1/10 scale brushless fun

darkred87T

I bought this thing a few months ago and up until now have only been running 7 cell NIMH batteries. It's a Rustler VXL with the Velineon brushless motor and ESC. Well, I bit the bullet and bought a 3S 5000Mah LiPo battery and charger and man does this thing cook.:eek: They say with my set up and the right gearing it will go over 75 MPH.

Does anyone know much about these? It's hard to find good info like how to store the LiPo battery. I guess the brushless thing is kind of new to the R/c car world. Herer are some pics. I'll try to get some vids later:

Attachments

• 000_0145 (Medium).JPG
    000_0145 (Medium).JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 000_0146 (Medium).JPG
    000_0146 (Medium).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 179
Forum

rcuniverse.com has a nice forum. They even have one dedicated to Traxxas models. Also, your local bookstore will have a few decent RC magazines. I prefer Radio Controlled Car Action. Lots of good stuff in there. I'm not big on electric, or I'd offer a tip or two. I got into nitro about 5 years ago, and haven't owned and electric since. The new brushless technology might draw me in someday though! :p

Thanks, I'm a member there. Either I'm not naivgating the site correctly or there's really not alot out there yet on them.

Iv'e been messing around with r/c cars since I was a kid and have had a couple of nitros including one I currently have besides the electric. My brother bought the Tower Terror recently and then the E-max for his son. It sparked my interest in them again and I bought the Rustler.

Each one has it's ups and down though. Nitro is messy but you can just fill the tank and go while it takes an hour to charge the LiPo for my electric. Either way they are a good excuse to get out when your sitting around bored.

Lipo has been out a little while. It is especially popular with planes/helis. With car/trucks, it has been reserved basically for racers, because it was too expensive for the average joe. Now, demand is up, production cost is down, and they are affordable.

Now, demand is up, production cost is down, and they are affordable.
Well "affordable" is relative Lol. But they did make it easy to obtain and Maxamps sells a very user freindly charger/battery combo. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I've been messing around with the R/C stuff again, used to race alot when I was a kid.

Now I have a Traxxas Revo (nitro), a Losi mini T pro, a micro T, and an RC18R. I run the brushless/lipo setup in the 2 1/18 scale cars, its a blast. My mini T is pretty much undriveable, it wheelies at any speed. The RC18R is a rocket, handles awesome and has AWD so traction is pretty good.

I will tell you this: NEVER fully discharge a lipo pack. I killed 2 by letting them discharge to 9 volts (3 cell packs) and then letting them sit for a few months. I'd charge them, then store them somewhere cool. I've heard of guys keeping them in the fridge even.

Man that shares the same plateform as my nitro JATO.

Be careful with the wheely bar, ive stripped the screws out twice from wheelyin at around 50-60mph on mine. IT WILL FLIP OVER BACKWARDS WITH NEW ASHFAULT! I think its rated at 67mph from the factory.

Mine is about a year old, and currently sitting at work so i can play with it on break time.

Talk about going by in a blurrrrr at top speed:eek:

I kept blowing the tires off the rims and had to glue them back on if i floored it from a dead stop, i had to learn to control wheel spin and the tires last alot longer.

BW

I was looking at the Jato. That's the AWD Nitro 2SPd right?

I burned up the dirt tires that came on mine driving it on asphalt and had to get the street tires. Now I have two sets of rims and tires, one for the street and one set for dirt. I don't race them or anything I just play around. I guess I got carried away with this one lol. But's it's fun as heck. Maybe I'll check out a local track sometime.

Its a 2wd traxxas stadium truck, lots of fun but i try and keep it on the pavement.
Its rediculous to drive on sand/salty roads, the pavement must be clean for it to stick.

TRAXXAS Jato 3.3 - Overview

I think i would have more fun if it was AWD:redface:

BW

It is alot of fun, can you upgrade the brushless motor now that you have alot of juice for it?

BW

I know there's differnt pinion/spur gear combos available as well for more top speed but I don't want to give up acceleration for top end. Although the power seems unlimited with the LiPo.

Man guys, You're making me want to go home and fire up my RC10GT. I guess I'm going to put the batteries on charge tonight. :D I'm a huge fan of silly amounts of power. I'm currently running an OS .18TZ in it, the biggest challenge is keeping it shiny side up. :eek:

But then again I like toys with balls. there's also an Ultra Sport with a piped Rossi .53 and a Super Sportster with YS .63 4-stroke in it in my stable. Can we say vertical. :wink: