Here I go again....PCV

Ya but theres so many i don't know which one to choose from! Which one do you suggest?

Stop sucking that oil

I haven't yet experienced this prob, but as a mechanic i'd have to say that pcv valves are rated for a certain vacuum and if your not pulling that kind of vacuum because of a cam change or anything else the pcv may act weird, you may find yourself having to experiment with some differant types, or you may have try some other vendors of that same pcv valve ( remember nothings made in the USA anymore) so you might be getting a bad pcv as suggested by others.
I once changed a pcv valve and gave the car a oil change and a few other things and the next day the lady called and said the oil light came on and found no oil in the engine and implied i didn't put oil in the car. ( i had 5 empty cans though) I'm positive the pcv was bad ( a fram unit) A month later bought another fram pcv and it fell apart in my hands, so yes they do make bad ones. Good luck
( shot in the dark?)

check valves... I seem to remember seeing some valve cover sized check valves, maybe on Jegs or Summit, to be used to limit the vacuum that could be pulled on a race engine with a crankcase evac pump. These would let air into the engine at the vacuum set point. Not quite what we want of course, but flip it over and it would be. Not cheap as I recall. AN sounds about right, so maybe that is what you found norbs?

A buddy also mentioned some big check valves that came from GM on some cars, I want to say in exhaust service, maybe part of an air injection system? This was probably a late 70's, early 80's thing.

John

norbs, I see what you mean. (BU) style mabye?
Just curious, how much vacuum are you pulling at idle?

Vegav6, I think the problem stems more from too much vacuum.

Well, just got back from Cottons shop to pick up my car.

In a few miles, both breathers were soaked with oil and headers were smoking a nice cloud of toxic fumes.

Car has new Champion Al heads, Champion's un-baffled valve covers, Champion ported intake with no EGR.

I am a little cornfused as to how the designer of these valve covers expected to keep oil from spraying out the top. Brand new build up.....few miles of driving....oil soaked top end. I will have to get a fire safty kit ready for action. Oil does burn, right Jack? :biggrin: I thought my intake was leaking out the oil. My car dropped 1qt of oil in under 100miles. I guess it came out the breathers? Maybe I have other issues?? Intake was replaced yesterday for other reasons.

My mechanic has nothing to do with this problem. The designer of the valve covers needs to listen to complaints and do something about it. My first set of Al covers had a seriously un-flat mating surface for the gaskets. Almost 1/2" of metal missing in one corner. Needs to be baffled also, or provide a better breather system.

Tom, you out there??

turbo2nr said:
Well, just got back from Cottons shop to pick up my car.

In a few miles, both breathers were soaked with oil and headers were smoking a nice cloud of toxic fumes.

Car has new Champion Al heads, Champion's un-baffled valve covers, Champion ported intake with no EGR.

I am a little cornfused as to how the designer of these valve covers expected to keep oil from spraying out the top. Brand new build up.....few miles of driving....oil soaked top end. I will have to get a fire safty kit ready for action. Oil does burn, right Jack? :biggrin: I thought my intake was leaking out the oil. My car dropped 1qt of oil in under 100miles. I guess it came out the breathers? Maybe I have other issues?? Intake was replaced yesterday for other reasons.

My mechanic has nothing to do with this problem. The designer of the valve covers needs to listen to complaints and do something about it. My first set of Al covers had a seriously un-flat mating surface for the gaskets. Almost 1/2" of metal missing in one corner. Needs to be baffled also, or provide a better breather system.

Tom, you out there??

Holy Crap! Its not the valve covers. You either got some serious blowby or you pcv is messed up.
I would pull pcv and check how good its sealing. They dont seal 100%. should seal at least 90%.
Inline check valves are comon for our car to pick up the slack from the pcv.

OK here is a nice little temporay fix for your breather problem. Buy the edelbrock square breathers open them up and leave the sponge in the bottom, then buy a normal wash sponge from walmart and cut a small square piece out and force it into the breather then put the cap back. Thie will reduce your breather leakage by 90% to compared to what you have. But this will not solve the pcv valve oil problem.

On my car i removed the pcv valve from the intake plugged the hole , and placed it into the factory oil fill tube with another big grommet, so it sits up higher than in the valve cover. I have no a 12 an check valve on the drivers valve cover, but need to put the other end into some kind of catch can still. My car pulls 16" of vacuum at idle. I don't have my pcv data logging set up yet as i have no crank pulley on it as i am converting over to crank trigger.

So stay tuned.

Rick87GN said:
Holy Crap! Its not the valve covers. You either got some serious blowby or you pcv is messed up.
I would pull pcv and check how good its sealing. They dont seal 100%. should seal at least 90%.
Inline check valves are comon for our car to pick up the slack from the pcv.

It's a shiny new PCV. My car was just built by the pros. I will check the PCV for sealing. Yeah, my car has problems.... :confused:

Bottom end just hit 20,000 original miles. I kinda doubt I have ring sealing issues. Motor has never smoked, been detonated, or abused. Only had a handful of trips down the 1320'.

Even the gm pcv valves leak pretty good, get a check valve in there first!

Well, you guys were 100% dead on.

My brand new shiny PCV (AC/Delco) is a POS!! My original one was perfect. Who pulled that out???

Not me.

Well, I know what's wrong with mine. Just a micky-mouse part gone bad. I can blow right thru it.

Check valve is on it's way! :)

Relax there, it will help but its not a cure all! Its still going to push oil out of the breathers but alot less

For those who have tackled this problem........

How long did it take to run all the oil out of the car and have it stop smoking? I don't get the car out much....just installed alky this weekend and need to know how long the smoke might remain.

Thanks,

EW

NHRA Super Gas said:
How long did it take to run all the oil out of the car and have it stop smoking? I don't get the car out much....just installed alky this weekend and need to know how long the smoke might remain.

Thanks,

EW

Should clear right up. Specialy if you running meth.

Super Gas, did you install that check valve? Have you figured out if it has helped your issues?

Pronto said:
Super Gas, did you install that check valve? Have you figured out if it has helped your issues?

I have the Pete Tomka check valve, and have for a while. I can't say if it's helping..........been running PCV free for a couple hundred miles just to eliminate the variable.......still smoking so I'm back to turbo seal :rolleyes: