Dates / Time , Rules and Classes for the Buick South Event.

blackshoebox

Staff member
Rules and Classes for the Buick South Event.

The program and rules for this years Buick Southern Nationals Event at BMP are as follows:

1.Outlaw 109-(Rules) 109 block, 1984-1987 Turbo charged Buick
GN ,T-Type or Regal . A minimum weight of 3400 lbs with driver.

2.TSM -Normal Rules, per TSM guidelines.

3.Staged Class-Stage Block, no tire size limit, qualify bump spot starts at 9.50. Bracket Style Race after qualifications.

4.Street Car Class-TSS Rules will apply, besides the following modifications:
1. Tires must be radials. Any radial tire is allowed. No e/t streets.
2. 3500 minimum weight with driver.
3. Only small shaft turbos will be permitted. The acceptable sizes are 34,44,49,51,52,53,54,60,61. In either the TA(stock appearing) or TE configuration. Turbo must have a 3 inch inlet.
4. Air conditioning must still be in the car, but does not have to be functional.
5. Any front mount, stock and stock stretched location Intercooler allowed, no liquid intercoolers.
6.Full exhaust is required. However, electrical cut outs are permitted
7. All participants will be required to fill up with 10 gallons of 93 octane, at an Amoco close to the track and hour before the race begins. Julio (Razor)and Alex (Blackshoebox) will be marking each car as they fill up with gas, to make sure everyone has “pump” fuel.
8. 32 car field maximum. If we have more entrée’s, the top 32 qualifiers get in.

These rules are up for some small adjustments, but after Friday they will become “law” for this race. For street car racers, please note that this class was designed to imitate real life conditions as if you ran into someone at a stop light, and decided to race your daily driven LC2 powered car.

Each class will have a payout, (payouts will be determined by participation , TSM. not included *ATT* sorry.) We encourage everyone to compete in a class, but also welcome people to come and just test & tune or set-up grudge racing.

Vendors attending :
ATR <http://atrperformance.com>
Champion Racing Heads www.championracingheads.com
Cotton Performance www.cottonsperformance.com
Poston Enterprise www.PostonBuick.com
Hartline Performance www.HartlinePerformance.com
Southeast Turbo Performance www.seturbo.com

More to be added......

If you have parts you want to sell for our GN's , T-Types or TTA's we incourage you to bring them. (If anyone plans on bring large amounts of used or new parts and/or if other members or vendors would like to support this event please feel free to contact Jesse at High-psi@cfl.rr.com )

March 7 , 2004
It will be $50.00 to race on Sunday and $10 to spectate.
Sunday gates open @ 9:00 am Event starts @ 10:00 am

March 6 , 2004
If you would like to T&T Saturday gates open at 9:00 am Test & Tune starts @ 10:00am til 2:00pm cost $10.00

Thank you for your patience and please remember ALL profits made from racing fees , spectator fees , raffle dollars and donations made at this event "Buick Southern Nationals" go to the winning racers of this event. Let the count down begin to race day!

:cool:

Wanted to add, no auxillary fuel systems allowed in the 93 class. I know there are some cars with tanks behind the rear seat running C16, those will not be allowed. I guess we can all agree on that.

And anything goes as to propane, nitrous, water, alcohol, acetone, hydrogen peroxide, etc, or combinations there off :D

Once the car gets tech'd at the gas station in the am, the gas cap will get sealed. Those wanting to add xylene, water, beer, to their gas, must do so before the 93 is put in. Once you put 10 gallons of 93, cap is shut. Period. If 10 gallons cant/dont fit, you cant compete in this class. So come with as low a tank as possible for weight savings ;)

Vehicle's must have current tags and registration/insurance. And remember long pants, helmet, and proper safety equipment for the ET.

Lets go and have some fun.

So anyone with aluminum heads is out as well as anyone with a F-body radiator? What about dual fans?

Lots of us have thumbwheel chips too and some have aftermarket headers or an external wastegate. What about Boost commander boost controllers?

Terry

Yup no aluminum heads.

My car doesn't fit the rules either.

Being a Buick guy to me means driving your car daily, not trying to fit some odd race class rules. ;)

I really thought it was going to be a street car race, no biggy plenty of cars can meet those rules I would think.

Hmmm, TTA's need 15" wheels too. :D

Originally posted by tlturbo
So anyone with aluminum heads is out as well as anyone with a F-body radiator? What about dual fans?

Lots of us have thumbwheel chips too and some have aftermarket headers or an external wastegate. What about Boost commander boost controllers?

Terry

Aluminum heads will eliminate you from this class. The thumb-wheel chips will be allowed along with the radiator.

Please keep in mind these rules are just a general base line. While I along with Julio are teching the cars, we will probably be making some judgement calls on certain things. Chances are, if whatever we are making a judgement call on does not directly effect performance to give you an unfair advantage over the other competitors, we will allow you to compete in the class.

