Powermaster rebuild

To Quote Herman Munster ,
"Darn,Darn,Darn" didn't work, No power assist. light turns off in ~ 7 seconds. No brake light. But no power assist and the pump side well does not come back up when you step on the pedal . Stays fully charged . Now this is a used PM . Original problem pedal was stuck 1/2 way.

I am going to try with the ordinal that was on the car. If that doesn't work , i don;t know. Really don't want Vacuum and hydro boost. :(

Tricky units these dang powermasters they are, keep after it im sure you will get it to work. Forgot to say there is one for sale, brand new reman in the parts section 400.00. Great price

Last edited:
How did it feel when you were "bench bleeding" it on the car? It should have been fully returning on it's own at that time.

you'll be a Powermaster expert in no time flat

BTW, I should add, I wouldn't have had the courage to try this without the help of the new power master service manual co-written by Richard Clark and John Norton.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

I just order Manual & a second "O" ring kit. Giving it one more shot !

How did it feel when you were "bench bleeding" it on the car? It should have been fully returning on it's own at that time.

you'll be a Power master expert in no time flat

I don't want to be a Power Master Master :) . When "bench" bleeding it the pedal went all the way to the floor & fully back up , Once I got the air out . Reconnected the brake line loosely and allowed any air to escape tighten them had a nice firm pedal . powered it up pump ran for ~10 seconds , brake light went off after ~7 seconds. The pedal feels the same. And as far as I can tell I put everything back the way it came out and from what I could read on the PDF.

The power side reservoir does not come back up when the brakes are applied. Pressure assist at full pressure. Before(attempted rebuild) the pedal was stuck 1/2 way down. Wouldn't pull back.

Now my original the brakes were dragging took it ~ 5 seconds for the pedal to return. that is the one I am tiring next.

Could have went flying today :(

Well at least the new Passenger side front upper control arm in :)

Last edited:
Something must be amiss in the "booster section" of the master cylinder. Somehow preventing the booster from venting it's spent fluid through the discharge "port A"

What if the (#24) reaction disk was leaking ? Every thing inside the "power piston #25" looked good.

I'm not sure, I don't think the reaction disc could cause a return issue but not certain. It sounds like the booster section is still trying to provide power assist despite the pedal being released, which I think would be something going on with the valving inside the power piston #25

I'm not sure, I don't think the reaction disc could cause a return issue but not certain. It sounds like the booster section is still trying to provide power assist despite the pedal being released, which I think would be something going on with the valving inside the power piston #25

Every thing in there looked OK, The only I did not do was the the "O" ring on the piston guide/stop (The part closest to the pedal. When it came apart the piston in #25 where stuck. But they where free when it went back together. Unless I rolled a "O" ring.

Well, I will tearing the other one down tomorrow . I will see if I see anything different.

Well, I am tearing down the original that was on the car and I found this . This flange was not on the other PM (part #23) .

Attachments

• P112716_1037.jpg
    P112716_1037.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 89
Well, I am tearing down the original that was on the car and I found this . This flange was not on the other PM (part #23) .

That flange is what it has to rest against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got though cleaning the parts with hot soap & Water and blowing the parts off with compressed air after. Now sitting in a sealed baggy(s) to keep them clean until the "O" ring kit to come in.

Last edited:
Just got though cleaning the parts with hot soap & Water and blowing the parts off with compressed air after. Now sitting in a sealed baggy(s) to keep them clean until the "O" ring kit to come in.
I don't see how the pin can stay in place without it.

I don't see how the pin can stay in place without it.

I agree , but it is what it is. I will tear that one down again and take pictures. The reaction disk has to be holding it in place. I am beginning to thing that this power master is not out of a GN.