Maybe this guy can take his new Cobra back to the dealer for a refund?

"i've been smoked by quiet mustanges that you'd have thought ran 13's but ran 10's."

Matt, it's usually the total opposite with me... I'll run into a loud sounding mustang that sounds like a 10 second beast, but the stang ends up being a 13 second car! I guess u have to watch out for the quiet stangs with the little wine or wistle much like the TRs... I guess like Forest Gump once said "Life is like a box of chocolates u never know what your gonna get." LOL;)

Well I spent 22k on a car that runs mid 13s dead stock and will run circles around a TR on a roadcourse. I bought a sports car, not a muscle car. I freely admit that dollar for dollar a TR will run the 1/4 mile faster than my Cobra. But my cobra performs much better as an overall performance car.

I made the threatened remark because that is the only reason I could think of for TR owners to rip on mustangs all the time. Go to the Corral and look for a post that trashes GN's, F-bodies, etc....you won't find one.

to Black shoe box

you forgot the part , Are not GNs considerably heavier than a same year stang ?????? This truly is another plus for a superior vehicle Let the facts out thanks My GN s times are all with a soft (cheap) drag radial from BG customs

"Go to the Corral and look for a post that trashes GN's, F-bodies, etc....you won't find one."

You are kidding right, lmfao :D Not saying that your are S#$t talker or anything, but mustang owners are notorious for being "big headed" about a car that is rather common and has a aftermarket that is only comparable to all the cars aftermarkets consider in your statement above. And u paid 22.000 for a new cobra?? Where did u get that deal, they sticker down hear for 28,000 ++ at the cheapest. And please no road course comments, i don't want to have to pull out the skid test on the GNX which is probably 500 pds heavyer and handles just as good. ;) Who road races on the streets anyway, not me for damn sure. Doing a 100 or so, str8 is fun enough for me.:eek: Also, did your 99 run mid 13's after ford, fixed the hsp problem the cobra's had that year or before??:rolleyes:

Shoebox

No, I did not buy my Cobra new

As I stated before, go to the Corral and look for a post that trashes GN's, F-bodies, etc....you won't find one much unlike here

My car ran mid 13s after ford fixed the hp problem

Why shouldn't I bring up handling? How about braking? They are performance aspects of the car aren't they? My car will absolutely destroy a GN (including GNX) on a road course. However, any GN with a chip and filter will destroy my car on the drag strip.

I like them both. A TR was started from a family sedan (regal), not a sports car (what mustangs, f-bodies, etc. are), which is why you see TRs at DRAGWAYS, not SPEEDWAYS. The mustang is definitely king of the aftermarket, the Pro 5.0 league sealed that fate. So there will be some heavy hitter mustangs on the road just like any other make. But lets use a little common sense here guys, we're talking about CARS, they're metal and thats pretty much it.
But if you poeple still want to see who can piss farther than the rest, go right ahead. I'm enjoying it.:D

I don't think anybody bought a TR to go road course racing, so I don't see your point:confused: That would be like u telling a guy that owns a Honda Civic that your Cobra will destroy it in the quarter... The Honda guy would most likely say I know it will cause I drive an econo car not a drag car... Get my point? The Honda guy would go on to say that he'll get much better gas mileage, and u would probably say my Cobra wasn't designed to get gas mileage like a econo car... Understand??? It's apples and oranges. The bottom line is the TRs were designed for drag racing not for road racing and overall performance like your Cobra.

Re: Re: Get real pal

You might be surprised to see how streetable a 9- or even 8- second vehicle can be. They may not be common, but the do exist. [/B]

Yes, but how many can say they have somewhat the gas mileage (I said somewhat) of a V6. Also, how about.... Uhm..... AC! I mean, well me and shoebox live under the pounding Florida sun, and I imagine it's pretty much the same in Georgia, but what happens when you need to take your G/F or wife to the movies on friday nights when its 95* outside. (Don't say you'll take HER car).
Later.

Geez, I leave here for less than 24 hours and the crap really hits the fan. I never intended to stir up this hornets' nest with a simple post about a street race.

I was just happy because my car after countless tuning issues is finally starting to make some progress. I raced a Mustang guy and won. Big deal!! I was happy that I beat him, because I consider a Cobra to be worthy competition. He just as easily might have been packing a 150 shot of NOS and blown my lightly modded GN into the weeds. I would have been just as happy to beat a Z28 or a Porsche as I was to beat a Mustang. I love my Buick, but after all these are just cars we're talking about.

I see posts like this degenerate into a Johnson waving match, and I remember why I don't hang out with "car guys" much, and usually go my own way. I have no time for the petty fighting, false bravado, and arrogance. There is plenty of all three to be found in both the GM and Ford camps. And given the absolute sh*t that GM has been turning out these days, I've been feeling mighty humble lately.

Ben
'87 GN

Originally posted by 86brick
I don't think anybody bought a TR to go road course racing, so I don't see your point:confused: That would be like u telling a guy that owns a Honda Civic that your Cobra will destroy it in the quarter... The Honda guy would most likely say I know it will cause I drive an econo car not a drag car... Get my point? The Honda guy would go on to say that he'll get much better gas mileage, and u would probably say my Cobra wasn't designed to get gas mileage like a econo car... Understand??? It's apples and oranges. The bottom line is the TRs were designed for drag racing not for road racing and overall performance like your Cobra.

That is exactly my point! :) I didn't understand why everyone was pissing on Cobras when they were never intended to be drag cars.

I've heard of some 8 second street driven TRs, so what's your point:confused:

My point was the Mustangs can be made to go fast, too.

My point was that turbo Regals are not the only cars in existence that can be made to go fast.

My point was to show blackshoebox that he was dead wrong when he said "Mustangs can't win".

My point was not to make this into a Mustang vs. Regal argument.

IMHO the mustang isn't any better when your talking about being fast and street driven!!!

I never said it was. All I said was that there are street-driven Mustangs running as good as the low 8s. And that, whether it's a Mustang, F-body, Supra or turbo Regal is impressive.

Originally posted by blackshoebox

Looked at the page, and thats a pretty impressive car. As for it being daily driven that is to up for debate.

I personally know the owner of that car. His name is Jim Riskovsky and he also owns the shop Turbo Connection, which that web page is about.

I've ridden in that car. Jim took me for a ride, stopped at a fast food joint through the drive-through, went around town and then for a part-throttle blast on the side streets.

It was his company car and he used it to run errands between Edwardsville (where his shop is) and St. Louis often.

Relibility wise, i would put my money on a turbo buick rather then a turbo v-8

He made it into the 9s on the stock block. But you'll be happy to know that the stock block eventually broke. So Jim installed an SVO A4 block which is a stonger 302 with 4-bolt mains.

that car is probably a nightmare to tune since it was not a turbo car from the factory

I don't see how a factory-installed turbo vs. a non-factory-installed turbo could be so different in tuning. Tuning involves the same things - fuel, timing and boost. In fact, timing may be easier to tune on the Mustang since it has a distributor.

still impressive though.:D As for the 8 second mustang thing, i think we can agree it exist, but in a state that is more like a trailor car that sees the street once in a while and not a daily driver just because race parts wear worse under the grind of street use.

That's all I said in the first place - that they exist.

THe 1987 mustang didn't come near high 13's if im not mistaken.

You're mistaken. The low-optioned LX trunks did come near the high 13s - if you consider low, low 14s "near" high 13s.

Anyway, who wants to compare mustangs to buicks, there is no comparison :D

1. v6 with more power then a v8, and better gas milliage.
2. bolt-on performance, buicks win hands down
3. back seat, Mustangs should be two seaters if u ask me.
4. Vintage limit edition car vs. everybody and there mother has a mustang
5. etc...

1. Not necessarily. My Mustang got over 25mpg on the highway with some mods (gears, exhaust and pulleys). And ran high 13s on street tires with those mods. Bone stock it only went 14s, but the mileage was about the same. I've never gotten better than 24mpg in my GN on the highway.

And city driving my Mustang currently gets around 15mpg. And that's with more mods than I had when I ran high 13s. Now I've got a cam, ported heads, intake, headers. My GN got about the same until I put in the shift kit. Now it holds it in gear longer, and that affects city driving mileage. It gets around 12mpg city.

2. Only if you exclude nitrous.

3. I disagee. 2-seaters are for sports cars. The Mustang isn't a sports car.

4. Yes, there are a few of them. But a well-done, clean Fox Mustang catches my eye just as easily as a nice GN does.

Originally posted by Toddzilla
OMG...I left this board 3 years ago to this same damn argument over and over again. The thing that I think is funny is the fact that GN owners are CONSTANTLY talking **** about mustangs. Why do TR guys feel so threatened by mustangs that they have to rip on them all the time? Hell, I could have bought a TR instead of my cobra, but the cobra is a much much much nicer all around car.

Not all of them do. It's just a few guys who are insecure about themselves.

Bolt on performance I think we all know that TRs are better unless your spraying a real big shot which could make u go KABOOM

Of course going KABOOM with increased boost from a turbo is just as likely. But that's why we have head gaskets.

Originally posted by Reggie
Whadya mean gn's are beter bolt on cars? I could "bolt on" a turbo and be king of the streets!

He means for the money. With a $25 chip, some race gas, and adjustable wastegate rod to bump up the boost, you can run low 13s, maybe even 12s in a GN with sticky tires.

Getting a 5.0 Mustang into the 12s is a little more expensive, but it can be done for under $1000.

"GN's rule, Crapstangs suck!"

Not really but, its all a matter of preference. Guess im a buick faithful and some guys on here are mustang faithfuls. WE all have a common goal, to go fast. So if your doing that, your doing something right, with whatever your driving.:D

And some of us have both! ;)

"Go to the Corral and look for a post that trashes GN's, F-bodies, etc....you won't find one."

You are kidding right, lmfao :D Not saying that your are S#$t talker or anything, but mustang owners are notorious for being "big headed" about a car that is rather common and has a aftermarket that is only comparable to all the cars aftermarkets consider in your statement above.

No, he's not kidding. The only bashing you'll see on the corral is on ricers. And they deserve it.

True, there are a few Mustang owners who give the rest of us a bad image. Even when I'm in my Mustang, every now and then some punk will act like a dork. I was at a 4-way stop on a two-lane highway. The cross road was a two lane. There was a Fox GT to my right. So I let him go. I went left following him (I was going that way anyway). He slowed way down and then punched it. :rolleyes: I didn't give chase. I had somewhere to go.

Mustangs are excellent performance cars for the price. So they end up in the hands of young buyers. Young guys are more likely to act obnoxious behind the wheel. That's why Mustang owners get a bad rap - because of these young jokers. Back in the late '80s and early '90s, I had seen a couple of cases of young guys with GNs acting the same way. One was tailgating me in my Mustang trying to start something. Another claimed he had a GN and did a fair amount of ****-talking and Mustang bashing.

Another example: Look at ricers. What's the average ricer's age? I don't know, but I'm guessing the vast majority of ricers are highschool ages or early 20s.

It's not the car, but the maturity level of the owner.

Originally posted by Turbojorge

Yes, but how many can say they have somewhat the gas mileage (I said somewhat) of a V6. Also, how about.... Uhm..... AC! I mean, well me and shoebox live under the pounding Florida sun, and I imagine it's pretty much the same in Georgia, but what happens when you need to take your G/F or wife to the movies on friday nights when its 95* outside. (Don't say you'll take HER car).

Who cares? When a guy builds a 9-second or faster car, I don't think fuel mileage is too much of a concern.

The 9-second Mustang that I posted a link to has AC. It has everything - power steering, power brakes, etc... You can even see the AC in the hood pic.

Originally posted by lyonsd

You are kidding right, lmfao Not saying that your are S#$t talker or anything, but mustang owners are notorious for being "big headed"

No, he's not kidding. The only bashing you'll see on the corral is on ricers. And they deserve it.

I took him up on that challenge. Searched the Corral archives. Know what? He's right. They seem to have a lot of respect for our cars - we should probably show the same respect here. Or at least don't lump the idiots you encounter on the street with the folks on the 'Net.

I've owned both cars (at the same time briefly). My Mustang was supercharged and had the typical bolt-ons. After the first drive in the GN, I knew the 5.0s days were numbered. In my experience the GN has responded better to mods, and is easier to live with when I decide to take it to work or run errands. I do miss the ragtop, though.

Debating which one would ultimately be faster or more reliable given x-millions of dollars in mods is silly. I think the majority of both enthusiasts (Mustang and GN) are content (and can afford) with 12-second cars. There are people at both ends of the spectrum (faster and slower), but my observations are that most are content in that range. With that as the goal, it's pretty tough to beat the GN from a cost-to-get-there perspective. But, some folks would rather do it in a "Musclecar", others would rather do it in a "Pony car". To each his own....

Jim

There is a guy in the TTA list that owns 2 TTAs and a 5.0 Mustang running a Cartech Turbo Kit with a 60-1 Turbo on it. I think he said he is up to 8K total including the car.

He is running on a stock bottom end and actually sprays it at the track as well. It has run 140mph.

Yeah call it BS. There is stuff like this out there all over the country.

I know a guy that runs an 85 Iroc with a T76 305 CI V8 that runs 9.90s@136mph. The car is more streetable than my Stock LS1. He drives it daily. Has a 2500 stall convertor in it and a small cam that you cant even hear. Runs 10s on 93 octane.

I saw NOS'd Mustang running 122mph in the 10s at a track rental before the track closed. Just Heads/Cam Spray and 10s. Stock bottom end.

The thing that sucks about the Mustangs is it takes so much work to get them to run. If you dont mind ripping everthing apart go for it. I like the GN/TTAs cause if you hate working on cars like I do you dont have to do a ton of stuff to get them to run real fast for a street car with just easy bolt ons.

Changing heads/cams etc sucks...

To each there own... If you wanna faster than mid 11s it doesnt matter what you own. They are all money pits....

Blah, blah..

"He's right. They seem to have a lot of respect for our cars - we should probably show the same respect here. Or at least don't lump the idiots you encounter on the street with the folks on the 'Net."

You guys really have a lot time on your hands, go searching achieves and so on. The bottom line is this, I like buicks a tad bit more then i like mustakes, rustangs, or whatever that "sports car" ford makes, and I enjoy walking the majority of them all day long in my "family sedan". Show respect, i haven't really disrespected anyone on here, just debated about which cars better, i mean for gods sake, some of you "men" on hear need to show a little sack and stick up for what you drive, instead of always compromising your opinion to avoid a little conflict or conversation. :D

As for this debate about which ones faster, line me up with 100 random mustakes, i bet i win 65-70, and thats a conservative guess.;)

Shoebox

this takes the cake..

"Not all of them do. It's just a few guys who are insecure about themselves."

So just because i think a buick is a better performance car then a mustake and stated that, Im insecure. :rolleyes: Very funny, what else can you tell me about myself, DOCTOR lyonsd.

LMFAO..think some of you guys need to, ah step away from you computer, take a look out side and realize, chances are if your on here, "your a gear head". Not a DOCTOR.

"Generalizations starts arguements", thats what one very smart DOCTOR and professor once told me.

Keep it in mind when you say, stupid s$#T about people you only know through a computer id on a CAR BB.:(

Im done here,
Shoebox

Look guys...

actually...there are literally millions of performance cars out there in the country...there is ALWAYS someone faster than you no matter who you are (unless you are running a car that breaks the sound barrier). you have to give the most respect to those who work on their cars themself NO MATTER what car it is...I don't like mustangs at all, but i love it when i see a modded mustang run 11's because most likely that guy busted his ass for that car...just like Mike said...I like the TRs better because they are incredibly easier and cheaper to make faster into the 12's...once you get past that, there is alot of money involved in order to go faster...no matter what car it is

i say we need to trash only those who trash us...i browse through all the car boards known to man and i RARELY see a GN or Regal being bashed...i think we should show just a TAD more respect to these guys...if your car is faster, SO WHAT, it doesn't make you a better person does it? didn't think so...:confused:

Re: Blah, blah..

