Ridetech Coilovers!

TIMS87GN

Hey guys, Just wanted to share my excitement over my upcoming winter project. I've been researching and reading about lowering springs and tubular control arms for a while in an effort to get my GN to handle better and have a sportier stance. Lots of info! This all started with me wanting to convert my stock GN brakes over to the S-10 Blazer setup. One thing led to another and I scored a deal on tubular control arms for the front. Next thing I knew I was thinking about going tubular on the rear too. At first I looked into the various springs on the market, Eibach, SPC, Hotchkis, Belltech, Moog and finally DSE were among my choices, but I just couldn't pull the trigger yet. I consulted with Scott W. at GNS Performance and he really gave me honest opinions about achieving my goal of having my GN handle better. He didn't push the product he sells, just gave his opinion and answered my many questions. Then finally he suggested maybe going to coil overs. I never saw myself being able to afford these, but he told me about the ones that Ridetech makes for the G-body now. After reading a little more about them and looking into price, I realized that was the way I wanted to go, so..... Here's my project for this winter....:D If anyone is interested, I can take pictures on the journey as I put this together before Spring of 2012. The rear arms are adjustable UMI's with root-joints for full articulation and the fronts are UPR's that Gbodyparts sells. I plan on going with an adjustable rear bar from DSE on the rear to replace my old stock replacement rear bar. Ultimately, I want the car to sit around 1.5" lower than what I currently have with my Moog stock replacement springs and airbags. I'll go to 17'' or 18" wheels later, so my Centerline Convo Pros will be retained for a while. I have 15x7 front and 15x8.5 rear with 275-50 Mickey Thompson ET Streets, so I'm concerned about contact in the rear. Wish me luck and chime in with any suggestions. Bear with me as my motivation level fluctuates as the temperatures outside plummet.

Attachments

• coilovers.jpg
    coilovers.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 700
  • suspension.jpg
    suspension.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 652
Looks good man! Can't go wrong with ridetech. I just installed my ridetech rear triple adjustable shockwaves, can't wait to drive it!

Yes it came with everything except the T-bracket to mount the lower front shock to the lower control arm. It was designed for their control arm design. You can see this on Ridetech's website. My arms take the stock shock mount. Oh, and the spanner wrench was extra too.

how is the quaility of the rear brackets i know there was some concern about the weight of the rear on the lower shock perches? If you dont mind me asking what did they set you back and did you get them from ridetech directly?
Chris

Before you tear everything down do yourself a favor and scale the car. Scott learned this after he put everything on his. This will give you a base line so you can see what changes have been made once you get everything done. DonWg has also learned about this after I bugged the crap out of him.:) It tells you where the weights are and where they need to go so you get a better handling car.

Also, before you start tearing into it you might want to document everything you do and write it up. Since some of my posts have been poluted I'd suggest that you do this in word and number the pics as you go so that you can post it as quickly as possible for the info and then answer any questions after you get done:)

They look pretty stout with quality welds. I'll post photos when I get home. Paid $1300 with free shipping from GNS Performance.

I thought those front a-arms looked familiar. Glad to see them being put to good use.

Michael

That price was for the front and rear.
Mine are not adjustable, but they do offer them in single and double adjustable. I didn't plan on auto crossing it, but I may decide to try it later. I may regret it then, but for now I think my non-adjustables will be fine for street duty. I've attached pics of the rear brackets and the assy as it would be configured.

Thanks CharlieF1. Most of what I read came from you and ScottW. I will try to document it as much as I can. Luckily I haven't started yet. As far as scaling the car, I would like to do it, but I have no idea where to get scales to do a wheel by wheel scaling. Have any suggestions? I hope this will help others out, as well as be a learning experience for me since I am more familiar with drag racing this car.

Hey Michael, you kinda set this avalanche in motion! Hope you have a good X-mas my friend. :)

Attachments

• rear coil brackets.jpg
    rear coil brackets.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 462
  • rear coil assy.jpg
    rear coil assy.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 451
You live in dirt track country Tim. There's got to be at least one dirt track near you and the smart racers will either have their own scales or know someone that has a set. You can scale the car fairly cheaply if you talk to them and I'm sure one of them may even want to help you with it.:)

That price was for the front and rear.
Mine are not adjustable, but they do offer them in single and double adjustable. I didn't plan on auto crossing it, but I may decide to try it later. I may regret it then, but for now I think my non-adjustables will be fine for street duty. I've attached pics of the rear brackets and the assy as it would be configured.

Thanks CharlieF1. Most of what I read came from you and ScottW. I will try to document it as much as I can. Luckily I haven't started yet. As far as scaling the car, I would like to do it, but I have no idea where to get scales to do a wheel by wheel scaling. Have any suggestions? I hope this will help others out, as well as be a learning experience for me since I am more familiar with drag racing this car.

Hey Michael, you kinda set this avalanche in motion! Hope you have a good X-mas my friend. :)
Tim I am glad your happy with the shocks, If you can not find or use a set of scales to scale the car at the very least weigh everything that is sitting there ready to be installed and then weigh all the old stuff once it's off so at least you know what the difference is between the parts.

Give us a call if you have any more questions.

Happy Holidays!
Scot W.

Thanks for the tip Scott. I've got a co-worker that races circle track, so I'll ask him tomorrow if he knows anyone with scales I can borrow. With the holidays, I'm not gonna have much time until the first of the year.

I resumed work on the suspension yesterday. My work was limited to removal of the old components and installation of my new UMI upper/lower control arms with root-joints. I was hoping to install the coils overs, but it turns out that Ridetech sent the wrong bolts for the installation. I'll be contacting them tomorrow to get that straightened out. Here's what I started with....

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 380
  • susp before.jpg
    susp before.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 368
After removing the coils, I removed the rear sway bar and the stock arms. I was really surprised that the attachment bolts came off easily after hearing about how terrible they can be to get off.susp removed.jpg

The kit for the coil overs includes 1/2" bolts to attach the lower mount brackets. This requires drilling the factory holes oversize. I used a step drill and drill extension. You can see the new arm in the background.
drill hole1.jpgdrill hole2.jpgdrill.jpg

Now here is the concern I have about this install. The Lower coil over mount bracket. See how it mounts up? It is held by two 1/2" bolts. When I read their instructions it included a photo of their Shockwave mount bracket. Its attached by three 1/2" bolts and appears to be a stronger design. I'm concerned that this bracket can shift in its mount. I will discuss this with Ridetech. I'm no engineer, but the three bolt design provides for a more stable mount considering the vehicle's weight is on this bracket. The open hole in pic #2 is where I'm waiting for the correct bolt. The upper mount bracket in pic #3 has no issues. I'm wondering if this lower bracket needs a gusset going vertical up the factory control arm bracket for more stability. Let me know your thoughts if agree/disagree.
bracket mount.jpgbracket mount2.jpgupper bracket.jpg

Now this is my main concern that you can't see in the above pics. Look at the gap between mount bracket and the factory control arm mount as seen from above.... I'm worried that this will lead to the mount bracket flexing or shifting. If it sat flush, I'd feel more comfortable. Am I wrong to think this? The vehicle's weight is out on that bracket and acting like a lever.
Bracket above.jpg
Like I said, I plan on talking to Ridetech about this. I'll post up what they say. I don't want this bracket failing due to a failed overstressed bolt and sending my rear tires up into my rear quarters. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

I have the same rear setup and I also worried about the mounting brackets. I think the side bolts will hold it tight and the front to back bolts will keep any other play away. If I didn't powdercoat my rear I might have just welded the brackets in. Ridetech also sent me the wrong bolts.