Flat Black "Murdered-Out" Style???

Here's my favorite...a guy I know is almost done with this. 600hp LSx + 2050lbs w/driver = fun:D

fc6.jpg

the landau bar is a nice touch, i always wanted a hearse

I recently painted my GN and when it was primered flat black I really liked the look. I had never seen any of the "murdered cars" or I might have put it back together like that. Here are some of the pics I put in the restoration thread.
It sure would have cut the cost to finish the car.

Im not going to lie. I really like that look. Whats weird is without the clearcoat, there is actually more depth to the color, shadows, and the lines are really sharp. I see more contrasts, kinda like a dark pearl. Your car actually looks like it should be driven like a mad man.

Actually If Ghost Rider never had a bike, he would be driving this car.....and parts of his car on fire would be sick.

I asked about getting my gn shot with the flat scheme but the painter said it would actually cost more than a standard 2 stage:eek:

I'm painting my 85 t type flat black with dark tint now I'm looking for a nice looking set of black rims to put on it i was thinking about painting th bumpers flat black to like the rest of the car:rolleyes:

How could it cost more then a two stage paint job? No paint at about 400 a gallon no clear, no block sanding and buffing out the gloss?
Had I stopped after the primer and it looked really good I would have saved about 1500 bucks in materials and labor

the old school satin was, roofing primer.. like for buldings and stuff. it went on in one stage, super thick, like a high build primer, it filled all the little dings and dents. you would block sand it before the second coat. lasts about 5 years but super cheap.

The newer stuff is money! at the last good guys show, i saw a purple satin, with a bad ass gold pearl in it. found out he could have had it plastered with 50's from bumper to bumper and it woulda cost less.

How could it cost more then a two stage paint job? No paint at about 400 a gallon no clear, no block sanding and buffing out the gloss?
Had I stopped after the primer and it looked really good I would have saved about 1500 bucks in materials and labor

Here is a link to hot rod flatz paint I’ve seen it on several cars and its not cheap not 400 a gal but at $150 a gal for the color base and $150 a gal for clear you are still going to spend some cash getting it laid down. A good flat paint job is not just black primer it is base coat clear coat just like you lay down on a gloss paint job. Hot rod flatz is the cheap way to go if you go with house of color or one of the other big $$$ paints you can double the cost easily.
Hot Rod Flatz

What is to prevent you from laying down a coat of clear over the flat black primer? My primer looked very nice up close with no clear at all.
The Mazda pictured above looks like primer and doesn't appear to have a lot of time spent on the application. I think it adds to the sleeper look if it's less then perfect. As long as you back it up with lenty of HP.

You have to understand that Flat black primer is just a simple way of getting that look and had been since back in the good ole' days. Primer in itself has no UV protection and without any sealer underneath, the primer will just soak and turn dark. Flat "Satin" cars are clearcoated these days. Go to the link above and go check out the corvette at the bottom of the page, it is actually clearcoated. These are hard paints to shoot because you can end up with zebra stripes if you just "rattle can" it on. It does add character but for what these show cars do is exhibit old school flavor with new school technology. If someone is going to pay 3000 bucks for a flat job, well it better be clear coated.

comin out of the Honda game, i've had my share of "flat" paint jobs lol. (yes, rattle can in my driveway). i never could get a perfect flat black without streaks showin, but put down a sick flat white on my last Honda. i def. plan to get the we4 done for sure (but professionally, of course ;) )

My issue with satin black is how would you get a surface scratch out of the clear?

good point, I know there are techniques to getting the scratch out and not buffing to a shiny polish, but i could assume its a pain in the a&& .i would think this is the biggest problem for the satins.