What intercooler are you running and for what reasons have you made this selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vertical flow installed. 1500cfm estimated flow and picked up a decent amount of core area compared to the old one.

9b2f26ee04a4fbf6b2ca9d912984b047.jpg
f7acb51589880c1e55b750270ceec7a1.jpg
eacbadd8fe7831d15931e4c870f98f40.jpg
df2d9daf6c85a05884ece09305c435c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks real nice!

Any data on inlet & outlet differential pressures & temperatures?

Vertical flow installed. 1500cfm estimated flow and picked up a decent amount of core area compared to the old one.

9b2f26ee04a4fbf6b2ca9d912984b047.jpg
f7acb51589880c1e55b750270ceec7a1.jpg
eacbadd8fe7831d15931e4c870f98f40.jpg
df2d9daf6c85a05884ece09305c435c1.jpg

Looks pretty sweet any delta p's or inlet/outlet temps logged yet, interested?

Nice mounting. Looks like a good portion is in direct air flow.

To anyone who has been paying attention to this thread,you understand that Bison is searching for an intercooler that doesn't just cool well. It has to flow a lot of air as well. The better the flow,the less restriction and the less work the turbine has to do to achieve any desired boost level. Because of this,less heat is put into the air before it enters the intercooler. If we heat the air less,we don't need as efficient an intercooler. The idea is to pass air through 37 short tubes instead of 15-20 long tubes. The fewer the tubes,the more restriction. The longer the tubes the more restriction. This is the configuration that most intercoolers for our cars have. Few long tubes. Bison's intercooler core is 25" wide with 37 short vertical tubes that are 12" long and 3.5" wide. It flows 1,500 cfm. Another core of equal dimensions with horizontal tubes of the same width will flow 560 cfm. Many years ago Jim Bell stopped selling a horizontal tubed intercooler called Big Boy. He then sold a little vertical tubed intercooler called Big Boy with 33 short vertical tubes and many people laughed. The first design flowed 450 cfm. The second smaller design flowed 1,050. The people at ATR did a similar thing. It probably flowed 1,200 cfm. The typical horizontal tubed intercooler for our cars has a core that measures 11" x 24" x 3" and flows 450 cfm.

To anyone who has been paying attention to this thread,you understand that Bison is searching for an intercooler that doesn't just cool well. It has to flow a lot of air as well. The better the flow,the less restriction and the less work the turbine has to do to achieve any desired boost level. Because of this,less heat is put into the air before it enters the intercooler. If we heat the air less,we don't need as efficient an intercooler. The idea is to pass air through 37 short tubes instead of 15-20 long tubes. The fewer the tubes,the more restriction. The longer the tubes the more restriction. This is the configuration that most intercoolers for our cars have. Few long tubes. Bison's intercooler core is 25" wide with 37 short vertical tubes that are 12" long and 3.5" wide. It flows 1,500 cfm. Another core of equal dimensions with horizontal tubes of the same width will flow 560 cfm. Many years ago Jim Bell stopped selling a horizontal tubed intercooler called Big Boy. He then sold a little vertical tubed intercooler called Big Boy with 33 short vertical tubes and many people laughed. The first design flowed 450 cfm. The second smaller design flowed 1,050. The people at ATR did a similar thing. It probably flowed 1,200 cfm. The typical horizontal tubed intercooler for our cars has a core that measures 11" x 24" x 3" and flows 450 cfm.

Throw a dog a bone here...this was a Turbobitt and Bison project. I had two design concepts and we successfully made both and will be in the process of gathering data on both.
AG

All this and core sizing should be that it's not going to add unnecessary weight to the car. It's possible to increase cooling and reduce pressure drop without adding a bunch of weight. Especially hanging out front like that. I don't have a lot of data yet but it's looking like .5-1psi less drop at 5200ish at 75ish lbs/min air flow. I might be able to see a little more with manifold pressures in the 30psi range because it drives into the converter quite a bit harder with the extra pressure. Would need to go 120+ to grab good data but don't want to drive those speeds with the lousy front tires I have on the car.

Is this something we will be able to buy at some point and is there a target "mod range, hp range, quarter range" that this IC is intended for??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Throw a dog a bone here...this was a Turbobitt and Bison project. I had two design concepts and we successfully made both and will be in the process of gathering data on both.
AG

I did think about this and hoped you would let it slide. I do understand that you are just as involved and so I do appreciate the work you've done and the money you've spent. This project is a big deal for this community. It is certainly a big deal to me. Thank you.

All this and core sizing should be that it's not going to add unnecessary weight to the car. It's possible to increase cooling and reduce pressure drop without adding a bunch of weight.
I realized your thinking when I saw that you chose a 3.5" core. If you would have chosen a 4.5" core it would have flowed more with diminishing amounts of extra cooling with unnecessary weight. This is a project of compromises and I like the ones you've made. Good job.

I realized your thinking when I saw that you chose a 3.5" core. If you would have chosen a 4.5" core it would have flowed more with diminishing amounts of extra cooling with unnecessary weight. This is a project of compromises and I like the ones you've made. Good job.

The 4.5" core would require fabricated tanks and would be better suited to higher airflow and mass flow. Probably what I'll do with my faster car in the future and probably 3.5" piping.

The 4.5" core would require fabricated tanks and would be better suited to higher airflow and mass flow. Probably what I'll do with my faster car in the future and probably 3.5" piping.

That reminds me of something else. We were mostly focused on temps in the past. There's no need to focus mostly on flow now. Lets not go too far in the other direction. As we make more power,we can make different compromises.

That reminds me of something else. We were mostly focused on temps in the past. There's no need to focus mostly on flow now. Lets not go too far in the other direction. As we make more power,we can make different compromises.

Keep in mind these Intercoolers are designed for G bodies. Most of the faster G body cars are turbocharged v8

I did think about this and hoped you would let it slide. I do understand that you are just as involved and so I do appreciate the work you've done and the money you've spent. This project is a big deal for this community. It is certainly a big deal to me. Thank you.
it was more of a little joke comment and I took no offense.. I have a little thicker skin than that.
AG

Status
Not open for further replies.