well.... its a sad day...

Esasky's85GN

RACE ME WITH WHAT?
Ok kids...

Not a good day today. Got my throttle body back from Steve Monroe. Got my MAF screen from Rick Lutz. All was well. Set IAC and TPS... car running good. Took it for a ride, got on it.... and.... CLUNK! Had to baby the car back home. Sounded like it was running on 5 cylinders. BLMs went to like 140. Shut it down, pulled spark plugs 2 and 4.... looked good. Pulled number 6... the plug tip was crushed into the electrode. :-( I am assuming I busted a valve or a spring or wrist pin let loose.

Now.... my question to u guys is... do I cut my losses and sell the car as is or do I dig into the motor and spend money I done have and attempt to find time to fix it?

park it and save up some $$$ to fix it. Selling it is a DUMB idea ;)

Selling it an you will be kicking ur self in the butt later.

2nd place is 1st place loser!

It has been one problem after another. I done have the time or extra money to put into it. Just sucks cause I haven't driven this car much at all.

Problem is if you sell it you wont get much because it doesn't run. Even if you want to sell it you need to fix it first or you will lose your ass. Keep or sell, but you need to fix it first

Problem is if you sell it you wont get much because it doesn't run. Even if you want to sell it you need to fix it first or you will lose your ass. Keep or sell, but you need to fix it first
Yeahh even if you decide to sell, not many people will want to buy a car that doesnt run...And then You'll have everyone and their brother trying to low ball you to the extreme...better sleep on it.

ForumRunner_20120531_000726.png

ForumRunner_20120531_000757.png

ForumRunner_20120531_000829.png

Damn thats exactly what i need a complete roller. If only i had some lowball money to steel it from you HMMMM
How much do you want for it????

It has been one problem after another. I done have the time or extra money to put into it. Just sucks cause I haven't driven this car much at all.
In 5 years now all I've been able to do is drive the car on the trailer and off with a rod knock and 2 rotten rear quarters.:mad: The frame was even rotten and it's got less than 50K on the ticker so far.o_O Got an 82 GN that will come next when I'm done with this one but you wanna bitch? Get the damn thing fixed and drive it for a while so you can have some fun and enjoy it.:D

I am not going to make any decisions on whether or not I am going to get rid of it now. I want to let it simmer for a little bit. I just hate to see the car go back into the garage and just sit there because I dont have the time, money, or honestly the drive to tear it back down again and start over. Higher priorities such as my wife and 2 year old have placed the car on the back burner.

As for price.... if I decided to sell... with everything I have into it if someone were to offer me 10k the way it sits, I would probably let it go. I know that aftermarket parts dont appreciate in value and I know that I would loose my ass selling that way it is. Other things in life are just more important to me now. My wife says the same thing... at least see whats wrong with it. Well, when you pull this out of # 6 cylinder (see pics) you know something aint right.

As far as compression Rick, I did not check that. I am a little leary to turn motor over fearing that it will just disperse any possible chunks of metal through bearings.

The motor still ran. just ran on 5 cylinders. definitely a very loud upper valve train noise coming from #6. If it were a valve, and that happened to the spark plug, I can only imagine what happened to the piston and cylinder wall.....

Attachments

• IMG_20120531_082131.jpg
    IMG_20120531_082131.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20120531_082120.jpg
    IMG_20120531_082120.jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 183
Buy a used shortblock even if its a hot air that you need to drill for the oil return. Bolt all your goodies to it and have a ball. I did the same thing two years ago. I was going to sell the car as a roller and sell the parts off. Glad I didn't!

iv almost sold my car like 20 times now vi had offers up to 12 to 15k for it as a roller i even had an old guy say hed comme with 32k for it be he never showed
trust me dont sell the car speciayl as mint as that body is you will hate your self for ever. having a tr is a way of life its hard to swallow some times but.
just park it in the garage get a lawn chair sit in front of it with the hood open drink a 12 of good beer and you wont be able to resit pulling the heads off .
the gn bug will bite.
ps i have a 18 month old and a 1 month old and im only 23 theres lost of time in life for gn and two kids

i'm in a similar boat....hold on to it. there aren't many left out there. I have 6 kids so i def understand but your kids will love the car too!!!! put a cover over her or put her in garage. take your time. fix it when you're ready. and a 12pack of beer is always a good thing!!!! ;)