Eastern front mount intercooler

434nova

What would be the horsepower rating on one of them. I am wondering if it is a restriction on my combo. It has 2.5 inch inlet/ outlet and piping. I am thinking of upgrading to something that has 3inch piping. I am looking to be about 650 rwhp with a 6766 turbo and e85 now, so I won't be using alky anymore.

What would be the horsepower rating on one of them. I am wondering if it is a restriction on my combo. It has 2.5 inch inlet/ outlet and piping. I am thinking of upgrading to something that has 3inch piping. I am looking to be about 650 rwhp with a 6766 turbo and e85 now, so I won't be using alky anymore.
Just subscribing. I have it on my car also.

Years ago I went 135+mph@3800+lbs in the 1/4 on a 64 turbo with an old Kenny bell front mount that had a 2.5 in piping.

Years ago I went 135+mph@3800+lbs in the 1/4 on a 64 turbo with an old Kenny bell front mount that had a 2.5 in piping.
Was it the first design with horizontal tubes or the second design with vertical tubes?

This isn't the worst flowing horizontal tubed intercooler about 750 cfm. The best flowing front mount intercoolers will have many more tubes for air to flow through and they will be shorter,flowing vertically. 1,500 cfm would be more ideal.

Was it the first design with horizontal tubes or the second design with vertical tubes?
Pretty sure it was vertical flow.i will check and if it isn't will let you know.it was a smaller front mount and didn't take up the entire front end.

Pretty sure it was vertical flow.i will check and if it isn't will let you know.it was a smaller front mount and didn't take up the entire front end.
Yes,that is the second design/vertical tube. It flows about 1,000 cfm. The reason he switched from the bigger horizontal tubed intercooler to the smaller vertical tube one was because it flowed so much more air. He realized that cooling ability was not the be all end all. If the core is restrictive the turbine works harder and therefore heats the air unnecessarily. Bison has assembled a vertical tubed intercooler that improves on this design and flows 1,500 cfm. The second K-B design doesn't cool as well as the first,but it doesn't create extra heat unnecessarily because it is less restrictive. Less exhaust pressure,better evacuation of the cylinders on the exhaust stroke,cleaner less contaminated intake of air.The second design didn't cool as well as the first,but it allowed the production of more power. This small Kenne-Bell intercooler flows significantly more air than the Eastern front mount,but the Easter flows more air than most of the front mounts do.

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/bob_dick.htm

Give or take 600 rwhp to run 9.90's. the CAS V4 has been 9.XX. So with more volume than the V4 I do not believe the ESP IC is a "problem" nor the 2.5" pipes. Just my .02. Would i buy and use one... yeah for a mild street car. Not a 9 sec build unless it was a budget build.

Give or take 600 rwhp to run 9.90's. the CAS V4 has been 9.XX. So with more volume than the V4 I do not believe the ESP IC is a "problem" nor the 2.5" pipes. Just my .02. Would i buy and use one... yeah for a mild street car. Not a 9 sec build unless it was a budget build.
This article mentions the 2 intercoolers with the least pressure drop,but never tells us what the numbers are. It doesn't show flow numbers. It does correctly mention that the CAS v4 has less pressure drop than some of the front mounts. The reason it flows so well is because there are more tubes to flow through and they are shorter which also helps flow. The information that is just as important as cooling ability is not given. CFM. We also don't know how fast the cars were that were used for the testing.

Yes,that is the second design/vertical tube. It flows about 1,000 cfm. The reason he switched from the bigger horizontal tubed intercooler to the smaller vertical tube one was because it flowed so much more air. He realized that cooling ability was not the be all end all. If the core is restrictive the turbine works harder and therefore heats the air unnecessarily. Bison has assembled a vertical tubed intercooler that improves on this design and flows 1,500 cfm. The second K-B design doesn't cool as well as the first,but it doesn't create extra heat unnecessarily because it is less restrictive. Less exhaust pressure,better evacuation of the cylinders on the exhaust stroke,cleaner less contaminated intake of air.The second design didn't cool as well as the first,but it allowed the production of more power. This small Kenne-Bell intercooler flows significantly more air than the Eastern front mount,but the Easter flows more air than most of the front mounts do.
Guess that explains why my old car felt so fast with that little ATR front mount I use to have w/2.5 pipes..lol I always questioned the size back then.

Guess that explains why my old car felt so fast with that little ATR front mount I use to have w/2.5 pipes..lol I always questioned the size back then.
It's an improvement over the Kenne-Bell because it has 16 more 6' long,3" wide tubes than the Kenne-Bell. Because of the greater amount of tubes,it flows more CFM and cools better than the Kenne-Bell.
Bison stated,in another post very recently,that the ATR is on the current record holder's car in the TAI class.

Absolutely Depends on the weight of the car.I have seen 700rwhp cars fall shy of a 9sec pass car was 3700+

It was a good intercooler.I didnt worry about the colder charge because I was running twin nozzle.

Has Bison started selling his intercooler with piping? If so is there any pricing on them?

I wouldn't really worry about the eastern if I was staying with alky but since I am looking to go e85 thats why I am thinking of upgrading to something better for my combo.

Has Bison started selling his intercooler with piping? If so is there any pricing on them?

I wouldn't really worry about the eastern if I was staying with alky but since I am looking to go e85 thats why I am thinking of upgrading to something better for my combo.
He hasn't brought it to market. It will be very expensive if he does.
The advantage of alcohol injection and E85 is that they both cool well. Because of this we can get away with an intercooler that doesn't cool as well as we might like. We would only give up some cooling ability if the intercooler we settled for flowed well. That is not the case with the Eastern.

On a side note, (I have no real data on this) .but on one of my cars going from a mark Jackson double core slic to a eastern performance front mount it felt like it lost a bit of umph, im going to switch back and verify.

The link I posted was just to give some intel compared to nothing. My ~600 rwhp number was based on information I learned about one of the local guys car years ago, Steve Pitts. Just trying to help.

I'm gonna rock with the eastern front mount and if I have issues I will probably end up with a rjc 475 intercooler.