Pypes STAINLESS Exhaust System..

bmackinnon

Well, I hope I don't make any of you guys that just bought the Hooker system upset, BUT, I've been researching exhaust systems (that will fit my meager budget...) for a couple weeks now, and have done some homework. Kirban's (I think, or Poston's) offers both the Hooker system and the Pypes Performance Exhaust system (advertised as identical to and a 'lower-priced alternative' to the Hooker). Both advertised as 'aluminized' pipe. As it turns out, Pypes has changed their company philosophy, and now manufactures ALL their exhausts in stainless steel exclusively. The Pypes GN system is made from 409 SS and offers LIFETIME WARRANTY (as do all their systems... mufflers have Limited Lifetime Warranty, not sure what that means). Pypes offers 3 different mufflers (also all welded stainless): Street Pro, Race Pro, and Violator. Street Pro is a louvered straight thru with no packing, Race Pro is a perforated straight thru with packing, Violator is Flowmaster-like (mini sound deflection chambers?). My thought is that the Race Pro's (flow much better than street's) are definitely the way to go... and they claim they are their 'quietest' muffler as well.

BEST OF ALL.... drum roll.... Summit sells the GN kit (SGG-50R) for $329.95 (!!!), plus $11.75 S&H (not 'oversized' shipping), and no tax (in my state).

Here's where to check it all out...
Pypes Performance Exhaust - Home Page
search for 'systems', '78-87 G-body', 'Monte Carlo/Cutlass/Regal/Grand National'
and then for the Catback System, you'll find:
SGG-53(S/R/V) which is the Rear Exit Monte Carlo 'SS' style (no,no,no!!) and
SGG-50(S/R/V) which is the Slash-Tip Side Exit ('non-SS') GN style (oh yeah....)
the S/R/V is for street, race or violator muffs, prices are all the same.

Then, go to:
Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030
and search for 'SGG50S', which will give the pertinent details of the system, the 'SGG50R' is also on the website (for $0.30 more than sgg50s??), but it appears that they haven't typed in the full description of the 'R' kit - must be a webmaster thing...

One last word... I just spoke w/ a sales rep at Summit. He showed me how to find the 'R' kit on their site, as I didn't find it thru normal point and click menu's. After asking if I was ORDERING the system now, and telling him no, but I would be soon, and that I would just order it online.... he RUDELY informed me that the online prices are the same, and Summit sales reps are 'Commision-based, 'just so I know', and then hung up on me.... :confused: But I guess I do understand his frustration, so I'll take it for what it is, and recommend that if you don't care either way, order from their 800 line so those guys can make a buck too....

There you have it.... that's my homework.... now somebody hurry up and order one and inform us all how great it fits, so I can buy mine too!! :biggrin:

What'cha guys think???

I had a pypes catback on a 5.0 coupe I had. I was really tired of the traditional 5.0-with-flowmasters sound and tried to find something that would sound different. The pypes kit was nice, took a little bit to get it adjusted correctly but overall fit was pretty good and the polished tips looked nice. Not over the top chrome finish but a nice shine to them. If my limited experience with them is anything to go by it seems like a pretty good system to buy.

10-4! NGNOWNER just bought one. He sounds happy with it. Said the tailpipes are a bit shorter than stock and stealthy :biggrin: , and that the exits are a bit closer to the rear wheels. Also said that he had to drill new holes in the frame to mount the tailpipes, but no big deal. He said it sounds awesome, and tucks up nicely under the car. NGN- what muffs did you get??
Please report back!!

Has anyone checked on the muffler design?
Are they straight thru like Dynomax?

10-4! NGNOWNER just bought one. He sounds happy with it. Said the tailpipes are a bit shorter than stock and stealthy :biggrin: , and that the exits are a bit closer to the rear wheels. Also said that he had to drill new holes in the frame to mount the tailpipes, but no big deal. He said it sounds awesome, and tucks up nicely under the car. NGN- what muffs did you get??
Please report back!!

Good Feedback & a big thanks for the heads up & links, sure beats the $600 price range......I may buy another.:D

My synopsis from info at the Pypes website:

Pypes offers 3 different mufflers (also all welded stainless): Street Pro, Race Pro, and Violator. Street Pro is a louvered straight thru with no packing, Race Pro is a perforated straight thru with packing, Violator is Flowmaster-like (mini sound deflection chambers?). My thought is that the Race Pro's (flow much better than street's) are definitely the way to go... and they claim they are their 'quietest' muffler as well.

Well, I hope I don't make any of you guys that just bought the Hooker system upset, BUT, I've been researching exhaust systems (that will fit my meager budget...) for a couple weeks now, and have done some homework. Kirban's (I think, or Poston's) offers both the Hooker system and the Pypes Performance Exhaust system (advertised as identical to and a 'lower-priced alternative' to the Hooker). Both advertised as 'aluminized' pipe. As it turns out, Pypes has changed their company philosophy, and now manufactures ALL their exhausts in stainless steel exclusively. The Pypes GN system is made from 409 SS and offers LIFETIME WARRANTY (as do all their systems... mufflers have Limited Lifetime Warranty, not sure what that means). Pypes offers 3 different mufflers (also all welded stainless): Street Pro, Race Pro, and Violator. Street Pro is a louvered straight thru with no packing, Race Pro is a perforated straight thru with packing, Violator is Flowmaster-like (mini sound deflection chambers?). My thought is that the Race Pro's (flow much better than street's) are definitely the way to go... and they claim they are their 'quietest' muffler as well.

