no2 to spool turbo

cdsttype

Hi guys just wanted to chime in on Donwg's thread but it was closed. I have been using nitrous to spool my turbo for a couple of years now and do race in a heads up class. MY take on this is it works period and saves my
transmission.If you can use it you would be dumb not to.Some outlaw heads up classes allow two power adders for 4 & 6 cylinder cars.My nos system is automatic and controlled by my xfi.The bottle will stay in until they say i can't have it.Dons car is slow for his combo, but i guess my question would be how many times has it broke and do you run it on kill.Tony is the king but at what cost.I would say do what makes you feel good if you can tony likes to be the king that's cool Donnie is a man who is in the wrong profession he should have gone to school to be a mechanical engineer just look around his engine bay.In both cases i would say they both have spent a ton of money.You guys should recognize that one mans anti lag system is another mans low et.I run my stage motor a second and a half slower that its potential on a small tire at low boost in a heads up class with no breakage that's what makes me feel good in this economy.I still get to go racing
every month on a competitive level.I don't think throwing stones makes
anyone feel good.

Hi guys just wanted to chime in on Donwg's thread but it was closed. I have been using nitrous to spool my turbo for a couple of years now and do race in a heads up class. MY take on this is it works period and saves my
transmission.If you can use it you would be dumb not to.Some outlaw heads up classes allow two power adders for 4 & 6 cylinder cars.My nos system is automatic and controlled by my xfi.The bottle will stay in until they say i can't have it.Dons car is slow for his combo, but i guess my question would be how many times has it broke and do you run it on kill.Tony is the king but at what cost.I would say do what makes you feel good if you can tony likes to be the king that's cool Donnie is a man who is in the wrong profession he should have gone to school to be a mechanical engineer just look around his engine bay.In both cases i would say they both have spent a ton of money.You guys should recognize that one mans anti lag system is another mans low et.I run my stage motor a second and a half slower that its potential on a small tire at low boost in a heads up class with no breakage that's what makes me feel good in this economy.I still get to go racing
anyone feel good.
Imo it doesnt matter unless you can run the number. If you ran one 7 second pass and melted 5 engines trying to do so and the next quickest guy is 8.20 then you are the quickest and it cant be disputed in any way. N2O is not needed in any of the BG heads up classes if the turbo and converter is correct unless you were trying to go for something in q16. Ive melted enough chit over the last 2 years myself but i will run heads up against any real street v6 car. By real street i mean it can and is driven thousands of miles a year and trailered rarely if at all. Id rather lose a few than be spanked by many. It doesnt take and engineer to make a quick car either. N2O is nothing new to us as mentioned in other threads. I use it at times the same way you do but i dont run it through the full pass. Like you say why the hell not have it? Ill walk all over 99% of any high horsepower real street car i come in contact with either from a stop or a high roll. To me it does not matter what they are using. In reality running from a stop the N2O is too much for my street cars on the street and anything but a well prepped drag strip. But form an 90mph roll its ideal and will give a huge advantage over any turbo/converter combo if you have a good set of tires on the car. Id like to see what that RPE bullet in Tony's stock suspension 3500lb TSO car would do in a 2300lb tube chassis race car with more compressor and a t6 ex. It woudl be running well over 200mph. Even if it was thrown in a 3200lb car that was not set on kill and didnt have to follow and heads up class racing rules it would be about 1.5 seconds faster than most. I do agree with trying different things if you want to win. Following everybody elses combos will not make you the fastest. it takes r&d and a lot of broken parts. Both are expensive and take up a lot of time.

[Q. In reality running from a stop the N2O is too much for my street cars on the street and anything but a well prepped drag strip.
The no2 is on for 1 second during spool up only.Its for large turbos with small
displacement engines.I dont see the use on a street cars.It is very easy to
blow the tires off a well prepped street car .I like some lag on a street car
for some traction.

anyone feel good.
Good stuff, Bill.
And, no it's not on kill. Not yet. I'm working it up slowly. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, while keeping her in one piece.
I'll most likely de-tune like you have once I've gone as far as I want to go, and hopefully get a lot more fun time out of her.

I have to tell you, I really don't expect a whole bunch more out of this motor. I mean, how much can you squeeze out of a head that only flowed 210 on the intake? The intake valve is 1.835" and the exhaust is 1.50". I'm surprised I'm getting what I am out of it.
I'll keep inching it up until she won't give me anymore. I've figured she'll be maxed out at 1,230 'BRAKE' hp.

[Q. In reality running from a stop the N2O is too much for my street cars on the street and anything but a well prepped drag strip.
The no2 is on for 1 second during spool up only.Its for large turbos with small
displacement engines.I dont see the use on a street cars.It is very easy to
blow the tires off a well prepped street car .I like some lag on a street car
for some traction.