You guys really have a lot time on your hands, go searching achieves and so on. The bottom line is this, I like buicks a tad bit more then i like mustakes, rustangs, or whatever that "sports car" ford makes, and I enjoy walking the majority of them all day long in my "family sedan". Show respect, i haven't really disrespected anyone on here, just debated about which cars better, i mean for gods sake, some of you "men" on hear need to show a little sack and stick up for what you drive, instead of always compromising your opinion to avoid a little conflict or conversation.

Maybe because unlike some people, they'd rather be informed and get their facts straight before running off at the mouth and looking like an ingorant buffoon.

"Mustakes, rustangs"...sure, you haven't disrespected anybody, have you? :rolleyes:

Why does a person have to hate all other cars except for the one they drive? Why do they have to have an opinion that the other car is no good? Nobody is saying anything bad about the turbo Regals, so why does anybody have to "stick up" for them?

You're the only one "debating" which car is "better" here. All I said was that there are some fast Mustangs out there, and that you're wrong when you say they can't win.

"Not all of them do. It's just a few guys who are insecure about themselves."

So just because i think a buick is a better performance car then a mustake and stated that, Im insecure.

So why are you getting all defensive, lad? Did I say, "Blackshoebox is insecure about himself"? Or is it just a guilty conscience on your part?

This debate can go on until the end of the age with no end in sight. All we are doing is spreading this disease called strife and division. It does nothing positive in helping all of us GEARHEADS in promoting the sport. Deep down we are constantly expressing ourselves whether we know it or not. This sport/hobby helps us to express our views and ourselves. If you put enough time, MONEY, resources and people into building a machine, it is even possible to make a Yugo fast. I just happen to like GM cars because that is what my friends had and people around me had when I was growing up and learning about cars. I was weaned on Chevys and had some classic Chevys. I just enjoy working on cars. It's when we let pride take over our thinking and reality that we lose sight of what's really important. Many people came to realize this after Sept. 11. What we really need is to help our fellow car enthusiast in whatever way we can. That way we can ALL say, Going Fast with Class!" Don't just let this be a cliche but let it be real in all of our lives.

Re: Blah, blah..

You guys really have a lot time on your hands, go searching achieves and so on. The bottom line is this, I like buicks a tad bit more then i like mustakes, rustangs, or whatever that "sports car" ford makes, and I enjoy walking the majority of them all day long in my "family sedan". Show respect, i haven't really disrespected anyone on here, just debated about which cars better, i mean for gods sake, some of you "men" on hear need to show a little sack and stick up for what you drive, instead of always compromising your opinion to avoid a little conflict or conversation. :D

As for this debate about which ones faster, line me up with 100 random mustakes, i bet i win 65-70, and thats a conservative guess.;)

Shoebox [/B]

My comments weren't directed at you in particular. I didn't accuse of you disrespecting anyone. I just found it really amazing that there wasn't any of this crap in the Corral. I hung out there for years when I owned my 'Stang, and fully expected to find the same stuff there - seriously I'm shocked.

I don't feel the need to "stick up for what I drive" in here or anywhere else on the 'Net - I do it every time I pull out of my driveway in my GN. It doesn't take any "sack" to sit behind a keyboard and call people names and ridicule their choice in rides. I'm not compromising my opinion, I've stated it exactly as it is. I drive whatever I happen to like at a particular point in time. At one time, it was the Mustang. Currently, it's the GN. Something tells me it may be something else a few years down the line. The GN has had the most staying power with me, though. It's a really nice balance of things I like in a car. Nothing - even brand new - could completely replace it.

So, I was able to stay away from this one until it got 3 pages big. I guess I do have too much time on my hands.....

Jim

Hey! All of you crapstanger's, this is tb.com, not the corral. Quit trolling here!:D :p