BEST OF ALL.... drum roll.... Summit sells the GN kit (SGG-50R) for $329.95 (!!!), plus $11.75 S&H (not 'oversized' shipping), and no tax (in my state).

Here's where to check it all out...
Pypes Performance Exhaust - Home Page
search for 'systems', '78-87 G-body', 'Monte Carlo/Cutlass/Regal/Grand National'
and then for the Catback System, you'll find:
SGG-53(S/R/V) which is the Rear Exit Monte Carlo 'SS' style (no,no,no!!) and
SGG-50(S/R/V) which is the Slash-Tip Side Exit ('non-SS') GN style (oh yeah....)
the S/R/V is for street, race or violator muffs, prices are all the same.

Then, go to:
Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030
and search for 'SGG50S', which will give the pertinent details of the system, the 'SGG50R' is also on the website (for $0.30 more than sgg50s??), but it appears that they haven't typed in the full description of the 'R' kit - must be a webmaster thing...

One last word... I just spoke w/ a sales rep at Summit. He showed me how to find the 'R' kit on their site, as I didn't find it thru normal point and click menu's. After asking if I was ORDERING the system now, and telling him no, but I would be soon, and that I would just order it online.... he RUDELY informed me that the online prices are the same, and Summit sales reps are 'Commision-based, 'just so I know', and then hung up on me.... :confused: But I guess I do understand his frustration, so I'll take it for what it is, and recommend that if you don't care either way, order from their 800 line so those guys can make a buck too....

There you have it.... that's my homework.... now somebody hurry up and order one and inform us all how great it fits, so I can buy mine too!! :biggrin:

What'cha guys think???

I ordered one,haven't installed it yet. Definitely not stainless though.

My mufflers are straight through.Nice exhaust for the money.

a couple shots

Hi Guys, Mine came with the street pro's (from summit for $329.) I love the sound, to me it sounds allot better than the stock system. I've heard the single 3" too and that sounds too much like like a dodge diesel pickup. My spool up seemed faster after I replaced the stock system, but probably anything is an improvement over stock. I couldn't believe it was stainless for that price. I'll find some bologna cut tips for it cheap somewhere but for now it's fine. :)

Attachments

• DSC01783.jpg
    DSC01783.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 3,715
  • DSC01784.jpg
    DSC01784.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3,792
I had the x-pipe system (non-SS tails ofcourse :cool: )on my 86 442 with a 455 Olds in it. Fit great, and I am now finishing up putting a 3" system of their on my 64 Cutlass.I bought mine through Rocket Racing & Performance instead of direct though.

Sixgun... I'm thinking if yours isn't stainless, then you must of got one they produced before they discontinued production of the 'aluminized' steel systems and switched all their products to stainless. I believe they made the switch pretty recently... like Dec/Jan timeframe. It talks about it on their home page or news page/about us... somewhere there. Still seems to be a pretty good deal, though.

NGNOWNER - thanks for the pics!! Looks great! I like those tips as-is, but I also like the stock b'loney cutters too. I really like that they exit a bit farther inward... not tooo far in, but just tucked back a little.... you are right, kinda' stealthy... According to the pypes site, that while the street pro muffs flow somewhat less than the race pros, they also mention (tout) that they (the street's, louvered straight-thru's) have NO packing, and thus retain the same sound for the life of the mufflers, while the race's (perforated straight-thru's) are packed with 'basalt' (?) material, which will likely burn out over time.

This system is really looking like the fantastic deal I was hoping it was!! Thanks for the feedback!

Id like to see some photos. For that price, its almost certainly got to made in China.. stainless costs too much to sell it at that price if its made in the US.

Id like to see some photos. For that price, its almost certainly got to made in China.. stainless costs too much to sell it at that price if its made in the US.

where can you buy parts now days that are not made in China?? i'd like to know...

they also sell these in the opg catalog, I was just browsing in there last night and saw them, and saw this post today:cool:

Ummm, he described the three mufflers in great detail in his original post above.

Why don't you call Chris (215-712-9982)
at the company and ask him about it. All their systems are manufactured/assembled in hatfield, PA from components that are sent in from various other US manufacturers/suppliers. I don't doubt that some of the raw material comes from abroad. We can discuss why most of our steel now comes from offshore but that's not the point. I support Pypes because they are from eastern, PA. I also buy from and support Kirbans, they are from eastern, pa (actually not to far away from each other). Some of us don't have unlimited resources and are always looking for a better deal, which is what capitalism is all about anyway.

The set I had was before they were stainless, but the pipe was made in Canada. It was stamped into it.

If the stuff is actually bent in the US, thats sweet. I personally dont give a crap where stuff is made, my concern with the China thing was quality control. If theyre bending them up here, that's a great deal.. Maybe Ill call them on Monday and see what it takes to be a distributor.

system pics

I was under the car today installing a pinion snubber from kirbans so I took some shots of the system, sorry for the poor shots but it's it's the best I could do face down under the gas tank.:)

Attachments

• DSC01787.jpg
    DSC01787.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 3,537
  • DSC01789.jpg
    DSC01789.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3,494
I was under the car today installing a pinion snubber from kirbans

Bummer!! Wish you would have asked before doing that. I could tell you about my many years of experience fighting one of those. Our 4 link suspensions are not designed to take advantage of a pinion snubber.
Pinion snubbers work wonders on leave spring cars, which they were designed for. NOT 4 lings.

Let me know how it works out. It hurt my 60's badly.