Mine is on for less than a second for sure. It will hold it from 90+ most of the time

anyone feel good.

Wow first i was refered to as # 1 now "the King" you guys are swellin my head up :) Bill I have no problem with people running a slower et than the car is capable of. The problem that I have is.... when you look for props on mediocure passes then when nothing is mentioned. be braisen enough to say where are all the naysayers now all I hear is crickits, that dont fly with me. Bill You run your car at a level that your comfortable with now you know there is more left in it but i dont see you braggin about your accomplishments
humble is key here some need to learn it !!!

Tony, my favorite critic. Every time I come up with a new best with the car, you're always there to bring me down to earth. I thank you for that. It's probably what keeps me going the most. I love showing people that say I can't do something, that they're so, so wrong.
I do plan to update people as I continue to make progress with the car, and the 91mm. I do hope that won't be something that causes you undue stress.

Did Don ever fax the paperwork to Tony to compute his hp? I know that was the "plan" last week. I am really curious how much hp Don comes up with for Tony's car using the same method he used in his signature.

Did Don ever fax the paperwork to Tony to compute his hp? I know that was the "plan" last week. I am really curious how much hp Don comes up with for Tony's car using the same method he used in his signature.
Still waiting for the fax number to send the paperwork to. No one's brought it up since I asked for a fax number. It doesn't have to be Otto's fax number.

It's no skin off my back. All I have to do is print out the forms and pop them in the fax machine. You guys get to fill them out. :biggrin:

I'll also need details of a few time slips that are pretty close to get an average performance from. I'll need all the details of the time slips. I use the time slips to massage the program so that I can come up with the best real world comparison.

I should also warn you fellas. If you really want to go through with me calculating this for you, there will be additional information that I'm going to need to double check the output and fine tune the numbers to get as accurate a bhp figure as possible.
Some of that additional information will be:
Launch rpm
RPM drop on the 1-2 shift
RPM drop on the 2-3 shift
RPM across the finish line
A datalog showing the rpm curve throughout the run
How far out the car is carrying the wheels
An estimate of tire slip at the launch

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. More may come to me as we progress with the analysis.

Bear in mind, this will provide us with a torque and hp curve. The hp figure will be BRAKE hp, NOT RWHP.

Let's get started guys. Where's the fax number?
Cal, maybe you can prod these guys to get that fax number to me.

Wouldn't it be easier to just put the car on a dyno or am I missing something? I'm curious how much hp it's making too. What's the claimed bhp, 1180? Don, what's your race weight?

Heck, Cal. We don't have to wait for these guys to come up with a fax number. What's yours? I'll get the paperwork to you and you can do the leg work getting these guys to fill out the info. Thanks.

Wouldn't it be easier to just put the car on a dyno or am I missing something? I'm curious how much hp it's making too. What's the claimed bhp, 1180? Don, what's your race weight?
How would you come up with a bhp figure on a chassis dyno? I guess you could just add in the estimated 20-25% drivetrain loss for an automatic with a high stall, but this program does a good job of working in the different losses, including aero loss.

Red C5, are you asking about my hp figure or Tony's. I thought this was about me coming up with a bhp figure for Tony's engine?

By the way, my weight is 3200 with driver and fuel.

Just in case. Everyone is clear on the differences between BRAKE HP and REAR WHEEL HP, right?

I haven't gotten a fax number yet. :confused:

Com'on, anyone's fax number?

Quick quiz.
Of the horsepower that is generated in the cylinder, can anyone guess how much hp is lost to;
The cooling system
The exhaust system
Mechanical friction and drag

What the software allows you to see is the hp being used at the launch, at the 1-2 shift, basically at any point along the pass that you want to know.
It also allows you to throw in different hp numbers to see how they might affect the pass, try different stall TCs, try different rearend ratios, different TC torque multiplication factors, slippage, aero, traction levels, tire growth, etc.
I could go on and on.

A little more complicated than just plugging in a few numbers. I shouldn't say a little. A LOT MORE COMPLICATED.

Heck, Cal. We don't have to wait for these guys to come up with a fax number. What's yours? I'll get the paperwork to you and you can do the leg work getting these guys to fill out the info. Thanks.

Sorry, I was away at a Dr's appointment. Just fax it to 321-722-1563 I will make sure we get all of Tony's information on there.

Sorry, I was away at a Dr's appointment. Just fax it to 321-722-1563 I will make sure we get all of Tony's information on there.

Yeah! Finally! OK, I'm printing it out now, and then I'll fax it to you.

Let me know if you got it. You should have gotten two pages to fill out.
Also, let me know if you need any help with the specs.