Here I go again....PCV

PCV Problem

I have owned a GN for 8 months now and this has been a problem from day 1, it is kind of nice to know that this problem is not unique to my car and all of the local guys I have spoke to have had no idea how to help this situation. I purchased a Kirban in line check valve and it has helped, however has not eliminated the problem. Are the clear plastic in line check valves better than Kirbans? It is a real shame when you cannot even drive a 300 mile round trip and lose more than 1 quart of oil. Not to mention that oil in the intake kills your octane level. Does any know if there is more that you can do besides the check valve? Do I need to pull the engine and perform another overhaul? Why is this a problem for some and no issue for others? Any and all sugestions greatly appreciated.

I must say the TA valve covers are awsome at keeping the breathers clean, and no oil dripping on the headers. They have the breathers aimed straight up, and sell baffled rubber gromets with foam in the breather necks. No oil in over 1500 miles!! That and the one way all metal check valve from Cotton has kept me clean and dry. :)

Dreamcar86 said:
I have owned a GN for 8 months now and this has been a problem from day 1, it is kind of nice to know that this problem is not unique to my car and all of the local guys I have spoke to have had no idea how to help this situation. I purchased a Kirban in line check valve and it has helped, however has not eliminated the problem. Are the clear plastic in line check valves better than Kirbans? It is a real shame when you cannot even drive a 300 mile round trip and lose more than 1 quart of oil. Not to mention that oil in the intake kills your octane level. Does any know if there is more that you can do besides the check valve? Do I need to pull the engine and perform another overhaul? Why is this a problem for some and no issue for others? Any and all sugestions greatly appreciated.

The right intake gasket makes all the difference. I think that is the main problem with most TR's sucking oil through pcv. One thing I would do is pull the pcv and gromet. Shine a flashlight down in the whole. You should not be able to see the vally of the motor. The proper gasket is a one piece unit that goes across the entire vally. That is what is suppose to keeps the oil from getting in the pcv.

You could also be loosing oil through the turbo seals and making you think its coming from the pcv via smoke out the pipes. Loosing that much oil, I would think you would see it on the plugs. (oil fouled)

NHRA< how has this worked out?

http://www.psmbuick.com/products_spcvv.asp

A simple check-valve would (in concept) work great, but would they allow for enough air flow during normal driving conditions to get all the vapor into the intake plenum to be burned? Isn't the PCV itself a check-valve? I have one on my fish tank, it keeps air flowing in and water from getting to the air pump. I think its the same concept. We have beaten this thread to the death, but the fact of the matter is, there is no single solution or no single cause.

Hmm, I'm thinking we're figuring out why the rear main seals go bad so quickly, when we are under boost the crankcase is becoming over pressurized/

I've moved the PCV valve to an elbow in the side of the oil filler neck. The old valve is still in the intake, with a short piece of hose and a 3/8" bolt to plug things up. It's still early, but the amount of oil in the catch bottle is down dramatically. :biggrin:

The PS valve cover has a breather, so I don't think there's any danger of pressurizing the crankcase. This is assuming the check valve keeps the intake charge where it should be.

Any thoughts from the assembled crowd?

Why couldn't the engine just use the catch can in the PCV line? I have one on my 98 Formula and I get little to no oil in the intake after adding it. I used an Air/water seperator for an air compressor. Everything to do it costed $25 dollars @ home depot. Sure, you could buy a nice looking catch can but, I'm about function, not style. I plan to run one on my V6 when I put it in my Firebird.

Was there ever any progress with this problem. I'm tired of emptying the oil seperator and would like a permanent fix.

Was there ever any progress with this problem. I'm tired of emptying the oil seperator and would like a permanent fix.
I ended up putting in a new set of valve seals with a better design retaining clip on both intake and exhaust. This definately helped 95% (along with the trap door breather I already had mentioned) but I did ocasionally still notice a hint of blue. I sold this vehicle in 07, so I don't know if it's still a problem.
Hope this helps, Clem

For those who had the problem of oil being sucked up through the PCV and into the intake, did anyone have luck by punching a hole into the gasket beneath the PCV? And if you did this, what did you use? Just a screw driver or what. Is there any concern of the piece from the hole falling some where and doing damage?? Also, for those who run the air compressor oil seperator, how much oil are you collecting in there after a night on the town 20-30 miles???

Were these cars designed to suck the oil into the intake to burn off the contaminants????