no2 to spool turbo

If you don't have the exact engine power curve, don't worry. With some other questions that I'll be asking we can virtually build it up. Time slip information will be key for that.

Cal, did you get it?

Hello?

I know the level of information is a little shocking, but all you have to do is type yes or no.

Got it.
I'm going to start a thread in the drag racing section so that we can go back and forth with the additional info I'm going to need. I'll call it, Tony's bhp.
Scratch that. We'll put it in the engine tech section.

Wow first i was refered to as # 1 now "the King" you guys are swellin my head up :) Bill I have no problem with people running a slower et than the car is capable of. The problem that I have is.... when you look for props on mediocure passes then when nothing is mentioned. be braisen enough to say where are all the naysayers now all I hear is crickits, that dont fly with me. Bill You run your car at a level that your comfortable with now you know there is more left in it but i dont see you braggin about your accomplishments
humble is key here some need to learn it !!![/QUOTE

Tony no question you are the king.

I haven't gotten a fax number yet. :confused:

Com'on, anyone's fax number?

Quick quiz.
Of the horsepower that is generated in the cylinder, can anyone guess how much hp is lost to;
The cooling system
The exhaust system
Mechanical friction and drag

Would these be brand x standard figures or RPE bullet figures? Kind of silly to spend so much time computing horsepower on a computer. At the end of it all it means less than nothing.

That's true, Jimmy. Timeslips don't lie..........

unless you hit the brakes before you go through the traps on an 8.80 pass :biggrin: Congrat's again!!!

That's true, Jimmy. Timeslips don't lie..........

unless you hit the brakes before you go through the traps on an 8.80 pass :biggrin: Congrat's again!!!

It is easy with a cookie cutter. Get the ingredients, cook it for 6 months, an voila, another 8 sec. recipe car.:biggrin:

Hi guys just wanted to chime in on Donwg's thread but it was closed. I have been using nitrous to spool my turbo for a couple of years now and do race in a heads up class. MY take on this is it works period and saves my
transmission.If you can use it you would be dumb not to.Some outlaw heads up classes allow two power adders for 4 & 6 cylinder cars.My nos system is automatic and controlled by my xfi.The bottle will stay in until they say i can't have it.Dons car is slow for his combo, but i guess my question would be how many times has it broke and do you run it on kill.Tony is the king but at what cost.I would say do what makes you feel good if you can tony likes to be the king that's cool Donnie is a man who is in the wrong profession he should have gone to school to be a mechanical engineer just look around his engine bay.In both cases i would say they both have spent a ton of money.You guys should recognize that one mans anti lag system is another mans low et.I run my stage motor a second and a half slower that its potential on a small tire at low boost in a heads up class with no breakage that's what makes me feel good in this economy.I still get to go racing
every month on a competitive level.I don't think throwing stones makes
anyone feel good.

You know, I run the juice as well, but only on transbreak and Fast runs it all to that point. I probably have one of the biggest vacumes on one of these cars to date and can tell you that it is a must with its size(promod turbo G trim). We can spool to 12-14# on the break in as little as 2 sec and only with a 100 shot. If we chose to run more that obviously it will be faster spool. Dusty's converter helps alot, specs are vital of course. Donnie has come up with something amazing for anyone wanting more turbo for more top end, not that you need more:biggrin:. I was planning on pushing the limits of my combo this year, in hopes for some amazing numbers, but economy has gotten in the way, so we will keep the car at its currnt settings, but working hard on launch and the first half of the track. We will see some 8.30-8.40's once it cools off and again, wtih out pushing or even seeing real potential car has in her. My hat is off to anyone as fast as Tony and Dave. I dont care if its budget or not, fast is fast and they are the Kings of stock susp GN racing.

You know, I run the juice as well, but only on transbreak and Fast runs it all to that point. I probably have one of the biggest vacumes on one of these cars to date and can tell you that it is a must with its size(promod turbo G trim). We can spool to 12-14# on the break in as little as 2 sec and only with a 100 shot. If we chose to run more that obviously it will be faster spool. Dusty's converter helps alot, specs are vital of course. Donnie has come up with something amazing for anyone wanting more turbo for more top end, not that you need more:biggrin:. I was planning on pushing the limits of my combo this year, in hopes for some amazing numbers, but economy has gotten in the way, so we will keep the car at its currnt settings, but working hard on launch and the first half of the track. We will see some 8.30-8.40's once it cools off and again, wtih out pushing or even seeing real potential car has in her. My hat is off to anyone as fast as Tony and Dave. I dont care if its budget or not, fast is fast and they are the Kings of stock susp GN racing.
I'm guessing my turbine is even bigger than yours. 110/100mm.

Not to get in the middle of the pissin' match but here's my .02 from someone who's been fast with and without the NOS.

I run a 91.5mm on a 276 cube engine. It is a bitch to spool with the limited amount of exhaust energy available unless everything is perfect meaning converter, tune, etc, etc. I have considered switching to a 88mm turbo to alleviate this issue and I'm sure I could go just as fast if not faster since it would only be giving up a few HP over the 91. I put the NOS on mine several years ago simply to make the car easier to drive and to stop killing converters at the tree. Click on the video in my sig for a demonstration. It's a matter of choice for me. Yes, there are many sanctioning bodies and classes that don't allow multiple power adders but for my purposes (which is to go fast) it's fine. Mine comes on at a set boost level generated while still on the footbrake and then engages the nitrous to a set point where the turbo is sufficiently spooled then it turns off. I could leave it on the entire pass but I currently don't. One thing no one has mentioned in all this is the intercooling effect that comes from nitrous. Inlet temps drop dramatically when the spray comes on and increase quickly as soon as it turns off.

