help picking a new turbo

jsmith

Hey guys, I have a realitively stock T, The usual fuel system upgrades, big mouth kit, 36# injectors, adjustable regulator, doing valve springs now, new 3 inch downpipe and 3 inch dual exhaust, new poly mounts, and maf and translator, and stock converter. Want to upgrade the turbo get it all dialed in and then throw the alky at it. I know its old school but have been leaning towards the ta49(proven performance) and seems to be a good fit for my setup. during my search I have come across a gt3255, would this be a good alternative to the 49, from what I have been able to gather by searching the site I think it would, but would like to see what alll the experts think. will my converter work or would I hve to replace it, are my injectors big enough?. Wht other things would I need to consider to make the most of this turbo. Thanks for the help Jeff

That would be a fine turbo for you. I have a very similar setup to yours and I was going to get that same turbo but the funds fell through.

we ran a 44 for a gazillion years in my fleet of Buicks ... worked great .. no brainer :cool:

I have had good luck with the 32. I think you can't go wrong with a 32,44, or 49.

I have been kicking around a turbo upgrade for long time too. I really want something that I can use with the stock converter for 99% street duty.
My ideal turbo is one that is killer with the stock stall and the turbo shield fits.
My research comes out like this:

PRO:Works excellent with stock converter
CONS: Cant use the stock turbo cover

44/49
PRO:proven
CON:May be a bit laggy with the precision .63 housing

Is it possible to get a 44/49 these days with the Garret Exhaust Housing, or
are the housings osolete/have to find used?????

6131E
PRO: Newer Design Turbo, more HP than 44/49, Turbo Cover Works
CON:Stock Stall is not really a good match

Now there are new "boosted" turbos out that I know nothing about.

Aside from the boosted turbos, I think currently my ideal turbo would be a
49 with a garret housing. But im not sure on the housing availability.

buy my turbo jeff!!!
j/k

the stock turbo cover will fit with some trimming.
hell, the stock cover fits over my new gt6776bb even with the proper trimming.

The TA 49 would work well, but it seems to like a little more stall than the stock converter. It's more expensive, but I would go with a GT6131 Ball Bearing. It spools like crazy and makes awsome power. I couldn't be happier with mine :biggrin: You should have enough injector for your combination. Put the turbo and Alky on, turn up the boost and hold on :D :biggrin:

So what is the real difference between a 44, 49 or the 3255. I've been on the precision site and read the charts, but what do the differences mean on the car, on the street or strip? Thanks jeff

I think performancewise, they are pretty close. I am not sure you would notice much. The 32 supposedly spools faster. I am happy with my 32. But I have a 10" 2800 stall in it. It spools insanely fast. It spooled good with the stock TC too.