Flat Black "Murdered-Out" Style???

U never know, I might be the one to throw it on, but I would think it would show chips and scratches bad.

not necessarily, the flat paints you see have actually been clearcoated. They dont seem like it but modern "murders" are usually achieved by mixing (really well) a flattening agent to the clear coat. It goes from Flat to Satin all the way to egg shell depending on the material in the flattener and the amount you use with the clear. If the cars above ever touched moisture, they would soak up and stain like most flat black rattle can cars. But nope these are definately clearcoated.

Really? Then I guess my brother got seriously ripped off with his $4000 paint job! :biggrin:

If it can be done to where it would act like normal paint and not scratch easily then it would look great. If I had that kind of money laying around I'd do it in a heartbeat.

You mean like my ride?

Danscarchristmas2008021.jpg

Its DP90 primer and no its not a long term solution, its now fading after roughly 5 years.

:biggrin:

I actually considered going satin black. I think it would look absolutely bad ass. Perhaps the resident Photoshop expert could chop some pics of mine in satin to get an idea of what it would look like.

God I love your car! Tho I still want to see it an inch lower with the wheels out a little further to fill in the flares :biggrin:

And a flat black paint job isn't "murdered out". Red Barron's GN is proper, minus the polished wheel lips of course

How times change. I guess after I get mine into black primer I will be cool.:biggrin:

Actually, I think a flat black GN with glossy headlight bezels and grill would look sharp.

Really? Then I guess my brother got seriously ripped off with his $4000 paint job! :biggrin:

If it can be done to where it would act like normal paint and not scratch easily then it would look great. If I had that kind of money laying around I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Well thats the thing. It would scratch just as easily as a regular Basecoat / Clearcoat car would. These are definately flat black. Although Kirker brand paints do sell a Hot Rod Black satin paint, it still needs to be clear coated. I think there may be some confusion to some of the other members that i want to clarify for. a Basecoat is laid down just as normal, but the clearcoat (which is still protective) is mixed with a flattening or dulling agent to cause the flat look. THE ONE problem with all of this is, if you do end up getting a bad scratch, then wetsanding and buffing it out will not work because it will cause gloss to appear. Once i get this house, i will have my garage to play around in and I will consider trying this on the Buick. I have always wanted Candy Plum sides and a flat black roof , hood, and trunk.

Here's my favorite...a guy I know is almost done with this. 600hp LSx + 2050lbs w/driver = fun:D

CRW_3400.jpg

CRW_3075copy.jpg

070408155321-1.jpg

turdotop.jpg

fc6.jpg

CRW_3380.jpg

CRW_3107copy.jpg

Other than that muffler hanging off the back I like it, I need to see a GN in this matt black

God I love your car! Tho I still want to see it an inch lower with the wheels out a little further to fill in the flares :biggrin:

And a flat black paint job isn't "murdered out". Red Barron's GN is proper, minus the polished wheel lips of course
Thanks a lot Antagon! :D

Yea, I would like to see it lowered an inch, too. But living in Louisiana, that's a no-go. I already had to add some air bags to the rear to stop the rubbing on big bumps. :eek:

I almost did the wheel lips in black, too. But I wouldn't resist the polished lip. :D

Here's my favorite...a guy I know is almost done with this. 600hp LSx + 2050lbs w/driver = fun:D

CRW_3400.jpg

CRW_3075copy.jpg

070408155321-1.jpg

turdotop.jpg

fc6.jpg

CRW_3380.jpg

CRW_3107copy.jpg
I like that. :cool: There is a local guy who put a LS3 in a RX7 recently. I haven't seen the car yet but they say it's pretty bad ass.

I recently painted my GN and when it was primered flat black I really liked the look. I had never seen any of the "murdered cars" or I might have put it back together like that. Here are some of the pics I put in the restoration thread.
It sure would have cut the cost to finish the car.

Attachments

• flat1.jpg
    flat1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 3,887
  • flat2.jpg
    flat2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 4,020
  • flat3.jpg
    flat3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3,304
  • flat4.jpg
    flat4.jpg