

I do find it funny it flows enough air for 9 second cars without washing their bearings. ;)

Scott,
The was nothing wrong with the head gasket before it blew. The car was running 10.80's with out the power plate. I installed the power plate and now the car is running 10.60's. The only other change I made when i installed the power plate was I tighened the coverter up a little. That's it. I blew the head gasket becasue I ran the car low on fuel. I guess even with the power plate the number 6 cylinder is still leaner than the rest of them that's way it blew and non of the other cylinders. Im not saying that the power plate is a bad product. The power plate works. And I will say it again I will continue to use it. Im just not sure why the number #6 blew and not one of the other cylinders. I guess it's still the leanest. Who know's????

Later

True, also possible that #6 got "chewed on" just a little b4 the PP install, making it the weakest link...

Chris,

Depending on how your headgasket blew in the past couple times, it could have damaged the deck surface and/or the head surface. If a few combustions blew out the hole before the fire when out in the cylinder, then a few throusandths of metal could have been removed. That would make it a weak spot for the gasket in the future because of less clamping. If you re-torqued after running the engine for while, that may help it out quite a bit, but it still won't be 100%.

If the deck and head were resurfaced and verified to be flat after the last failure, nevermind. :)

Wes...

You're making a big assumption that you're .850 mV on the O2 was with a healthy O2 sensor. It doesn't take too much race fuel to foul one of these and totally screw up your O2 reading.

A better indication would be your exhaust temps.

I still don't think the powerplate caused your problem.....

John

Originally posted by OKTurbo
Wes...

You're making a big assumption that you're .850 mV on the O2 was with a healthy O2 sensor. It doesn't take too much race fuel to foul one of these and totally screw up your O2 reading.

A better indication would be your exhaust temps.

I still don't think the powerplate caused your problem.....

John

My sentiments exactly. The accuracy fo an OEM O2 snesor is not a very wide margin as it is, whether it has had leaded gas run past it or not. that 850mv could easily be 950mv or 650mv and you not know it. EGT's is the only way to tell with any accuracy.

Intercooler:
That is crazy you mentioned the Buck. I was just their last saturday. We drove 450 miles each way and got their too late too pull. we were pretty pissed because by the lookes of things we would have waxed everybody in the diesel truck class. small world after all.

fred 86 gn,
My motor is a brand new motor. The head surface and deck surface are fresh. This new motor never blew the head gasket before this last time. The reason it blew is becasuse I ran the car low on fuel. Not because of the deck surfaces.

Steve,
Your right one of the cylinders had to blow. I guess #6 blew because it was the leanest.

See ya

Chris, What you're saying is the power plate is not a good enough product to make sure you have enough fuel in your car, right?

It must be garbage then. ;)

The power plate is GOOD , but not that GOOD..:D

Mine own fualt for not watching the fuel gage. As they say you live and you learn..

I bet it won't happen again...;)