What we don't want is stage cars and TSM/Outlaw style cars turning down the boost and running pump fuel and turning this class into something it is not intended to be.

I totally agree, BUT not allowing aluminum heads sure keeps a good number of street cars out.

I thought this was originally going to be a driver class, run what you brung as long as it was 93 octane and no slicks. A lot of restrictions sure got added in a hurry. Should have known it would end up too restrictive.

Guess I won't have to make the drive now.

Terry

I totally agree, BUT not allowing aluminum heads sure keeps a good number of street cars out.

I thought this was originally going to be a driver class, run what you brung as long as it was 93 octane and no slicks. A lot of restrictions sure got added in a hurry. Should have known it would end up too restrictive.

Terry

You can test and tune, or grudge race or take a shot @ outlaw. ;) :eek: The outlaw class, is more up for grabs then most people think, since a faster car, may not hook or have other issues. With a car like yours which is probably fairly consistent, you can run a number every single pass.

Typically, in my experiences with street cars, most have steel heads, because up until recently, there was durability issues with aluminum heads and heat.

Those are the breaks. I'm out too. Almost made, but I have a big shaft turbo. Maybe next time...

Have fun guys!

Everyone should have a class.

Are there enough cars with aluminum heads and big turbos to make up their own class?

Terry and Tino, do you run slicks or drag radials?

Salvage, what is your mod that is keeping you out? big turbo?

"turbo street modified"?:D

Originally posted by tino
Those are the breaks. I'm out too. Almost made, but I have a big shaft turbo. Maybe next time...

Have fun guys!

Why don't you just bring your car to test and tune?? I don't fit a class and I'll be there running my car.....

IF YOU HAVE A TURBO BUICK THAT IS RUNNING YOU SHOULD BRING IT AND RACE IT AT THIS EVENT!!!!!

If anything at least come to spectate.... It will be a good time:) :cool:

Terry

Just because YOUR car doesnt fit in any class does not mean you can't go and show some support for the other racers and the TR community.

These guys work hard to put this event together for us , so us Florida TR owners need to stick together and bring our cars , friends and some $$$ and show are support to the racers , vendors and the TR community. :)

Count me in regaurdless if I race or not. :D

Originally posted by 86brick
Why don't you just bring your car to test and tune?? I don't fit a class and I'll be there running my car.....

IF YOU HAVE A TURBO BUICK THAT IS RUNNING YOU SHOULD BRING IT AND RACE IT AT THIS EVENT!!!!!

If anything at least come to spectate.... It will be a good time:) :cool:

This about sums it up gentleman. If you want an event in your backyard, being there to support it, is the key.

Without your support, this event will fade and never grow.

Is the Stage class the only one that will be a bracket race? You could throw one more bracket race in and it would catch everyone that does not fit a class for whatever reason. I don't want to drive to Bardenton to test and tune.

Tino , Terry and salvageV6 you guys and who ever else does not fit in any of the classes come and see me the day of the race and if there are at least 6 of you I will make a heads up class for you guys right on the spot.

These rules are made to try and fit what is mostly out there in the daily drivers car, we know there will be some of you that will not fit in the class , but work with me and I'll make something happen for you ....I just need to know for sure how many of you will be there to race before I put it in the program.

FWIW
If I can not make a class for some of you please bring your cars anyway and show your support for the rest of the racers.

Jesse
:cool:

work with me and I'll make something happen for you

Thanks Jesse!

This event is about EVERYONE!:D

This is not just a test and tune.

It is a cruise night, party, test and tune, race, swap meet, car show, club meet and whatever else you want to call it.

How many TR's were there last year, 50? There is no reason why we shouldn't have twice that many this year!

You are right about the Buick community supporting one another and it will be a good time at Bradenton, but if I'm going to spend the $50 on Sun I at least want a chance to win some back. One bracket race class as a catch all would do it.

You know what, you guys are right. I objected in the previous post because I wanted to participate with my car. Now, I got left out because of the size of my turbo, which in my case makes no difference since I have 50 pound injectors. The bigger it is the less gas I have to feed it. The real reason I should be going is to spend time with my son, my car and support my good friends Roy Laz and the rest of you bozos. Count me in. I'll find a place. I don't want trailer my car so I won't run race gas to avoid pushing it and blowing a gasket. I'll be on pump gas and radials having fun.

Be good and I'll see you there!

Originally posted by tino
You know what, you guys are right. I objected in the previous post because I wanted to participate with my car. Now, I got left out because of the size of my turbo, which in my case makes no difference since I have 50 pound injectors. The bigger it is the less gas I have to feed it. The real reason I should be going is to spend time with my son, my car and support my good friends Roy Laz and the rest of you bozos. Count me in. I'll find a place. I don't want trailer my car so I won't run race gas to avoid pushing it and blowing a gasket. I'll be on pump gas and radials having fun.

Be good and I'll see you there!