no2 to spool turbo

FWIW: Don Cruz has been 173+mph at 3460# with an 88 turbo and Champion heads, so I would say they are getting close

Exactly. For example, we have flowed a set of decent Stage 2 heads that topped out at 340cfm. A good set of conventional heads have been 320 on the same bench. The port size of the conventional is much smaller than the stage head and the engine is noticeably more torquey down low.

For the record. I do realize that if I were to bolt on a better set of heads (Stage II), it would be a quick and easy 400 bhp or so. I'm just waiting for the Stage I head technology to get to a point where it is even with or surpasses the capabilities of the Stage II head. That way I don't have to change my manifolding. If you know what I mean. :biggrin:

Im curious at what boost level you think you would have to be at to make a quick and easy 400 hp more with just a head change. For the record A Na motor would gain nowhere near 400 hp with just a head change so i dont see how a turbo motor would gain that. Years ago Cal ran heads that flowed 250 cfm and dave and I ran our stage heads all three of us ran the pte88 turbo guess what, we all ran 159 mph the only difference was that Dave and I did it with 5# less boost.

Exactly. For example, we have flowed a set of decent Stage 2 heads that topped out at 340cfm. A good set of conventional heads have been 320 on the same bench. The port size of the conventional is much smaller than the stage head and the engine is noticeably more torquey down low.

That Brings up a good point its almost to the point where a stage 2 head in a converter car is getting to be a DISAVANTAGE !!! The conventional heads are starting to flow what a set of stage heads flow, but yet they make more turque down low. Thats huge when trying to accelarate the car, people get caught up on flow numbers they mean NOTHING if you cant accelarate the car, it therefore becomes a dyno qween :biggrin:

Im curious at what boost level you think you would have to be at to make a quick and easy 400 hp more with just a head change. For the record A Na motor would gain nowhere near 400 hp with just a head change so i dont see how a turbo motor would gain that. Years ago Cal ran heads that flowed 250 cfm and dave and I ran our stage heads all three of us ran the pte88 turbo guess what, we all ran 159 mph the only difference was that Dave and I did it with 5# less boost.
I'm confused. What heads exactly are you running? Stage I style or Stage II style? Above you stated Stage. What does that mean?

I was running old school Champion heads and Tony and Dave were running Stage 2 heads. We all three were running the same the same turbo, etc.. We all had nearly identical performance.

I tune on Fiscus, Gomes and Cruz's cars, and based on what I am seeing so far, I still haven't seen a dramatic hp increase with the Stage heads in TSO trim. Not dealing in theory, basing it on personal experience.

Don, what is your backpressure at your peak boost? Also how much fuel are you using?

I was running old school Champion heads and Tony and Dave were running Stage 2 heads. We all three were running the same the same turbo, etc.. We all had nearly identical performance.

I tune on Fiscus, Gomes and Cruz's cars, and based on what I am seeing so far, I still haven't seen a dramatic hp increase with the Stage heads in TSO trim. Not dealing in theory, basing it on personal experience.
Is TSO limited on manifolding and turbine size? What kind of ex/int pressure ratio is TSO seeing?

Don, what is your backpressure at your peak boost? Also how much fuel are you using?
BSFC is around 1.15.
I've only been up to 28-29 psi boost so far. If I remember right, at that level of boost I saw an exhaust back pressure reading of 22-24 psi.
Not trying to be generous, better than a .95:1 ratio.

BINGO, real world experience!!! heads are a part of the puzzle on a turbo car its a smaller part.

Is TSO limited on manifolding and turbine size? What kind of ex/int pressure ratio is TSO seeing?

They are limited to a maximum turbine exducer diameter of 93mm/3.66". Most racers are running smaller than that. The pressure ratio varies slightly based on engine combination, but a good rule of thumb is around 1.8:1 on the faster cars.

BINGO, real world experience!!! heads are a part of the puzzle on a turbo car its a smaller part.
They are a small part of a TOTAL package. But the heads are still an important part if the package is right. For instance, my package has outgrown my heads.

They are limited to a maximum turbine exducer diameter of 93mm/3.66". Most racers are running smaller than that. The pressure ratio varies slightly based on engine combination, but a good rule of thumb is around 1.8:1 on the faster cars.

So some are choosing to push some big boost numbers.

They are a small part of a TOTAL package. But the heads are still an important part if the package is right. For instance, my package has outgrown my heads.

That was my point, if you just change your heads like you mentioned you would not pick up 400 hp the TOTAL package would have to be revamped.

So you guys have been comparing my ride to a class that allows Stage II heads? LOL! Dang! Now I really feel honored!

So some are choosing to push some big boost numbers.

Our ex wheel and housing is much smaller than what you currantly run hence the higher bp numbers, but yes we are running a bit more boost than your currently at. Did you plan on making big power running low boost ?

I am also curious on how much fuel your using lbs per hr