What intercooler are you running and for what reasons have you made this selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will add to this with my recent findings. Last year I was running a CAS V1 best mph was 151.1mph , 8.9s in the 1/4. Didnt matter if it was 28 to 35psi boost. This year I switched to an intercooler with half the pass length, and it is located in the stock location. On 32psi, the car has already gone 154.3mph amd 8.75 1/4 mile.

I will add to this with my recent findings. Last year I was running a CAS V1 best mph was 151.1mph , 8.9s in the 1/4. Didnt matter if it was 28 to 35psi boost. This year I switched to an intercooler with half the pass length, and it is located in the stock location. On 32psi, the car has already gone 154.3mph amd 8.75 1/4 mile.
I saw you post with the timeslips along with some pics. l noticed right away the slic. It definately is different from any past or present slic I've seen. Those times are very impressive with that intercooler.

I saw you post with the timeslips along with some pics. l noticed right away the slic. It definately is different from any past or present slic I've seen. Those times are very impressive with that intercooler.

Hell those times are impressive no matter what kind of intercooler!!!!!!!!!

Agree with that,better to give up flow with a denser charge than to have more flow with a less dense charge.curious to know what the delta p's are after some testing,please post

Based on Forcefeds results giving up flow left power on the table. Most likely due to high drive pressures and wasted work. He ran in swamp ass air last weekend also. The kind of air that really hurts with under hood mounted Intercoolers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And with a properly designed intercooler, you wont give up temp. Charge air temps are not even 10° higher with this slic. You really dont need air to flow across the core going down the track. The intercooler needs to be large enough to act as a heat sink to absorb the heat. And then you need to cool it before the next run.

You really dont need air to flow across the core going down the track. The intercooler needs to be large enough to act as a heat sink to absorb the heat.
Exactly right. Aluminum has the ability to soak up alot of heat. If you want to demonstrate to yourself how much heat it can soak up,cook some meat in a cast iron pan and note how fast the pan heats up before cooking and note how much hotter it gets during cooking as compared to an aluminum pan. The difference will be surprisingly obvious. This is why Red Armstrong designed a stock location intercooler scoop with a flap that closed off the incoming air during boost. The stock scoop just funneled the hot air that you find inches above the hot black track into the intercooler during a run. When he cooled the intercoller and blocked the air supply during a run,his engine made more power. He learned this all those years ago.

Does it have many short vertical passages,or does it have relatively fewer and relatively longer horizontal passages.
Short vertical passages. End tanks are top and bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_3479.PNG
    IMG_3479.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 310
Exactly right. Aluminum has the ability to soak up alot of heat. If you want to demonstrate to yourself how much heat it can soak up,cook some meat in a cast iron pan and note how fast the pan heats up before cooking and note how much hotter it gets during cooking as compared to an aluminum pan. The difference will be surprisingly obvious. This is why Red Armstrong designed a stock location intercooler scoop with a flap that closed off the incoming air during boost. The stock scoop just funneled the hot air that you find inches above the hot black track into the intercooler during a run. When he cooled the intercoller and blocked the air supply during a run,his engine made more power. He learned this all those years ago.

Don't know if I would agree with this. I agree that aluminum soaks up more heat, but the heat would still need to be dissipated because the heat is a constant under boost. Think of a brass/copper radiator that will soak up even more heat than an aluminum radiator of similar size, there is a reason why they come with air deflectors when driving, and why some will overheat when they are missing those deflectors because the hot coolant is a constant under a load. Or even with your example of a pot made of cast iron versus aluminum; fill both with water and boil and yes the aluminum will stay cooler, but put lids on both and that water inside will continually rise in temperature, regardless...

Then again an honest datalog using both scenario's would give us all the truth though...

Last edited:
Pure CU has about 60% higher heat conductivity than AL. Tensile strength of CU is much lower and the ability to weld copper is not an easy task. I would bet no one makes a copper core either.

IMO; You may need 1/2" copper plate to maintain the structural integrity of the IC. I typically try to learn from areas where the budget is unlimited, like F1. If copper truly had an advantage they would probably use it, even if cost was $200K/HP.

Pure CU has about 60% higher heat conductivity than AL. Tensile strength of CU is much lower and the ability to weld copper is not an easy task. I would bet no one makes a copper core either.

IMO; You may need 1/2" copper plate to maintain the structural integrity of the IC. I typically try to learn from areas where the budget is unlimited, like F1. If copper truly had an advantage they would probably use it, even if cost was $200K/HP.

https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/store/Copper Intercoolers/c300/index.html
This guy makes them

They use copper in a lot of other places mainly because it’s cooling ability is a lot better than aluminum. Refrigerant systems love using copper. And still do.
In a lot older antique cars copper was the thing to be used for radiators.

I could understand what bison is saying.
You want something that has low pressure drop.
Little temperature change from ambient.
Not heavy
And cheap to make.
If you could do all these things then that’s the winner
Aluminum

https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/store/Copper Intercoolers/c300/index.html
This guy makes them

They use copper in a lot of other places mainly because it’s cooling ability is a lot better than aluminum. Refrigerant systems love using copper. And still do.
In a lot older antique cars copper was the thing to be used for radiators.

I could understand what bison is saying.
You want something that has low pressure drop.
Little temperature change from ambient.
Not heavy
And cheap to make.
If you could do all these things then that’s the winner
Aluminum

Nothing worthwhile is cheap to make!

Nothing worthwhile is cheap to make!

Haha yes exactly we can't have it all.

A long time ago someone showed me this. you could have two
but you can't have all three
20180208_101022.jpg
you can build something :
cheap and fast. But it's not going to be good.
Cheap and good.but it's not going to be fast.
Good and fast. But it's not going to be cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.