Power touring GN Build Thread

Well I order a new Casper engine harness a year ago when I was starting this project. The old harness worked but I had a bad case of whileimatititis and there was a Harness sale. John Spina really works with you to make one to meet your needs and there are a few options I chose. I wanted to hide my harness under the intake instead of along the valve cover so he lengthened the appropriate wires. I chose the positive fuseable link as well as the negative ground adapter. I opted for the extended battery harness kit as well. That ahold make connecting to the positive fuseable links easier as well as some slack to the starter. The powermaster wiring was removed as well as the egr and waste gate wires. The delay relay was eliminated and the alt field was prewired to eliminate the dash bulb from causing charging issues. The alt power cable was integrated so I don't have to run a wire under the block like stock. If you order on make sure you've figured out how your setup will be first.

Here is some pics of the Casper harness...

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397699446.078751.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397699486.565504.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397699502.343627.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397699520.064884.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397699534.679555.jpg

I'm still fumbling with the harness, but the rims showed up today and I wanted to share my issues.

First here is a Centerline lazer ii on the front and rear....

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397700129.659070.jpg

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397700149.466970.jpg

Notice the front rim? It won't fit the stock rim centercap because of the billet dust cover on the Baer kit. I called Baer and the solution is to run a factory style stamped metal dust cover. I was given Dorman part 618-102.

The other issue as you can see is the lugs are way too short! I didn't ask Baer about that but I'm not too sure they would work for most aftermarket rims and stock rims wouldn't fit on this kit... Time for longer studs... Anyone familiar with Baer kits! Can they be pressed out?

Notice the front rim? It won't fit the stock rim centercap because of the billet dust cover on the Baer kit. I called Baer and the solution is to run a factory style stamped metal dust cover. I was given Dorman part 618-102.

The other issue as you can see is the lugs are way too short! I didn't ask Baer about that but I'm not too sure they would work for most aftermarket rims and stock rims wouldn't fit on this kit... Time for longer studs... Anyone familiar with Baer kits! Can they be pressed out?

I'm having the same two issues with my Pro Plus fronts. I'll try to talk to Baer this week. I'll let you know if they're aware of the lug it issue.

I called Baer and talked to Rick (great guy) I ordered some ARP 3" studs. They are aware of the issue, my guess is they can't account for every time of wheel flange thickness made..

Since I'm planning on 275/35 tires up front I'm adding the wheelwell extention kit.

The directions that come with the kit don't really hold your hand through the process. Meaning you'll need to use a little common sense. You remove all but 3/4 inch if the wheel lip using the fiberglass piece as an idea how far you cut. There is no templete for cutting the lip where the moldling attaches. I don't run molding anyway so I'll probably roll mine when through. Here you can use 3/4 inch masking tape as a guide.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397964446.732401.jpg

Now that the outside fender lip is cut the templete can be used. FYI I ended up cutting a little more than the templete for proper fit and aesthetics.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397965122.195065.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397965142.046262.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397965163.041181.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397965178.680947.jpg

My friend helping me with this part of the project is a body man who's working for some free food. He's going to bring some panel bond from work so we stopped for the day. The kit comes with adhesive but he feels more comfortable with his product. The plan is going to be slightly different from the kit but it should work nonetheless.

I called Baer and talked to Rick (great guy) I ordered some ARP 3" studs. They are aware of the issue, my guess is they can't account for every time of wheel flange thickness made..
Do you have a part number for the studs?
Thanks

John, sorry I don't. I called them and they sent what they had. They didn't have the 12.5mm threads either...

The last 5 days I've been sick with the stomach flu... It was awful. Anyway I felt a little better today so I started on the wiring harness. One of the options of the Casper kit is the ability to run his your harness under the intake plenum.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1398288178.277153.jpg

More work on the wheelhouse extensions.. Panel bond requires a clean surface so if you have any undercoating etc make sure you remove it.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1398561769.426737.jpg

The panel bond we used requires a little longer to cure than the included adhesive. Therefore clamps were necessary.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1398561912.752280.jpg

All done Before paint: I will roll the lips once it's back on the car.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1398561998.184366.jpg