You can type here any text you want

0 Compression on #1

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I've also blown a headgasket and got no milkshake or overheating...just sounded like crap limping it home. The #4 blew out towards the headers where there are no oil or water passages.

58474d1224132494-wtb-victor-reinze-head-gaskets-vr2.jpg

My headgasket looked just like yours when it blew out on the # 4 also,towards the header.:mad:

Just finished taking the head off the driver side and it was cracked right down the middle with the center piece "chunk" missingin the piston itself. It's probably still attached to the rod. :redface: Guess I'll be pulling it out and going through it. Positive note, I wanted to go through the engine compartment anyhow and make it nice. Here are a couple pics if i can get them to down load.

Has anyone ever heard of a piston doing this?

Ohhh, also...The SCE looked ok for the most part. The #3 cylinder had a slight oval shape. Might have been leaking due to having only 122 compression reading.

Ray

Are your pistons hypereutectic??

Are your pistons hypereutectic??

Dave, I believe they are the stockers, so yes.

Scott - The cylinder are in great shape as well as the GN1 cylinder head. No damage anywhere else that I can see from the top side. I will pull the pan this weekend hopefully if time permits and take a gander. I might just do what you suggested, and be up and running in the next week or two. Anyone got a spare stock piston/rod laying around:p

Thank you for you input fellas. And any other advice would be appreciated.

Dave, I believe they are the stockers, so yes.

Scott - The cylinder are in great shape as well as the GN1 cylinder head. No damage anywhere else that I can see from the top side. I will pull the pan this weekend hopefully if time permits and take a gander. I might just do what you suggested, and be up and running in the next week or two. Anyone got a spare stock piston/rod laying around:p

Thank you for you input fellas. And any other advice would be appreciated.

The stock piston aren't "hypers". If those are stock I"m shocked that the top could have been blown out like that with the extra steel reenforcement in the stock piston's head.

looks like the piston failed to protect the headgasket......

Bob

That piston was cracked first by detonation or a very violent "pop". Then you must have ran the car again (without knowing it was cracked) and the combustion started acting like a blow torch and melted the piston. That's what happened to me one time....violent pop on one run and then I ran again and got a piston that looked just like yours...

crackedpiston.JPG

Wow, that some great information, thanks. Next time around I will be adding a lot of fuel and getting a wide band to boot to monitor A/F. Although, in my case i didn't hear a pop or anything. I know I had knock and after I was able to look at the scan master it showed 15 degrees. I think next time I will get my wastegate ported and move up on boost slowly like I should have done in the first place.

Can anyone tell me what pistons these are in the picture??? If stock, are they forged or hyper? I might just try replacing the piston like Scott Atk pointed out. Worse case, I'll just pull the engine and go through it with all forged goodies:wink:

Looks like a stock piston. But stock pistons are cast. they are neither forged nor hypereutectic.

Back