As for the pissin' match - My opinion is that Donnie tends to over think a lot of things, over engineer a lot of other things, and over complicate most things but he seems to mean well in trying to put stuff out there on the table in and attempt to further the hobby. His car is an overly complex machine for no faster than it is but it is unique. Tony's machine is the one to beat for now in TSO no doubt. He's paid his dues over the years and beat the balls off that thing over the years. As far as I'm concerned, they're both OK in my book and I'd be more than happy to line up with either one of them on the track or the dyno any day - with or without the NOS!:biggrin:

Peace ya'll!;)

No pissin contest here. Just simply wondering what your turbine wheel measures out at. No need to get defensive because of that, I would hope. :confused:

As far as Tony and I, I never thought of this thing Tony is doing as a pissin contest. If he feels my car is threatening enough that he needs to follow me around and Troll me, then I can only feel extremely honored. I'm a little surprised that other people don't realize it, but I am well aware my car would not have a chance against his. I wish he would realize that so that he could calm down and stop feeling threatened by me. And you too, Will. Seriously. You think of me enough that you'd want to line up against me? Well, THANK YOU SIR, is about all I can say to that. Again, I feel extremely honored, although I think you too are thinking too much of my experimental machine.

Really though, I can't help but feel extremely good about myself when the top dogs feel they need to pick on me like this. I would have thought there were other fellas much closer to being better competition. Maybe it's just easier to pick on me and do the chest pounding thing? It's kind of like the bully kid in the playground picking on the little kid because it's easier to get away with it? Doesn't really say very much about the bully kid though, does it?

As far as Tony and I, I never thought of this thing Tony is doing as a pissin contest. If he feels my car is threatening enough that he needs to follow me around and Troll me, then I can only feel extremely honored. I'm a little surprised that other people don't realize it, but I am well aware my car would not have a chance against his. I wish he would realize that so that he could calm down and stop feeling threatened by me. And you too, Will. Seriously. You think of me enough that you'd want to line up against me? Well, THANK YOU SIR, is about all I can say to that. Again, I feel extremely honored, although I think you too are thinking too much of my experimental machine.

Really though, I can't help but feel extremely good about myself when the top dogs feel they need to pick on me like this. I would have thought there were other fellas much closer to being better competition. Maybe it's just easier to pick on me and do the chest pounding thing? It's kind of like the bully kid in the playground picking on the little kid because it's easier to get away with it? Doesn't really say very much about the bully kid though, does it?

Chill out there Donnie - I'm not picking on you - if anything I was trying to take up for you. You took what I posted entirely the wrong way. I didn't mean any disrespect by saying I'd line up with you and it surely wasn't me pounding my chest. Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't have a big ego that needs stroking. Take it as a gesture of respect from me. I don't really get why Tony is beating you up either. Like I said, I think you think outside of the box and mean well.

I knew I should have kept to myself.......:rolleyes:

Chill out there Donnie - I'm not picking on you - if anything I was trying to take up for you. You took what I posted entirely the wrong way. I didn't mean any disrespect by saying I'd line up with you and it surely wasn't me pounding my chest. Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't have a big ego that needs stroking. Take it as a gesture of respect from me. I don't really get why Tony is beating you up either. Like I said, I think you think outside of the box and mean well.

I knew I should have kept to myself.......:rolleyes:
We're good, Will. I mean what I said. I feel honored that you would line up with me. It would be fun watching you pull away at warp speed. :biggrin:

I don't think Tony is picking on Don. A while back he asked some questions, Tony answered. It got a little out of hand with a difference of opinions and Tony has his opinion which I think to this point isn't off base. I think when Don puts a big CI engine in his car it will be a little more like the big CI engines making BIG power and I don't doubt Don will reach his goals. I don't think anybody is saying Don can't do it. When he does he can show up and if he wants he can call out Tony and the naysayers he can and it can get settled on the track where it should. ;) That would make for some good racing.

I think people would better understand my position in this whole thing if they knew what my goals for this project were, exactly.
The original goal for my project was 650 bhp, 700 bhp if I was lucky. As time progressed, the goal changed along with the progress. Contrary to what others may feel, I do realize what the limitations of this configuration are. It is primarily the heads. Next, would be the cubes. From the beginning of this project I always knew the heads were the limiting factor. The original goal was to see what I could get out of these heads. That's all.
The latest goal with these heads is 1230 bhp. I think the heads will be done at that bhp figure. I figure I'm 50-100 hp from reaching that goal. Heck, that's a couple more pounds of boost, if I can get it to the ground. Some obviously feel that is a petty goal. I don't feel the same way. These are heads that flowed at only 210 cfm, and the original goal did not include class racing the car. If that were the case, I completely understand that heads would be the key to winning, as it always has been.

I have to laugh when some of you bag on me for this and that as if I don't know what the limitations of my setup are. The truth is, some of you just don't get it that I DO know what the limitations are, and I don't know why the heck some of you have to bag on me. Some people just need to pick on someone, I guess. That's fine. I'm entertained by it.

For the record. I do realize that if I were to bolt on a better set of heads (Stage II), it would be a quick and easy 400 bhp or so. I'm just waiting for the Stage I head technology to get to a point where it is even with or surpasses the capabilities of the Stage II head. That way I don't have to change my manifolding. If you know what I mean. :biggrin:

I'm just waiting for the Stage I head technology to get to a point where it is even with or surpasses the capabilities of the Stage II head.

FWIW: Don Cruz has been 173+mph at 3460# with an 88 turbo and Champion heads, so I would say they are getting close